Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010

cvsheppard is on a distinguished road
Mounting Radar on Mast

I want to mount a Garmin HD 18 radome to the mast of my PSC 34 cutter rig and would like opinions on placement location on the mast. I my first thoughts is 1) just below the spreaders (but is very close to the staysail furler) or 2) about 6-7 feet above the spreader (this clears the steaming/deck light and mast mounted radar reflector). Mounting it to a radar pole at the stern or to an arch is not an option.

s/v Credence II
PSC 34 #159
Portland, Or
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvsheppard View Post
I want to mount a Garmin HD 18 radome to the mast of my PSC 34 cutter rig and would like opinions on placement location on the mast. I my first thoughts is 1) just below the spreaders (but is very close to the staysail furler) or 2) about 6-7 feet above the spreader (this clears the steaming/deck light and mast mounted radar reflector). Mounting it to a radar pole at the stern or to an arch is not an option.
We usually put them right above the steaming light. You can always move the reflector.
Old 06-04-2010

granche1 is on a distinguished road
radar mount

On my 37 the radar is mounted just above the point where the stay connects to the mast. Its pretty high up The previous owner had the 24 inch furuno mounted on a cast aluminum platform that was apparently too small for the conditions that I encountered while sailing from Isla Isabela to San Blas this winter. For a fun video of crisis management while aloft, check out YouTube - swinging in the rigging 2. For full entertainment value there are two videos. I ended up remounting the radar with a larger platform made by Seaveiw. Bomber now. Be sure to secure the radar cable inside of the mast in some fashion or you will be cursed with constant clanking while at anchor.

Last edited by granche1; 06-04-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: editid due to closer photographic examination
Old 06-05-2010

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
I talked to LeFeill about how they do the conduit in the mast because I was planning to add radar. They drill two holes then while holding the conduit tight with a J-Hook the rivet secures the conduit then the second hole is riveted for filler. Be sure to use Tef-Gel on the rivets.

Off topic - I decided it was too much effort and figured if Dave Mancini can sail around the world without radar that I can go without too. On my last boat I had it to watch for ships but now we have AIS.
PSC 31 #84
Talisman