Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010

crazyfish is on a distinguished road
KiwiProp

The latest Blue Water Sailing had an article which mentioned the kiwiprop which is a feathering prop available for under US$1500.

Reviews on Sailnet from people who own them seem to be quite good.

Anyone in the Pacific Seacraft community have any experience with these.

Thanks

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Crealock 37, Hull 207
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2010

samchristo is on a distinguished road
We installed a zinc adapter on our Autoprop a few years back and have been very pleased - the adapter is well made and the cone zincs are cheaper, larger and easy to replace. The company makes a version for Maxprop. The link is Autoprop Adaptor page. (we have no affiliation)

Sam
s/v Grace PSC34
Old 12-31-2010

fugue40 is on a distinguished road
Something to consider with any prop selection is margin against cavitation. In smooth waters, little performance difference may be detectable among the various props mentioned in this thread, but when the going gets tough (punching into rough head seas, for instance...), performance differences will really show up. A standard factory installed three bladed prop on our PSC 40 id just fine under average conditions, but not in rough. 4 blades was the answer. Our 4 bladed Variprop (DF107 at 18" diameter) has been marvelous in that regard - we even have to back off on the power sometimes to keep the crew from getting beat up. The boat is more resistant to slowing after a series of nasty seas and accelerates back to speed much more quickly.
PSC 40 #60
Old 01-04-2011

andantesail is on a distinguished road
I highly recommend a folding prop. My MaxProp makes a huge difference in backing. BUT the design of the zinc is a problem because it's mounted on the butt of the prop and it dissolves at the screw points, dropping a large chunk of unused zinc into the H2O. I've painted the screws and also used the new plastic sleeves MaxProp finally began to furnish, but this is still a problem. For me anyway.
"Andante" PSC 34 #276
Old 02-05-2011

Nelsoncw is on a distinguished road
I have an Autoprop on my Catalina 42. AB Marine had rebuilt the prop in 2007. In May of 2009 and 225 hours later a blade came off. Buntons Marine replaced the blade for $1500. I had it lubricated every six months. I am always in deep water. It never touched anything but saltwater. I only go to Catalina and back. Other than the lost blade there was not any evidence of damage or distress.

At the time Steve Armitage of AB Marine told me that losing a blade was a rare occurrence and that he did not have an explanation for why the blade fell off. David Sheppard of Brunton's Propellers Ltd, told me losing a blade is an “an exceptional case”. Contrary to their comments the prop has been subject to a recall for lost blades. If you search other support groups and blogs you will find many others that have lost Autoprop blades. It demeans their credibility to say otherwise.

Although I enjoy the performance of my Autoprop my experience with AB Marine and Brunton's Propellers has been extremely disappointing. They are unwilling to stand behind their product. In all their replies I feel like I am hearing from a politician trying not to give a straight answer.
Old 02-06-2011

224 is on a distinguished road
Feathering vs Fixed Prop.

Last edited by 224; 07-15-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2011

steneck is on a distinguished road
Fix vs feathered props for PS boats

Folks,

Nigel is a good friend of mine. Two years ago while motor-sailing along the coast of Maine, my PSC 34 a lobster buoy stripped the gears on one of my Max Prop blades rendering it useless. I was not inclined to replace my feathering prop but Nigel convinced me otherwise. He's been doing more work with propellers recently in Sweden and is more convinced than ever that the drag is too great to ignore.

I do have a fixed 'beater' prop as a backup which I encourage all feathering prop enthusiasts to have as they cruise.

Bob Steneck
PSC 34 "Alaria"
Christmas Cove, Maine
Old 02-08-2011

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
These Yanmars are called "auxiliary engines" for a reason. They are just for secondary auxiliary use whereas the primary function of our boats is to SAIL. Therefore, it seems to me it is more important that a prop produces the minimum drag when sailing than how efficient it is when motoring.

And I can tell a huge difference when I sail with my Max-Prop inadvertently un-feathered-- almost a knot's difference. To me that is huge. I would never go to a fixed prop. That's my $.02.
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 02-09-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi3 View Post
And I can tell a huge difference when I sail with my Max-Prop inadvertently un-feathered-- almost a knot's difference. To me that is huge. I would never go to a fixed prop. That's my $.02.
I split the difference, went with a 2 blade fixed prop, I can align the prop vertically to minimize drag.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 02-10-2011
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I can align the prop vertically to minimize drag.
How exactly do you do that? I too have a two blade fixed and have often wondered how to align it.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.