Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009
Redwood Coast, CA.

fishtrip is on a distinguished road
Water on counter top getting under trash bin

Hello All,
Does anyone else have a problem with water on the counter top (in galley) running under the lid of the trash bin?
We try as hard as we can to keep this from happening, but invariably some water from the sink, doing dishes etc. leaks under the lid and runs down the side of the trash bin. it gets trapped in the bottom of the locker and is a real bear to get dried out. I've been thinking about making a small fiddle running fore and aft to go between the sink and trash bin, but I'm hoping someone has a better idea. We don't use the trash can for trash, but have our laundry soap, bleach (for our water tanks), lamp oil, and other things we would not be happy about if spilled or punctured............ any Ideas?
David Schachter
Cloud Messenger
PSC 37 #293
San Francisco, CA.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
David:
We have not noticed that problem in the galley - but in the head. We keep a clean sponge on the sink just to mop up the water that we seem to always find there. Your idea of a fiddle sounds like it could work.

We just winterized for the long off season up here on Lake Michigan and I noticed some mold under that wastebin, so I suspect we've had the same issue but just haven't noticed it. Let us know what you come up with.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 10-27-2009

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
We had a fiddle between the sink and the trash can depression but had to remove it when we replaced the sink. It was just a small varnished piece of teak with a cross section to match the teak aft of the sink, trimmed at each end to fit tight against the teak fore and aft of the sink, and glued to the counter top. It had no fastenings holding it in place.

Our sink was filled with very small crevasse corrosion holes on the side with the salt water tap. The surveyor missed them, but we found them the first time we washed dishes. Looking up from inside the cabinet the bottom of the sink looked like a planetarium with dozens of points of light. The temporary fix was to buy a can of Bondo and a pair of rubber gloves and rub the Bondo over the bottom of the sink. Little green Bondo worms came up through the stainless, and when they hardened we broke them off. That worked for a year until we were able to find a sink that was just a little wider than the original. When it went in, the fiddle had to go. We now have the same water under the trash can problem that you have.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34
Old 11-16-2009
Redwood Coast, CA.

fishtrip is on a distinguished road
Hi Bill and all interested,
We've been underway the last few weeks and what with dodging the remnants of Ida etc. I Just haven't checked this site. I'm glad (in a weird way) to hear we aren't the only ones with this problem. I did have a chance to talk to the P.O. of Cloud Messenger yesterday and Bob reported having the same problem. His solution was to have a "dedicated" towel that he rolled up and placed between the sink and trash bin when washing dishes. Bob also said he had always thought about a fiddle, but never got around to it... I guess the towel worked.
I think we will have a fiddle made when we reach Coco beach since I have a good friend who is a boat carpenter there and I'm sure he'll do a better job than I would

David
Cloud Messenger
PSC 37 #293
San Francisco, CA.
(currently anchored at Jekyll Island, Georgia)
Old 11-16-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Slightly off topic but this summer we discovered that with full water tanks and a good breeze close-hauled on Port tack that water came pouring out of the spiggot for the freshwater foot pump. It, of course, was mounted between the sink and the trash and with the boat healed over nicely the water missed the sink utterly and went straight into the trash. Very cute and probably the reason we never noticed the water from doing the dishes which was inconsequential by comparison!

Jay

PSC 37, # 171, Kenlanu
Old 11-16-2009

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for mentioning the problem with the fresh water spiggot Birdbrain. I haven't noticed this problem on a PSC34, but I'll be on the lookout for it. Do you think this would happen even with a new/rebuilt foot pump? Yikes!
Old 11-28-2009

sailorgirl60 is on a distinguished road
that spigot

I just had the counter tops replaced so I added teflon tape to the threading on the spigot and a new o-ring. The only time it leaks from the spout itself is when I over fill the foreward tank???? Beats me!

Sailorgirl60
s/v Gypsy Palace
Crealock 37
Old 11-28-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
I really liked the advice on this board to fill both tanks but shut off the valve at the base of the forward tank, use the aft tank, and then open up and use "both" tanks. The idea being that the water from the forward tank is higher than the aft thank and therefore 1) puts pressure on the aft tank cover and 2) leads to leaking from the spout.

I'll let you know next June if this scheme has any merit.

Jay

PSC 37, Kenlanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl60 View Post
I just had the counter tops replaced so I added teflon tape to the threading on the spigot and a new o-ring. The only time it leaks from the spout itself is when I over fill the foreward tank???? Beats me!

Sailorgirl60
s/v Gypsy Palace
Crealock 37