Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010

granche1 is on a distinguished road
PSC 37 Solar array solutions

How have 37 owners addressed the placement of solar panels on their boats. I currently have two 80 watt panels that mount on a bar that goes from the stanchion just forward of the boarding gates, to the next stanchion towards the bow. One on each side. These fold up and provide about 5 amps combined which barely compensates for my refrigerator during the daytime. I am considering attempting to fabricate an addition to my bimini which is quite sturdy and is mounted on a solid rail pushpit structure, however there are only about 26 inches of clearance from the back of the boom to the back-stay and there is a radar-less radar pole that I use to hoist my 10 horse outboard. I will clarify with a couple of pictures if I can figure out how to post them. I would like to at least double my solar panel wattage and am interested in any and all solutions to this engineering feat. Many thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2010

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
Solar array

On our C37 we have an arch off the stern which holds a 130watt panel and our radome on a forward and upward offset.The offset places the radome over the cockpit high enough to avoid radiating ourselves.The arch also serves as an outboard motor hoist with a block and tackle arrangement.The arch is made from marine grade aluminium tubing and weighs approx 50lbs without the solar panel or radome.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 10-11-2010

I have continued to brainstorm this solar panel placement problem and have tentatively decided to replace the old 75watt seimans panels that fit between two stanchions with 135 watt kyocera. My concern is that the 135s are about 15 pounds heavier and they will stick up over the top of lifelines. Do you think the stanchions will be able to withstand supporting a 30lb panel? Has anyone tried this with larger panels like this? Ive seen plenty with 80 watts or so on the stanchion but never noticed a 135 in that space.

NiftyNickers, do you have a picture of your arch that you could post? I am interested in having something fabricated here in the states that I could take down and install myself on my boat in mexico. Thanks for your response.
Old 10-12-2010

We are presently cruising south and donot have the computer with pix aboard.When we return home in November I will post pix of our arch if you still want to see them.
Old 10-13-2010

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftynickers View Post
We are presently cruising south and donot have the computer with pix aboard.When we return home in November I will post pix of our arch if you still want to see them.
Being a packrat, I just happen to have a picture of Nifty Nickers from when I also was trying to find a good solution to this question.

Hope it helps, Jay

PSC 37, Kenlanu (still sans solar)
Attached Thumbnails
PSC 37  Solar array solutions-niftynickers-arch-solar.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010

Thanks for the picture Jay. That arch is nifty. I could probably live with something like that. Ive got a radar pole in about the same spot as the wind generator mast on Nifty Nickers im actually interested in putting a wind generator on my radar pole. How do you like the one that you have there NN? How much noise comes out of that thing? Ive also got a monitor selfsteering vane on my stern so I would need to make sure that the arch is high enough not to interfere with the wind vane. I like how that arch sticks way out over the water so you cant knock your block on it. Did you make that yourself or where did you have it made?

grant
s/v viandante

Last edited by granche1; 10-15-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: confusion
Old 10-15-2010

crazyfish is on a distinguished road
Solar Panel Mounts

Attached are a few pictures of the arrangement on Crazy Fish.
The mounts allow the panels to be rotated toward the sun if
desired and to be folded up into a stowed position.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37 Hull 207
Attached Thumbnails
PSC 37  Solar array solutions-dcp_0360.jpg   PSC 37  Solar array solutions-dcp_0376.jpg   PSC 37  Solar array solutions-dcp_0387.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010

The arch on NiftyNickers was a class project in a metal working shop at a Vocational High School.The project was designed by and built by the class of course I purchased all the materials.The wind gen is a Ampair Pacific 100 and is very quiet but only produces about 6-7 amps on average.There are newer more efficient wind gens available now and in a do-over I would opt for D400 from eclectic energy a very quiet 40 amp unit.
Old 09-18-2011

lagniappe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftynickers View Post
On our C37 we have an arch off the stern which holds a 130watt panel and our radome on a forward and upward offset.The offset places the radome over the cockpit high enough to avoid radiating ourselves.The arch also serves as an outboard motor hoist with a block and tackle arrangement.The arch is made from marine grade aluminium tubing and weighs approx 50lbs without the solar panel or radome.

I've always said that I wouldn't mount an arch on my Crealock 37, but yours looks great. What I really like about it is that it looks like I can install my radar dome on it and still have room for a monitor self steering vane beneath the solar panels.
Looks like just what I need. I read that you had yous made at a VoTech school but wonder if you have any drawings or dimensions of it.
Crealock 37 #340
Old 09-19-2011
Redwood Coast, CA.

fishtrip is on a distinguished road
Hi Grant,
Here is a picture of Cloud Messengers solar setup. Two bows made out of 1" stainless. The aft bow is attached to the stern rail and the forward bow is attached to the bimini frame. ( I can still fold my bimini back since the solar bow is attached to the bimini frame at a point that doesn't articulate. It's very light and unobtrusive. I don't think this will work for the 135's (space) but you could put your 85's above your bimini and still go ahead with your plan to install the 135's on the stanchions...... or you could go back to your plan to put smaller panels on the stanchions that wouldn't stick up above the lifelines.
I'll take some better pictures if you're interested in seeing the details.

Hope all is well, I heard fall hit you guys hard a few days ago.
Have you had a chance to use the sextant yet?

David Schachter
Cloud Messenger
PSC 37 #293
San Francisco, CA
currently in Oriental, NC
Attached Thumbnails
PSC 37  Solar array solutions-010.jpg