Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009

rtblock1 is on a distinguished road
Second Furling Jib

We've been doing a fair amount of sailing recently in heavier winds and larger seas and are looking for ways to improve our windward abilities.

Has anyone tried adding a second jib furler for a working jib led inside the outer shrouds as Calder suggested in his Cruiser's Guide?

It sounds like a good idea although it would involve some compromises and expense. When the wind builds and we are beating we frequently lead the existing genoa to the inside tracks and furl the genoa down to less than 100%. The results are modest since the sail shape is so poor.

His idea of adding a second furler on the bowsprit inside the first and fitted with a smaller working sail has got me thinking.

Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated,

Merry Xmas

Roger Block
Shango PS 40
svshango.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtblock1 View Post
We've been doing a fair amount of sailing recently in heavier winds and larger seas and are looking for ways to improve our windward abilities.

Has anyone tried adding a second jib furler for a working jib led inside the outer shrouds as Calder suggested in his Cruiser's Guide?

It sounds like a good idea although it would involve some compromises and expense. When the wind builds and we are beating we frequently lead the existing genoa to the inside tracks and furl the genoa down to less than 100%. The results are modest since the sail shape is so poor.

His idea of adding a second furler on the bowsprit inside the first and fitted with a smaller working sail has got me thinking.

Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated,

Merry Xmas

Roger Block
Shango PS 40
svshango.com
perhaps you should switch to a smaller jib set on the existing furler...that works fine for me...a 10 minute pain, plus the loose sail kicking around in the forepeak for a while, but it sure does the job.

Having a second forestay with furled working jib would be convenient but the expense of doing it right would be a killer for most folks...if your boat has provision for a second jib tack location you would be halfway there, otherwise you face some material structural work. Plus you may then need to add running backs...
Old 12-25-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
This may be a duplicate reply as my first seems to have gotten lost.
I had an HR 41 with an arrangement with tow headstays with rollerfurel with about a foot of one annother. The pinciple advantage was to be able to wing out a jenny on each side for long downwind cruising legs. I had the all-purpose jenny on the inner stay and a light aire jenny on the outer. Again this worked for long legs. If using the outer jenny I would lead the sheet outside of the head stay and to tack or jibe bring the clew arounbd forward of both headstay. I think this arrangement is good for long distance cruising with long steady legs, otherwise it's probably not worht the expense
A nnother arrangement I sailed with a long time ago was a 3/4 headstay that made down on the middle of the foredeck to a levered tensioning device that allowed it to be disconnected when not in use. The advantage of this was to be able to run a storm jib from it. When heavily reefed setting a storm jib aft of the headstay helped to heep the center of effort from moving too far forward and causing a lee helm.
Old 12-25-2009

MC1 is on a distinguished road
This is a Saga 43 with double headsail. Is this similar to what you had in mind?
Attached Thumbnails
Second Furling Jib-saga-43-dbl-hdsl.jpg  
Old 12-25-2009

Here's another pic of the Saga 43 showing the inner jib deployed. Isn't there some commandment about not coveting thy neighbors Saga? . . . I'm doing my best to repent.
Attached Thumbnails
Second Furling Jib-saga-43-dbl-hdsl2.jpg  
Old 12-25-2009

. . . and one last pic of the Saga 43 with forward jib deployed . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Second Furling Jib-saga-43-dbl-hdsl3.jpg  

Last edited by MC1; 12-26-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: (correction)
Old 12-26-2009

rtblock1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the picture. This is the arrangement I was considering. Is this your boat? If it is, any comments on it's effectiveness?

Thanks
Roger
Old 12-26-2009

No, it's not mine, but I believe it's a standard configuration on the Saga 43. You might want to ask about it over at the Saga owners group, which I believe may be hosted at Yahoo. (From a post here at Sailnet under the Saga forum: "The Saga Yachts group has moved to Yahoo Groups. Go to Yahoo, select groups, find the Saga Yachts group and sign up." ). I haven't checked over there at Yahoo so I'm not sure how active they are.

If no luck there, consider doing a YachtWorld.com search on Saga 43 (I see 5 are for sale) and contacting the brokers to see if one of the sellers would be willing to speak with you about it. Most of us love to talk about our boats, so I'd guess you might get some information that way also.

If you get some good information on this configuration please keep us posted here, we'd be interested in hearing the results.

BTW, I checked out your SVShango website listed in your signature - looks like you have a beautiful PSC 40.

Last edited by MC1; 12-26-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: (correction)