Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009

cvsheppard is on a distinguished road
Lavac

I would like to replace my toliet with a Lavac but concerned about the proper location of the manual pump. Does anyone have any experience installing this brand?

s/v Credence II
PSC 34 #159
Portland, Or
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Follow the instructions in their manual, which is online. If you need to deviate from it, their support will confirm how far you can go.
Old 11-20-2009

Thank you, I plan to do so but I was still looking for anyone with personal experience.

s/v Credence II
PSC 34 #159
Portland, Or
Old 11-20-2009

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvsheppard View Post
Thank you, I plan to do so but I was still looking for anyone with personal experience.
Mounted mine behind the head, back mounted to the bulk head. There is a pretty wide variation on how complex the plumbing is based on how many configurations you want to support. Mine pumps to holding tank, pumps to thru-hull, pumps out holding tank, pumps out bilge.

Paul L
Old 11-21-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Our's is as per Paul_L. Obviously the top of the loop must be above waterline, other than that, no problemo.

If we were to buy a new boat, first thing I'd do is instal a Lavac.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-21-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Lavac on PSC 37

Dear Carl, I just did this job last spring on our 1985 PSC 37 and while I would not call it a piece of cake, I'm delighted with the results. As you can see from the attached photos, I wanted to minimize the number and shorten the length of hose runs. I therefore put the pump inside the door of the cabinet behind the Lavac. By cutting the door in half I have enough room to get my arm in there to turn the two Y-vales I used but you can't see and turn at the same time which baffled the first mate for a while but she now has the drill down.

The bend in the hose coming off the top of the pump and up under the gunnel (and anti-siphon) was VERY tight. I thought I was going to have to use an elbow but happened to just leave everything almost in place with a drop light on inside the cabinet. When I came back to it a couple of hours later for "one more try" the light had warmed the hose perfectly and it bent in place with ease. I adopted that technique for all the sharp bends and was delighted with it.

As you can see in the picture the head did not entirely sit on the built in riser. I had had to cut an access door to get a wrench on the nuts holding the old head in place so I simply epoxied nuts into holes in the cover piece and now have an easily removable cover/front hold down. Glued to the back of the cover is a piece of 1/4" ply which *exactly* fits the opening in the front of the riser so that any sheer forces are checked by the ply. Complicated to explain but fairly easy to do.

If I can be of any help please let me know,

Jay

PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu

P.S. I Included one "before" shot of the head. JP
Attached Thumbnails
Lavac-lavac-_and-varnish.jpg   Lavac-lavac-lid-up.jpg   Lavac-head-overview-high.1jpg.jpg  
Old 11-22-2009

BirdBrain,

Thanks, that was exactly what I was hoping for, ideas on mounting the pump and the pictures were a great help. That was a clever idea mounting the pump as you did. Very nice job. I had a hard time visualizing exactly how to mount the pump and which pump to order. I think now I may follow your lead. I didn't realize that the bowl would sit so far forward either.
Thanks again for your time and pictures.

s/v Credence II
PSC 34 #159
Portland, Or
Old 11-22-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I have installed two Lavacs with one more to go...

Click here

Please note my comment on how I got permission to do this. (note this will be the boy head).

"My ideal boat would have all the hoses, wires, pumps etc. mounted in the living areas of the vessel and not in lockers, under deck boards, behind liners etc. This would make maintenance much easier. It would also make TIH a "boy boat" and pretty much guarantee that I would be cruising singlehanded.

Imagine my surprise, then, when the boss approved the mounting of the lavac pump on the interior bulkhead (that's a wall, for you landlubbers) of the forward heads."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-24-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Lavac: Which pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvsheppard View Post
BirdBrain,

I had a hard time visualizing exactly how to mount the pump and which pump to order. I think now I may follow your lead.
Actually the Henderson pump comes with the Lavac so no need to order separately as it seems to be a fine pump and able, as someone said, to handle anything short of an old tennis shoe!

Good luck with the install, Jay

PSC 37, Kenlanu
Old 11-29-2009
s/v Pelagic

jnewcomer is on a distinguished road
I was onboard another C37, s/v Juniata, that has a Lavac installed. Here is where he found space for the pump. You have to get inside the drawer locker, but he had removed the drawers anyway and had access.

John
s/v Pelagic C37 #22
Attached Thumbnails
Lavac-_0035c.jpg