SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Halyard for Asymmetrical Spinnaker on PSC 37

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  exterra 
#1 ·
Do I need to modify the halyard on top of the mast, in order to use it for Asymmetrical Spinnaker? I have the spinnaker with the ATN sleeve. Would it jam with the forestay.
Thanks for the Help.
Jacob Bogatch
KB2C

#2 ·
Jacob,
You can purchase a spinnaker halyard fitting from Lafiell the manufacturer of your mast for less than $20.00. Its a SS double loop for 2 halyards that mounts to the plate on the top of the mast.You can google La Fiell for their address and phone.I believe that they are in New Mexico.
good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

#4 ·
Jacob:
Rereading your original post, to answer your question directly, I think the answer is "yes". The mast head sheaves carry the main halyard, genoa halyard and a spare for possibly a storm trysail (although my rigger advised putting a cheek block about halfway up the mast for the storm trysail - which would allow use even if the mast were to suffer damage - another topic for another post).

So to use your new Asail, I believe you need the mast head fitting with the bails so you can attach a block for your Asail halyard. If you look at the photo carefully, you will see a messenger line where our Asail halyard would normally go. I'd advise you to ask your rigger, but that's how its setup on our PSC37.

#7 ·
Yeah, the mast-head spinnaker bail is what you want. It will get the spin halyard further forward of the main mast section and help to prevent entanglement. Especially if you plan to use a chutescoop/sock, which are bulky and need some space up the top.

Our boat has LeFiell's single bail version, which works great. But our masthead headstay toggle is tucked in close to the masthead assembly. It looks like the headstay toggle on the 37 protrudes quite a bit further, necessitating the split bail seen on Talisman's masthead.

I wouldn't at all mind having that split bail with a spare spin halyard, or at least a messenger ready to go.

P.S. Arisatx, good thinking to take a photo of the masthead. That will come in handy...

#13 ·
The purpose of the spinnaker crane / bails is to get the hallyard free of the head sail.

If you take the hallyard out at he top sheave and through a block at the crane you would get a bad lead - giving chafe on the hallyard.

Then it's better to let the hole spinnaker hallyard run outside the mast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.