Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Reefing Madness!

This is my first boat with the "convenience" of the "Single Hander's Package" aka most lines led aft to the cockpit. How do others go about reefing in anything less than half an hour? Right now the process is as follows:
1) Go up to the mast to raise the topping lift
2) Go back to the cockpit to lower the main halyard
3) Go up to the mast to moving the Cunningham hook up to the new luff cringle
4) Go back to the cockpit to winch in the Cunningham and then the leach lines
5) Go up to the mast to ease off the topping lift
6) Go back to the cockpit to trim sails and take a nap!

This is obviously unsafe and makes me feel, as Claire Alcard once described herself, a demented poodle.

I am used to 2 line jiffy reefing (luff and leach) with all lines led to the mast -- usually just about 55 seconds for the whole job, one trip to the mast and back.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Jay

PSC 37, Kenlanu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
You should at least be able to get the toppingg lift adjustment out of the process. Perhaps you have the lift set looser than required, i.e. just a little slack when the main is trimmed hard? If set properly, you should be able to ignore it while reefing.
Old 01-27-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Sounds like we have a different setup, but I do it all from the cockpit. I ease the main halyard while winching down on the luff line. I keep the luff tight this whole time.

Once that is done, I winch down the leach line and then tie off the extra sail. If I thought the reef was going to be in for a long time, I would probably additionally hook the luff cringle around the reefing horn and tighten the halyard. Daysailing I don't usually bother with this since a winched down leach line provides a good sail shape.

With two line reefing, and the current setup on my boat, you can only do this for one reef. Currently it is set up for the first reef, but I am thinking about setting up the second reef to be done from the cockpit and just go forward for the first. Putting in the first reef at the mast should not be that scary. For the second I would prefer not to leave the cockpit.

There is also plenty of room left on the port cabin top to lead two more lines back to the cockpit.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-28-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
You should not need to adjust the topping lift to reef and you should be able to run a tack reef line back to the cockpit for each reef so that you do not have to go to the mast at all.

On my boat, I have permanently rigged 2:1 tack reef lines for each reef. They are set up with one end tied at the gooseneck, then running it up through the reef cringle, then down to a block at the deck and then back to the cockpit through the organizer. It is important that both falls of the reef line are on the same side of all of the slugs so the tack does not have to thread between the slugs. For offshore work, I would want to sew on either leather or ballistic nylon chafe gear where the cringle rides on the tack reef line when reefed. Same with the clew reef line.

To reef I ease the vang and mainsheet, I have marked my main halyard with a whipping that I can feel in the dark, and so I can drop it to the exact right length for the reef. Once the halyard is dropped to its mark, in reality, the tack line has next to no load on it when you are tensioning it, so the tack line is very quick to pull in.

Only after making up the halyard and tack line, do I take in the clew reef line. I typically get the clew mostly in, get mainsheet and vang tensioned and the boat sailing under main again and then crank in the last bit of the clew line, making small eases in the vang and mainsheet as I go.

This is a very fast reef system, most of the time I can get a reef pulled down in less than a minute without having to alter course and on most points of sail except a dead run. The final tensioning of the clew line takes a minute or two longer. On a comparatively tiny mainsail like the PS 37, the reef itself should be even quicker, except that your mainsheet system is such a PIA that getting the mainsail trimmed could kill a bunch of time.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-28-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
So, in that setup, your main halyard is also in the cockpit?

Old 01-28-2010

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
So, in that setup, your main halyard is also in the cockpit?
Mine are, also:
I have rigid vang and removed the topping lift, one less thing to worry about.
I mark my main halyard as well so I know how much to ease it.
I have a single line reefing:
cockpit->luff grommet->thread through the boom->leach grommet->tied to the boom.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul

Last edited by teejayevans; 01-28-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2010

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the great replies. I'm glad to hear that it can and is being done and done well. Sounds like i need MORE, not fewer lines led aft in order to have the lines tightening the luff permanently "at the ready."

Thanks again, Jay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.