Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010

steneck is on a distinguished road
Max Pro Woes

Last October while sailing my PS 34 along the coast of Maine, I caught a lobster buoy in my 3 blade Max Pro. The engine stopped, I started it again, put it into reverse tentatively and the buoy popped out with a gash on it. However, upon trying to resume forward, I found the prop was entirely dysfunctional. I limped into a mooring and dived to check the prop. The teeth were stripped on one blade.

Has this happened to others? I had no idea this was such an weakness in this design.

By the way, I asked Nigel Calder when he was last in town and he said feathering props are good to have. Drag is significant on fixed props. (I mention this because earlier posts were unclear how he came down on this issue).

I'm interested to learn if others have stripped a blade (on any make of feathering prop). I certainly will carry a spare fixed blade prop as a back up in the future.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steneck View Post
I'm interested to learn if others have stripped a blade (on any make of feathering prop). I certainly will carry a spare fixed blade prop as a back up in the future.
AutoProp uses no gears, has no adjustments, and only requires a little grease every 1 or 2 years. The pitch and total blade reversal is all done with the shape of the blades. The blades spin and reverse in a bearing race so if a line, bouy, or even trap were thrown at the blade it would 'save itself' somewhat by turning/rotating away.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 03-30-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by steneck View Post
I had no idea this was such an weakness in this design.
Let me get this straight- you abuse your prop by jamming up with a foreign object while motoring, damaging it, and it's the prop's fault? Wow.
Old 03-30-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Carrying a spare fixed blade prop is not a bad idea. My PSC 34 came with a spare fixed 2-blade I assumed was included from the factory (but I suppose it could have been from the prior owner).

I've done a lot of research on the Max Props and haven't come across anything like what you're describing, but I could see where it might be possible given the right set of circumstances. Are you sure you're not just a really unlucky person?

Despite the small risk, so many people have reported such long term reliability, I'd say the benefits far outweigh the risks overall. It's probably not a bad idea to practice taking off / putting on the Max Prop when people have their boat on the hard, just in case swapping in the spare is ever called for.
Old 04-01-2010

billbalme is on a distinguished road
For some reason I didn't think a MaxProp - or any folding prop for that matter would fit in the aperture of a 37 - I guess that's not right.
Anyone know what size prop I'd need - I have the old Universal 35 with 2:1 transmission...
Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-01-2010

I had forgotten about this recent Max Prop zinc improvement until I changed out a 70mm zinc on a Tartan 4100 yesterday. My supplier is now carrying a universal-style zinc (not sure who the manufacturer is) that is cast with a ring insert that keeps the screws captive even when the zinc is well depleted. The zinc in these pictures was depleted to the point that the screw holes no longer even existed, yet the zinc remnant and all the screws were still on the prop.

Old 04-02-2010

andantesail is on a distinguished road
FSTBTTMS, I sure would like to know where to get that zinc with the screw ring.

Regards,
Karl
Andante PSC34 #276
Old 04-02-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbalme View Post
For some reason I didn't think a MaxProp - or any folding prop for that matter would fit in the aperture of a 37 - I guess that's not right.
Anyone know what size prop I'd need - I have the old Universal 35 with 2:1 transmission...
Thanks,
Bill
Bill,

I believe what's being discussed -- by the PSC owners anyway -- is feathering props, rather than folding props.

Most feathering props should work in the PSC propeller aperture, as they take up about the same space as a fixed prop. But folding props wouldn't work as there's insufficient clearance.

For a while now I've wanted to upgrade our boat with a feathering propeller. The grass is always greener?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by andantesail View Post
FSTBTTMS, I sure would like to know where to get that zinc with the screw ring.
Svendsen's Boat Works in Alameda, CA. They carry three versions of Max Prop zinc, so be sure to order the right one. Their part number is 70mm UNI (or 63mm UNI or whatever).

Svendsen's Marine - Your One-Stop Source for Boat Parts and Marine Products
Old 04-02-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
For a while now I've wanted to upgrade our boat with a feathering propeller. The grass is always greener?
You should definitely treat yourself to a feathering propeller, it will be a life-changing experience ! It will be like your first day sailing all over again!

Performance in reverse is so much better, you may be tempted leave the sails furled and take a spin around the bay stern-first .