Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Offshore in a 34

In spite of the beautiful winter weather we've had this year in the Pacific Northwest, I'm sitting around daydreaming and wondering why I'm not wintering in a warmer sunnier climate. This of leads me to maling lists of what I would need to do to do some serious world cruising. Unfortunately that new 40 footer that Seacraft is offering fantastic deals on is not an option.

My boat is currently sitting on the hard with the rudder off and the shaft out for replacement. The shaft spun loose in the coupling about four years ago and I finally decided to bite the bullet and fix it right before venturing around Vancouver Island this summer. So now I'm sitting around dreaming of far off places and making a list. The list is pretty staggering. Here's what I have so far.

1. Replace rigging. The boat is 19 years old and it's approaching its time.
2. Refrigeration. I brought this up in an earlier thread. I have engine drive with 110 backup. I would like to eliminate the 110 and replace either just it or both it and the engine drive with a 12v system. It's a tough call.
3. SSB. I have the ground plane and insulated back stay, but no SSB
4. Wind vane steering.
5. Life raft
6. Solar panels
7. Dinghy. I have a couple of dinghies now, but neither stow well on the boat and I just tow them behind in my NW cruising.

So my questions for anyone that has done serious offshore cruising in a 34 footer.
1. Do you carry a life raft and where do you carry it?
2. What kind of dinghy do you carry?
3. What have I forgotten?

John
'91 PSC 34
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
If you get an answer to the dingy qwstion will be surprised.I have had all kinds except folding,each one was difficult to store.Life raft ahead of cabin on deck.marc
Old 02-07-2010

Pegasus34 is on a distinguished road
I have no first hand information, but I recently found a web site that details modifications made to a PSC 34 in preparation for a cruise to the south Pacific. The web site is: swancruisedotcom. I hope you find it helpful.
Steve
1987 PSC 34
Old 02-07-2010

fastcruiser is on a distinguished road
Good day John, in response to your questions:

- we have an Avon 4 man raft mounted on the main hatch garage just forward of the dodger. This keeps the weight in the centre of the boat and the fore deck clear for dinghy stowage. Also, good access to raft (hopefully never needed !)
- after trying several dinghies, we believe that we have found the optimum for the Crealock 34. It is an AquaPro 710 Sportmaster RIB built in NZ but available in PNW. 7 ft. 10 ins. in length, light aluminum bottom and easy to handle. Works well with a 2.5 HP Yamaha 4-stroke - also light, easy to lift and store on the pushpit.
- Consider adding an EPIRB to your kit

Hope these suggestions help. Good luck with your dream.

1999 Crealock 34
Old 02-07-2010

Steve, thanks for the link.

Fastcruiser, an EPIRB will definitely be on the boat.
Nice looking dinghy, how do you store it on your pushpit? Do you have any pictures?
Old 02-07-2010

fastcruiser is on a distinguished road
Yamaha 2.5 HP is stored on a sturdy Edson motor-mount installed on starb quarter pushpit - keeps it out of the way of the Monitor vane. The AquaPro 710 RIB neatly fits on foredeck with its bow toward mast and angled onto cabin top, also seat can stay installed in dinghy. This allows plenty of clearance for windlass and staysail (when used - we have a detachable stay).
Old 02-07-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have a caliber 33 which is about the same size boat as yours. I have an achilles rollup dinghy. It can be lashed on deck without too much trouble or below if you are willing to give up space in the quarter berth or v berth - V berth isnt too comfortable for sleeping offshore anyway ...
Old 02-07-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Have you checked out the portland pudgy? It is a liferaft and a dinghy at once. If you could set it up so that it was lashed on deck, but had a hydrostatic release, it would probably be useful as a liferaft.

I just don't see the downside to having an unsinkable dinghy.
Old 03-04-2010

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
I have a PSC 27 Orion and have dinghy davits but no dinghy yet. I guess you could get davits for the 34. Mine fold in toward the stern when not used. I also have a Givens 6 person offshore liferaft in the soft bag. It can fit in the starboard cockpit locker but I don't think I would like to try and lift it out in an emergency since it weighs about 70lbs. There is space between my mast and dodger to strap it down.

I saw another 27' Orion that came back from a 2+ year cruise to South America / Chile, so it can be done in a 34 I am sure. He attached solar panels to his lifeline posts ( I think with SS rod reinforcement) and had a system where he could raise them up parallel to the water when needed, or stored vertically hanging outside the lifeline area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California

Last edited by LittleWingCA; 03-04-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2010

I guess the liferaft in a hard case in front of the dodger is the logical place, I just get concerned about having stuff on deck that can catch a wave. I am even more concerned with a dinghy lashed to the foredeck. I have had a couple of different ones up there and didn't the fit at all.

This summers cruising calls for a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island and that will be the closest I have ever done to open ocean sailing. I have an inflatable with a high pressure floor that I'll probably take and then store in the v-berth when necessary and on deck, either inflated or not, the rest of the time.

There is a Portland pudgy down the dock from me that I admire whenever I pass it, but I still can't see it on the foredeck in rough weather.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.