Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009

LoonSong is on a distinguished road
Arches

We are considering an arch for our PSC 37. All kinds of brands out there--any experience or thoughts? Would be for wind generator, dinghy davits, radar and possibly solar.
Years ago there was a posting from a PSC 37 owner who had designed his own and had it fabricated in Annapolis, I think.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Generally these are all "custom" jobs. As far as I know there's no standard arch - too many differences between hardware locations even on similar boats.

Look for a reputable SS fabricator in your area, try to get a look at some of the jobs they've done, and don't be afraid to ask about one you like - owners are usually happy to talk about these kinds of projects, esp the successful ones. If you're lucky they'll also tell you about things that maybe didnt' work so well after all.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-23-2009

billbalme is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at putting an arch up too - there must be someone out there with a design to work from for a 37... Come on BunkyII and NiftyNickers - I know you're out there - share the wealth!! :-)

My dream would be an integral push-pit and arch which would allow stern rail mounted seating, provide location for outboard, gantry for outboard, solar panels, wind machine, stern anchor, etc. Needs to be high enough to not affect the vane steering and provide anchorage for bimin/awning arrangement...

Any recommendations in the MA/RI area of a good fabricator?

Thanks,

Bill
s.v. Toodle-oo!
Old 10-23-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Mine is not a PSC, but I thought I would show some pics of whqat we did and why.

Instead of SS, you might consider a high grade aluminum. The aluminum will be lighter. It will also give you the ability to go to a large diameter tubing. This is important because you will likely have many wire runs, and the larger tubing makes them easy to do. You will also find the aluminum less expensive.

The negative of the aluminum is it can pit. THat is why I suggest a high grade, coated aluminum where this is minimized (if at all). Mine has been up for over two years and has shown no negative effects.

Just some pics and food for thought....

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-23-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Not sure who that was in Annapolis... but a good fabricator known for their davits is Kato Marine. I think they'll do a custom arch too.

Doug Griffiths (sp?) of PSC 37 Kindred Spirit has a nice arch arrangement. Maybe he'll pop in here and show it off a bit (I have photos he sent me a while back). He's even got an off-set Sailomat windvane to go with it.

I've always liked CruisingDad's arrangement on his Catalina 400. The one change I'd want to make is to somehow incorporate the davits into the arch -- if it's possible to do so without having excessive rake. My absolute ideal would be to incorporate the stern rail/pulpit, arch, and davits all into one unit.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-23-2009

DGriffith is on a distinguished road
It would be my pleasure!Arches-kindred-spirit-003.jpg
Old 10-23-2009

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
Stern Arch

Hi Guys,
NiftyNicker's arch is constructed of Powder Coated Aluminum and is custom unit that is a one-off built as a class project in a Vocational School welding class.We donot have dinghy davits nor do we have a built-in motor hoist both of which I wish I had.The wind-genny has it's own mast partially guyed to the arch.My arch is too low in my opinion and I suggest at least 6' from deck to bottom of arch.
Depending on the weight of your outboard you can use the arch as a lift point but I have a Garhauer lifting davit for my 100lb. motor.
One other lesson I learned was to raise the radome much higher than your head
even standing on the seat to watch for lobster pots.I got a burn on my neck using the radar in fog ,in Maine, while standing on the seat.DUMB !I've since designed and built an offset to raise and move the radome forward.
The arch is an excellent solar panel mount and also for various antennas such as a wifi,GPS,or 2nd VHF .We use it for a canopy attachment and even lights and speakers for the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
Arches-dscn2750.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009

FirstSightPS31 is on a distinguished road
Arches that don't fall.

Kato Marine did my davits, and although they were not custom, their attention do detail is superb. They make custom arches, and I am sure they would do a great job.

Madden Mast and Rigging, which is just up the road from Kato, also does custom fabrication (nice picture on the web site). They made custom dorade covers for my PS31, and the work is excellent.
First Sight PS31 #128