Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the update, such a beautiful vessel!

We have a 34 and really want to convert to tiller, can you tell me how you like it?
Thanks,
Erika

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

karlinD is on a distinguished road
Good morning Erika.

Since I have wanted a 37 with a tiller for about 30 years the decision to go with a tiller was made years ago. Tiller vs. wheel seems to be a comparable debate to the manual steering or power steering in a fine sports car. When I am not catching a nice breeze and holding the tiller, there are additional benefits to having the tiller: I really like the cockpit being open without the pedestal in the middle of the cockpit. One of the photos I posted shows the custom SS auto-tiller bracket which reverses the tiller towards the stern so that the cockpit is unobstructed underway while motoring or sailing on a long tack in a light breeze. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way! Incidently, it was the favored steering option for the original design of Bill Crealock.

There are surely many owners that wouldn't consider a tiller, not yacht-t enough or not as auto-pilot friendly as the wheel along with other valid reasons.

For me, I like the tiller!

Good luck in making your decision.

Karlin
Old 08-28-2011

Thanks, being a woman I was wondering if The tiller might manhandle me in rough weather. what have you observed in heavy seas? I have quite a few sea miles and have learned to distrust hydraulic and cable steering, thankfully the captain has the same distrust :-).
The largest vessel I have sailed with a tiller is a west sail 32. At times i was hard pressed to keep the tiller where I wanted it, especially when she was over powered, or in running seas, or if a wave slaps the rudder ( npt a fan of WS, found them to be very uncomfortable). Anyways, we also thought to just buy a whole new rudder from ps rather than have Rain Dogs current rudder shaft welded, do you have any opinion on that?
Thanks,
Erika

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

Old 08-28-2011
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

Erika,

In a heavy blow you might end up reefing earlier, there's no doubt the tiller can be challenging. You should talk to Thumper at the factory, they have had a wave of wheel to tiller projects and can share with you all their knowledge. The 34 is actually more difficult than the 37 to convert.

Karlin
Old 08-29-2011

Thanks Karlin, will do
Erika

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

Old 08-29-2011

Alannc44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlinD View Post
Upadated Photos!

Hoping that all the Pacific Seacraft friends in Little Washington and other related Irene areas are safe and escape any problems.

If you need any details regarding the installations shown in the photos, let me know.

Karlin

Windflower
Kon Jeni-Al made it safely through the storm tied up at Carolina Wind in Washington...thanks to the great care Jules showed her. By the time I showed up Friday afternoon to check on her, he had already doubled up on the lines and all that remained to do was put in an extra spring line. Their marina is situated in such a way that NE winds from hurricanes are blocked by structures. Someone posted a picture on the internet during the height of the storm that shows the pier completely under water, but mine, and several others' boats easily riding it out. Thanks again to Jules and David Norwood. I understand several boats that were moored became casualties of other boats that broke free during the storm. Sounds like more than one wound up against a bridge. All reports aren't in yet.
Alan
Old 08-29-2011
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

Alan,

Nice to hear from you. The Norwood's clearly have their focus on taking care of their customers. They are a real asset to the NC boating community and Pacific Seacraft. I had considered taking Windflower to Little Washington for hurricane season and ended up hauling her instead and putting her in a safe warehouse on my farm instead. I am feeling pretty proud of that decision right now even though it sounds like minimum problems resulting from Irene.

Since my tiller removed all under-deck mechanisms, I am looking to install a 3.5 Kw Next Generation deisel genset in the newly created space at the rear of the engine in Windflower and if I do the job, I will post photos. With the genset, I can run heat or AC while on the hook and use 2/10ths (draws from deisel tank for the Yanmar)of a gallon per hour of useage. The blender would use less!

Karlin