Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010

andantesail is on a distinguished road
Sirius Weather Module

Hi again. Has anyone used the Sirius Weather Module for Raymarine c series chartplotters? Specifically, I have the SL70 CRC chart/radar combo and am wondering how the module works.

Thanks,
Karl
Andante PSC 34 #276
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
I have it. I've noticed they're reasonably good with the weather information for Lake Ontario, but there's room for improvement (sometimes no information, sometimes minimal information). From seeing other's feedback, I have the impression they're a bit more on top of things for the East Coast. I'll subscribe to their service again this year to see if they're improving for my area.

The integration with the Raymarine system is done reasonably well. You can page between screens that show all weather, or combinations of weather and other information such as mapping, and/or radar.
Old 03-14-2010

lsbrodsky is on a distinguished road
I had the SR100 with the E80 on Asylum and I thought it was better than sliced bread! I considered it the best safety innovation of the century. It allowed me to see NEXRAD radar and see thunderstorms long before they could threaten me. The animated wind and waves were great for planning the next day's voyage. Any weather I could get on the internet at home was replicated on the boat. It was well worth the money. The only shortcoming was that, on start-up, it took a long time for all of the data to load via satellite download.
Larry
Old 03-15-2010
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Karl,
I recently ordered the SR50 receiver to go along with our existing Raymarine
C80 series display. I've been watching this technology for awhile now and looks like the cost of service from Sirius has come down as well. About $30 month. Not sure how much difference the A series vs. the C series chart plotter weather information will be other then the A series uses the SR100 which cost about twice the amount. Hopefully I'll be as impressed as Larry was with his setup! I'll keep you posted.

John S
PSC 34 # 201
Norstar
Old 03-15-2010

andantesail is on a distinguished road
All, thanks for the input on the WX module. I've quite tempted to get it, but dread the usual hassle of initial electronics set-ups. So much to buy, so little patience.
Regards,
Karl
Andante PSC 34 #276
Old 03-15-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
How far offshore (east coast US) does the Sirius service extend?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2010

bjung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
How far offshore (east coast US) does the Sirius service extend?
Thanks
Sirius/ Raymarine guarantees 200 miles offshore, I have gotten reception at 260 nm offshore.
I can definitely recommend this system. Wind forecast range is about 3-4 days.
Old 04-05-2010
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Completed installation of the Raymarine SR50 weather module to work with our C80 display. Installation was straightforward and system works as advertised. Hardest part was figuring out where to mount the receiver which is larger then I anticipated. Mounted in cabinet just forward of nav table on starboard side back to back with nav area. System takes awhile to load initial data but when powering up but has lots of useful weather info at your disposal. Sirius subscription around $360 annual. (less then $1 day)
John S
PSC 34 # 201
Norstar
Old 04-05-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norstar View Post
Completed installation of the Raymarine SR50 weather module to work with our C80 display. Installation was straightforward and system works as advertised. Hardest part was figuring out where to mount the receiver which is larger then I anticipated. Mounted in cabinet just forward of nav table on starboard side back to back with nav area. System takes awhile to load initial data but when powering up but has lots of useful weather info at your disposal. Sirius subscription around $360 annual. (less then $1 day)
John S
PSC 34 # 201
Norstar
I've mounted the SR50 receiver in the locker under the PSC 34 nav table seat, along with a Raymarine Autopilot controller. I mounted both onto a piece of "marine lumber" (1/4" polymer sheet), bolted that to the inside of the locker, and left enough slack in the wiring so I can remove the entire setup from the locker to get at fuses / wire connections /etc. if need be in the future.

It's too bad there's not quite enough room to mount all this directly in the electronics area to starboard of the nav table. I hate to use regular locker space for this, but I guess it's a common enough problem. PSC 34s are a little stingy with the storage space, so I hate to lose any.