Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

karlinD is on a distinguished road
Crealock 37 - Anchor sizing

I have stumbled upon an anchor that is a bronze version of a 35 pound CQR style anchor. Looks great on WIND FLOWER but is it adequate for the main anchor? Sailing area is primarily Bahamas and Carib.

Thanks,

Karlin
WIND FLOWER
PSC 37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2010

Podjo is on a distinguished road
Bronze CQR

The original CQR anchor has lead in the tip of the plow to aid in setting. Does the bronze one?
Old 03-02-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
I just did a lot of research on the anchor sizing topic for my PSC 34. Based on this, I'd say the consensus for a PSC 37 might be that a 35 pound CQR would be OK, but a 45 pound new generation anchor (e.g., Rocna, Manson Supreme) would be preferred.
Old 03-02-2010
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

PODJO

Yes, the tip is weighted.

MCI

I had planned on getting the Rocna until Steve Brodie at the factory sent to me a photo, I am just to vain.

K
Old 03-02-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Paint that lead! It's dangerous!
Old 03-02-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
All that bronze is Schweeet ya got goin' there on your 37!! SB is such a tease!

Maybe get the bronze CQR (don't ya have to at this point?), and store a 45lb Rocna as a storm anchor? Actually, that bronze CQR may look so nice on your boat, I'd almost hate to use it. Please do post a picture of it sitting in the bow roller if you decide to pick that one up. If it looks as nice as I think it will, you might want to give some thought as to how to secure it from someone else securing it via midnight acquisition. That's a problem with stainless steel anchors in some parts.
Old 03-02-2010

ralopata is on a distinguished road
The thread raises a question in my mind that perhaps someone on the list can answer.

What about the relative strengths of the various materials? I looked at stainless anchors and chains once, and my recollection is that stainless, while very pretty to look at, is actually weaker than the run-of-the mill galvanized steel most anchors are made of. So we went with galvanized...deciding this was a case where function was more important than aesthetics. I have no idea about the comparative strength of bronze. And I may be mistaken about stainless vs. galvanized, too. Any metallurgists out there?

And yes, I still always admire those gleaming stainless anchors I see on some other guy's bow...and bronze? That would be lovely indeed!

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PS 40 -- #46
Old 03-03-2010

lsbrodsky is on a distinguished road
I think Roger is right. My metals education is too long ago to remember but stainless definitely does not have the same strength as the typical forged CQR. A local guy here fabricated a beautiful stainless anchor and I observed hurricane winds one year tore it apart where normal CQR and Danforths held fine. Bronze is certainly not as strong, for the same size. With an anchor, it is probably best to stick with what has proven itself.

Larry
Old 03-03-2010
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podjo View Post
The original CQR anchor has lead in the tip of the plow to aid in setting.
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralopata View Post
What about the relative strengths of the various materials? I looked at stainless anchors and chains once, and my recollection is that stainless, while very pretty to look at, is actually weaker than the run-of-the mill galvanized steel most anchors are made of. So we went with galvanized...deciding this was a case where function was more important than aesthetics. I have no idea about the comparative strength of bronze. And I may be mistaken about stainless vs. galvanized, too. Any metallurgists out there?
Stainless is typically a little weaker than regular steel compared on a like-for-like basis. However it's very expensive, with the practical result that many stainless versions of steel things actually use inferior metals to cut costs. Anchors is a good example. You won't see good quality stainless in the average chandlery, stock is too expensive to hold and doesn't turn over, and that shiny stainless Bruce knock-off sitting on the floor priced at less than the galvanized genuine Bruce used to sell for is a dangerous piece of junk.

However with reputable manufacturers there is nothing wrong with stainless, and it has obvious advantages over galvanized steel if you're prepared to pay for it. Stainless can be very strong; where the steel Rocna uses an 800 grade shank (about three times stronger than mild steel), the stainless version must use something similar - a 2205 grade high tensile stainless is used. This is extremely expensive steel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlinD View Post
I had planned on getting the Rocna until Steve Brodie at the factory sent to me a photo, I am just to vain.K
Unfortunately things that work well are not always pretty - look at anything used in the military. Rocna is more concerned about how the anchor works than some romantic notion of traditionalism, which will do little to protect your boat when the anchor needs to do its job

A bronze anchor is a bit 18th century for my thinking. I'd suspect a CQR knock-off in bronze was mostly intended to be ornamental and I'd be very suspicious of the tensile strength of the alloy let alone the design quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 03-03-2010
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

Well, Roger and Larry, I did ask for valuable feedback didn't I?

Actually, I purchased the bronze CQR style anchor a few months back; it was too handsome not to go for it. About a month ago a stumbled upon the matching 25 lb bronze CQR style anchor and purchased it also. Problem was, the smaller had a slight bend in the shank and the imperfection wasn't noted until it was already purchased. It was sent to the same water blasting prop shop vendor that the larger was reconditioned by to clean and attempt to fix the slight bend. It cracked.

All this has me concerned about the dependability of the larger 35 lb anchor. But it really is a prize sitting in the roller!

I have also purchased a bagged Fortress FX 37 being planned for storage and backup.

Compromise is hard sometimes but my neck is more valuable than the "look" so maybe I will have to commit to storing a CQR or Danforth along with adequate chain rode in a port location (need to balance the load) and bring it out when travelling plans are calling for frequent anchoring.

Thanks to all for the valuable input. I'm going to attempt to maintain some vanity and set a solid hook.

Karlin
WIND FLOWER
PSC 37