Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
Gentleman Bill Crealock

Sad news-WIB Crealock (gentleman Bill) has died at the age of 89.Apparently complications from a broken hip.More info in Yachting and Boating World.
Fair Winds and following seas Bill.
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers Crealock 37 #139
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Rest in Peace Bill

That is sad thing, but Bill Crealock's legacy will no doubt live on for decades to come.
Old 10-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Chuck,

I hadn't heard. Thanks (gulp) for passing along the sad news.

Anyone who'd like to read a short obituary can find one here.

Like so many other Pacific Seacraft owners, we had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with WIB Crealock on several occasions in Annapolis. Invariably one had the sense of being in the presence of a rare gem of a man -- that unusual combination of natural brilliance, acquired experience, self-deprecating wit, modesty, and warm charm.

"Bill" had a friendly, easy way about him. He'd stand in front of the assembled crowd, responding to the same questions that he'd heard year after year from would-be blue-water sailors (e.g. "What are the benefits of the skeg-hung rudder?" or "Why not a full-keel?"), as if it was the best question he'd ever heard and the first time he'd heard it. Always a polite, thoughtful reply.

Certainly his small boat designs pale in significance when compared to his larger projects (see, e.g. Irving Johnson) --- Bill was one of the rare few true "Naval Architects" designing production sailboats. But his goal (at least with his Pacific Seacraft series of boats) was not to produce the fastest hull form, rather instead to create a wholesome sailing boat, in a sturdy, comfortable package equally capable of working the coast or transiting an ocean. Plenty of builders today claim to produce "ocean rated" boats, but very few offer designs in the mid-low-30 foot range, much less a 24 footer, with those capabilities.

After a decade of sailing his designs (first a Dana 24, now a Crealock 31) I can attest that the man had rarified talent. Spend even a short stretch aboard his boats and you cannot help but appreciate the convenience and safety features he incorporated into these designs, and the genius behind them. On many occasions while pressing along in challenging conditions, I've told my anxious kids not to worry because "Bill Crealock designed this boat to take good care of us."

This past weekend, we ripped across Chesapeake Bay with a single reefed main and partially furled genny in a solid nor'wester, turned up the Eastern Bay close-reaching steadily at over 6 knots, rounded Tilghman Point, headed across the mouth of the Miles, turned up the Wye River, pinched our way up around Bruff's Island, cracked off a bit and poked our way upriver to a tiny creek. Sailed the entire way, often with newer, flashier "modern" designs motoring along beside us. We had a foul bottom, but maybe we had a little nudge from a helping hand too.

Thank you, Bill, for these wonderful sailing machines and the memories we make in them. You'll be missed.

I invite owners of any Crealock-design (PSC or otherwise) to post a photo or two here in tribute to the Gentleman.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 going to weather:

And at anchor:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-14-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 10-14-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
It's always a shame to see another one of the old guys shuffling off. Inevitable as it may be there is always a sense of loss.

There was a Crealock design on a mooring near us for some time and I never passed by without thinking what a good looking boat she was.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-14-2009

ralopata is on a distinguished road
As per John's "Memorial Request," if I uploaded correctly, here's another of Bill's designs, the PSC 40, underway somewhere between Long Island and Newport.

Just to echo the other posts, Bill was a true gentleman, a lively wit, and a delight to meet.

Fair Winds Bill.

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46
Attached Thumbnails
Gentleman Bill Crealock-juno-off-block-jpg.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009

j.cook is on a distinguished road
Bill Crealock

I see a lot of familiar names, from several e-mail lists, writing in after
the passing of Bill Crealock. We all share a lot of good memories of great
ocean rides, all thanks to the wonderful designs that Bill provided. As requested, I'll post a photo, too. Rest in peace, Bill.

Jared Cook
Bunky II
PSC 37 #344
Attached Thumbnails
Gentleman Bill Crealock-bunky-ii-sunset.jpg  

Last edited by j.cook; 10-16-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2009

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Well said John. I never met you Bill but what you've left us all speaks volumes. Fair winds and rest well.
Attached Thumbnails
Gentleman Bill Crealock-psc34-peace.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009

DGriffith is on a distinguished road
To all my friends, I shed tears today. To most of us, we just sail a Crealock. I had the fortune of speaking to Mr. Crealock over the phone some years past and he thanked me for my call and we just had a nice personal meeting. I will always remember when (for me i'm quite shure) he said to me AHHH the 37 my favorite design! Google wib crealock and read the obit from LA Times. A great photo from the family album. Doug Griffith Crealock 37 #249
Old 10-15-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Doug et al,

Here is a link to the LA Times obit Doug mentioned.

Similar to the other one, but with a nice photo of Bill at the helm in his younger days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-15-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Bill Crealock will be missed greatly, especially in the Pacific Seacraft community. He designed beautiful and amazing boats that have carried countless people over the horizon and back safely, and are a delight to sail. I did not have the opportunity to meet him, but those I know who did speak of him highly.

If these photos don't show up, they are also in my Gallery.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.