SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   PSC31 Core Moisture (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/60619-psc31-core-moisture.html)

rlaird 12-17-2009 11:40 PM

PSC31 Core Moisture

I'm about to become the proud owner of a PSC31. Just had the survey done today. The moisture meter picked up some damp readings around each of the deck fills/pump out.

Has anyone had moisture issues on deck? Should I figure on having to remove, inspect, repair and rebed the deck fittings or could there be some other reason for this reading? The boat has a full canvas cover and the temperature was slightly above freezing during the survey.

While I'm at it, any pointers on adding a staysail? She is sloop rigged, with the mast and deck fittings for the inner stay available.

Thanks for your thoughts & Happy Holidays.
Rob
Wind Chimes

orientalnc2010 12-18-2009 10:19 PM

Hi Rob,
I have found that moisture readings are best translated by the surveyor taking the readings. There are different meters with many scales and only a seasoned surveyor can best tell you how elevated the readings are in comparison to the rest of the deck. Moisture meters are not absolute so the results need to be compared to the percussion soundings. Does the surveyor describe the suspect areas in his percussion report, did these areas sound sharp and clear?
It does seem odd that just the areas around the deck fill/ pump out ports gave "damp" readings and no other areas around the other deck hardware were elevated. My personal opinion would be to remove the most accessible suspect fitting and inspect the core, then you can sleep at night.
Good luck and congratulations if you accept the survey, you are going to love the way the boat sails. Before you decide how to rig your staysail perhaps you should sail the boat for a bit first. I have a cutter rig also but sailed her as a sloop my first season and will continue to due so. When my plans include going offshore then I will know the boat well enough to choose what arrangement will make me happy.

davidpm 12-18-2009 10:55 PM

I've been playing with my moisture meter quite a bit lately. I've noticed that if their is metal the other side of the glass the meter will read off the scale. Is their any chance their is some kind of metal backing plate near the fills. Or maybe the meter is reading the fill tube.

As was mentioned if you pull the fitting you should be able to see and feel wet core in the hole if that is the problem?

JohnRPollard 12-19-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orientalnc2010 (Post 552192)
... Before you decide how to rig your staysail perhaps you should sail the boat for a bit first. I have a cutter rig also but sailed her as a sloop my first season and will continue to due so. When my plans include going offshore then I will know the boat well enough to choose what arrangement will make me happy.

If you plan to primarily sail coastal for the time being -- this would be my advice as well.

P.S. Congrats on the boat!! You'll love her.

rlaird 12-21-2009 08:51 AM

Core Moisture / Rig Consideration

Folks,

Thanks for your feedback.

On the rig: I'll run her around the block a few times before I make any changes. I'm not going off shore for another 4 years or so probably, so no real need to add the staysail at this time.

On the moisture thing, I'll see if the yard can take a look, as I don't have time to get at it before the 'closing' date on the deal. It would be nice to know what I'm faced with before I plunk down the change!

I am really looking forward to the spring splash and taking a spin!!!

Happy Holidays,
Rob