Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011

granche1 is on a distinguished road
Hi David.

Fall is here. Lots of rain at the moment has me looking forward to the tropics. Thank you for the picture. My 135s fit perfectly on the rail but I am still looking to build exactly what you have pictured there. I would be very interested in seeing any other pictures of how that is set up.

I have not had time to use the sextant. I took it down there this winter but was only on the boat for a few weeks, mostly just doing work. Im hoping to generate a larger window of time this winter though.

I hope your season has gone well and that you are sailing in warm waters.

grant
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2011
Redwood Coast, CA.

fishtrip is on a distinguished road
Hi Grant,
I'll take some pictures now, but probably won't be able to post them until later... maybe tonight. I'm headed to the Pacific Seacraft factory today to pick up my new Bowmar Series 100 hatches. I didn't buy the hatches from them, but as usual PSC was there for me when I needed help. The hatches arrived defective (for the second time)! Steve and Thumper arranged for their crew to "refinish" (read touch-up) the finish on both hatches.
I'm planning on starting a new thread about my experience with Bomar but right now I'm in scramble mode trying to get the last things done before we (hopefully) shove off next week. Not in the warm yet!
David
Old 10-05-2011
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtrip View Post
I'm planning on starting a new thread about my experience with Bomar
I am about to replace my hatches, so I look forward to hearing about this! I am on the fence between new 100s vs. switching to something new.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-05-2011
Redwood Coast, CA.

Solar set-up on Cloud Messenger part 1

Grant,
Here are some pictures and hopefully a decent explanation of what you're looking at.
1) pic is an overview of the entire system, hopefully this will allow you to orient the pics to follow.
2) is to show you the attachment points of the "bows". They are the two vertical pieces of pipe and are parallel with the radar pole. The forward bow is attached to the frame of the bimini, the aft bow is attached to the stern rail. Notice the two bracing pieces of pipe too. the forward one stiffens the bimini and the aft brace stiffens the aft bow. Both the port and starboard sides are the same.
3) the radius of the bend
4)Height above the bimini to bottom of horizontal pipe is approx. 6" at center, but because my bimini has a crown to it in the center it is approx 12" measured from the outboard edges of the fabric to the bottom of the pipe. The most important thing is to make sure you make it high enough so you can lay your bimini frame back if you want to, or in your case when you leave the boat. I assume you take the canvas down???
5) good pic of all attachments at the rail. The brace with the rod holder is the one that connects to the stern bow and helps TONS to quiet the squeaking that we encountered before we installed them.
I've reached the limit to the attachments I can send so stand by and I'll send some pics of the attachment points that hold the bows together and attachment points for the panels themselves.

David Schachter
Cloud Messenger
PSC 37 #293
San Francisco, CA.
currently in Oriental NC
Attached Thumbnails
PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1816.jpg   PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1817.jpg   PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1818.jpg   PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1819.jpg   PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1822.jpg  

Old 10-05-2011
Redwood Coast, CA.

Solar set-up part 2

1) there is a 1" pipe running fore and aft, those in the picture are 15" long. Also notice the welded tabs for attaching the outboard side of the panels.
2) inboard tabs forward.
3) tabs inboard stern (one on starboard side is partially hidden by the backstay)
4)Last is a pic of orientation to the backstay ( hidden in that plastic pipe).....
Suffice to say.. it's very close.
I realized that I didn't take a photo of the boom end and its proximity to the panels.... but I can tell you they don't overlap.
I hope this helps, I'll be happy to provide more info if you want.
David Schachter
Cloud Messenger
PSC 37 #293
San Francisco, CA
Currently in Oriental NC
Attached Thumbnails
PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1823.jpg   PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1824.jpg   PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1826.jpg  
Old 10-05-2011
Redwood Coast, CA.

pic #3 didn't get attached.... here it is
Attached Thumbnails
PSC 37  Solar array solutions-cimg1825.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
I hate my Bomar hatches and portlights, I think the quality is poor. The welds break on the portlights and the paint on the hatch is bubbling. I would go with a portlight that didn't have welds (maybe New Found Metals) and not sure about the hatch.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 10-07-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Do you guys remove your solar panels when you winterize your boat? Skalliwag is about to see snow for the first time in a long time. Or do you just cover them up?
Old 10-07-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Here's my setup

https://picasaweb.google.com/1089953...01522238472274
Old 10-18-2011

tabrar is on a distinguished road
Solar system and battery bank

Hello.

I want to develop a system on solar that the load is 250 watt continous. the battery bank should support it to 2 day. can anyone guide me in it like the solar panel should i have it's ratting and about battery bank.

regards;
taqi abrar