Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010

CaribbeanSail is on a distinguished road
PSC 32PH questions

Hoping some PSC 32PH owners can share some info with me!

I am looking to downsize, I currently have a 36' boat, but I also really like the idea of a Pilot House, not many options out there. The PSC looks very appealing, but there is not much easy to find info on the boat. Before I invest in traveling all over to view them, I was hoping to find some more info. So if anyone can help it would be appreciated!

What is the length of the v-berth? I am 6' tall and this is a big concern, boat bunks always seem a tad small for me, and getting into smaller boats this is a concern. By the way this would be for full time liveaboard, not weekend camping, so its very important.

How is storage? I would think with the pilot house, and thus raised saloon floor, there would be pretty massive storage for a boat this size, is this correct? Or is mostly used up by tankage (boat seems to have a lot of tankage for its size).

How is the anchor locker setup? Is divided to handle 2 rodes/anchors? Does it drain directly overboard or into the bilge? (my current boat drains to bilge and I am sick of this setup). On the same subject, does the show drain to the bilge or to a sump with overboard discharge?

Does the port dinette table drop down to convert to a setee?

Is there a bridge deck? I cannot tell from any photos I have found so far. If not, does the companionway go all the way to the cockpit floor or is there some barrier to prevent water from going to the interior in the case of a pooping? (most of my sailing is offshore, so this is a concern).

I am sure I will have more questions, but thats it for now, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2010

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
CS,

We have a PSC PH32 on our dock listed for brokerage, so I stepped out to the boat to verify. The v-berth is 6'6" or very close to it, so you should be fine at 6 feet tall. There is room to get in and out without bumping your head; I would say it's a pretty spacious and well designed v-berth cabin for a boat this size.

The raised cabin sole in the main salon does provide extra tankage as well as storage; as with any boat, some of the storage is more accessible, some less, but overall there is a good bit. There is also very good access to the engine and transmission under the cabin sole.

The anchor locker is divided - the access through the deck is through two hawseholes. There's not a locker lid, so you're not going to get as much water in there. It drains to thru-hulls below the waterline. There is access to the locker at the foot of the v-berth. The shower drain has its own pump and discharges overboard.

The port dinette table does convert to a berth.

The division between the cockpit and the cabin is managed with a removable teak cribboard. There's a minimal "bridge deck" of only a few inches, but the board locks in place between that and the bottom of the door, and has a rubber surround to prevent water intrusion from the cockpit when underway. With the board out, it's a very easy step down into the cabin. A picture's worth 1000 words.

Based on your comments, I do think this is a model that would be worth looking at. The pilothouse layout provides extra space and lots of light in the cabin that would be welcome for a liveaboard. Certainly well-built and offshore capable. I'd be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.

Last edited by SecondWindNC; 02-15-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2010

lsbrodsky is on a distinguished road
I inspected one of these shortly after my local dealer stocked one back in the 90's. I was impressed with the thought and layout, clearly a boat for no more than a couple, with really no intentions of entertaining guests. It never caught on, probably because of the compromises in such a small PH. A couple I knew at my local sailing club had a different small PH and they were never happy with it except for the weather protection. They thought it had too much windage to sail well and was less roomy than a comparable trawler. I would recommend that you find some way to test the theory that a small PH yacht would be the right boat for you, more than just a sea trial.
Larry
Old 02-15-2010

Alannc44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I would recommend that you find some way to test the theory that a small PH yacht would be the right boat for you, more than just a sea trial.
Larry
Hey Jules, I believe you guys rent one of those, don't you?

Larry, isn't it more or less the same boat as your old 31 footer?

Alan
Old 02-15-2010

Alan, yes, she is available for charter, unless/until she sells. So that's one option for getting a feel for the boat.

It is built on the same hull as the PSC 31, but the similarity pretty much ends there; the layouts are very different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-15-2010

lsbrodsky is on a distinguished road
Cannot tell where CaribbeanSail is from but if you think this boat interests you a charter is absolutely the best way to find out for sure. Walk, run, drive, or fly to get to Carolina Wind and charter.
I cannot imagine the PH would sail like the 31, even with the same hull. The PH has 1600# more displacement for the same sail area. There were a lot of similarities in the systems, but as Jules said, the layout is way different.
Larry
Old 02-15-2010

Thank you for all the replies.

I am well aware of the trade offs in sailing characteristics of a pilothouse. For what its worth the intended sailing area for this boat would be a northern route transatlantic trip then cruising iceland, ireland, scotland then possibly scandinavia. So you can see why an pilot house appeals. My main concern is general livability of the layout and size after being used to a larger more traditional layout (even though I am a single hander and rarely entertain, its nice having a large open saloon).

I am currently in Annapolis, so once snow clears I am going to go look at the one that is for sale up here, though from talking to the broker she sounds in rough condition, but it will at least give me an idea of the interior. I would certainly look at the one in NC if I find the boat to meet my needs (though I tend to avoid charter boats, having spent years in the caribbean watching idiots abuse and misuse charters).
Old 02-16-2010

SecondWindNC,

I did receive your private message, but since I have not met some prerequired number of posts on sailnet I cannot actually send one back in response, and the link to send you an email in your profile gives me the message that you do not wish to receive emails. I wont go into the detail here that I would have in a personal message, but to sum things up, if I find the model to meet my needs upon seeing the one locally here you can be assured that I will also contact you to make arrangements to see your listing as well.

Cheers
Old 02-16-2010

You're right, I think you have to have 5 posts before you can use private messages.

In the meantime, sounds like I need to check my settings as well, regarding e-mails.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.