SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   encapsulated keel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/61104-encapsulated-keel.html)

83XT4 01-07-2010 04:46 AM

encapsulated keel

Hi all,
When i purchased my PSC 37 the previous owner told me the keel was encapsulated, and on haul out inspection all looked good, and in fact is fine.
I have now hauled to redo anti-foul and discovered the keel has a skim coat of, i'm not sure, epoxy maybe then solid lead. This is not my understanding of "encapsulated".
So my question is, should i fair the lead keel before anti-foul or can i just paint the lead straight up.?
What has avery one else done?

Appreciate comments
Gvain

JohnRPollard 01-07-2010 06:23 AM

Hi Gvain,

We have not had to do any fairing of any kind on our keel. As far as I can tell, it is only coated with bottom paint. Maybe your previous owner put an epoxy barrier coat over the entire bottom of the boat, and that is what he meant by "encapsulated"? **

If the epoxy, or whatever it is (could just be a layers of hard paint), is in good shape and still adhering, I don't know why you wouldn't simply paint over it.

**Yeah, despite what the previous owner told you, Crealock 37s do not have encapsulated ballast. At least not encapsulated in the usual sense, which typically refers to ballast placed into a portion of the fibreglass hull that is shaped like a keel.

Our boats hav an external lead keel casting that is bolted to a keel sump/stub in the hull. It is the same for any of the Pacific Seacraft models with fin keels (i.e. Crealock 31, 34, 37, 40, and 44). Only the older designs with full keels (Flicka, PSC 25, Mariah 31) and the Dana 24 had internal, encapsulated ballast.

83XT4 01-07-2010 07:05 AM

thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.
I thought this to be but you would think a guy who owned it for 5 years would know.
I am so glad it is not encapsulated.
It does have quite a layer (2mm) on the keel and i can see that it has had a grinder over the lead, or some form of roughening up for a fairing compound to adhere to.

The shipwright at the yard was under whelmed when i asked him about it and said i could put a layer of glass mat and tie it in with the keel, but i think that is going too far.

cheers again
Gavin

MC1 01-07-2010 07:09 AM

Although the keel is not encapsulated, you do want to preserve the integrity of the barrier coats under the anti-fouling paint to help protect the fiberglass hull below the waterline from blistering. Epoxy barrier coats are added as extra protection beyond the Vinylester resin used in the outermost lay-up. If you're unsure about this aspect at all, I recommend you do a little homework there before proceeding.

JohnRPollard 01-07-2010 07:31 AM

Gavin,

What year is your boat?

I don't like the "shipwrights" suggestion to put fibreglass on the external portion of the keel. Sometimes there a small seem is visible between the lead keel casting and the keel stub, but that can be faired with some filler.

wsmurdoch 01-07-2010 09:21 AM

Last year at our fall haulout a 1ft^2 area of 1/8" thick fairing compound on the side of the keel was found to be loose and was removed exposing bare shiny smooth lead. It was repainted with no preparation with Micron CSC. By the time we got to the Bahamas in March, the bottom paint had disapeared from that area of the keel and also (as usual) from the leading edge and bottom of the keel where bare corroded and barnacle root covered lead had been painted over.

This year I had all of the fairing compound removed from the metal part of the keel, the lead ground to a rough bright surface, then following International's recommendations the surface was treated with a wash, 9 coats of Interprotect epoxy, a little fairing was done, and then it was painted with Micron Extra.

We will see how that works.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34

deniseO30 01-07-2010 10:21 AM

"everybody lies" re: Dr House (tv show)

Alannc44 01-07-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 557473)
Hi Gvain,

**Yeah, despite what the previous owner told you, Crealock 37s do not have encapsulated ballast. At least not encapsulated in the usual sense, which typically refers to ballast placed into a portion of the fibreglass hull that is shaped like a keel.

Our boats hav an external lead keel casting that is bolted to a keel sump/stub in the hull. It is the same for any of the Pacific Seacraft models with fin keels (i.e. Crealock 31, 34, 37, 40, and 44). Only the older designs with full keels (Flicka, PSC 25, Mariah 31) and the Dana 24 had internal, encapsulated ballast.

Ironically, there was a question on a ground plane antenna system that had to do with grounding. In answering the question, Steve Brodie responded with an answer that seems relevant to this thread too. Please see the "Ground Plane" thread and the posting I made about 1:00PM today (1-7-10)

Alan

JohnRPollard 01-07-2010 01:30 PM

Thanks Alan. That's good info.

I suspect this is what the p.o. of 83XT4's boat must have meant when he said that the keel was "encapsulated". I can see how confusion could arise. He should have been a bit more specific and added "in epoxy.":)

Back to the question, I would say that if the epoxy is intact and still adhering, then simply re-painting is all that's called for. If there are some bare or flakey spots, then following Bill Murdoch's advice to use the International/Interlux method of sealing and fairing would seem like a good approach.

83XT4 01-07-2010 03:38 PM

Thanx guys and girls,
it's 1994 model voyager #274
it would only be the bottom 300mm that is flaking off, plus the leading edge of the keel.
Definitely not glassing keel. Think the micron balloons faired over exposed lead is what i''l do, then paint.
ANd monitor barnacle growth.
It appears alan's response is what is going on down there.

Well of to the yard
Bye
Gavin