Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Espar heating system

Not sure why I'm thinking about this subject now while we are sweltering in the July heat but, thinking of cooler weather and my next project to install a Espar Airtronic 4 diesel heating system on our 34. Anyone out there installed a similar system? Looking for mounting locations and duct routing for a 34. We are also looking at the the Webasto system as well but all my research keeps bringing me back to the Espar unit.
Any pros/cons that anyone can share?
We currently have electric heat/air now with our Mermaid reverse cycle unit but want an independent 12 volt system to use while underway or at anchor during the cooler months.

Thanks,

John S
PSC 34 # 201
Norstar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2010
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Espar DL4

John,

You're right to think about it in July. By the time you buy it and get it installed, it will be cold. We're in a similar situation as you on our 37 and are going to install a DL4. We wanted a pot burner style furnace, but they just won't fit in Pac Sea's without wreaking havoc on the arrangements. Here's what I've heard about the units and the install.

- They like lots of voltage. I yard tech told me that as the Espar's were originally designed for buses that always have an alternator running, they really perform well at 14.2 volts, but when you get into the 12's, not as well. So, try to go the closest battery with the shortest run, and oversize the power cable to reduce the voltage drop.

- I think the engine space between engine and steering is the best all round location for the heater unit, that's where we're going to mount ours.

- Not sure where you're at, but Ocean Options in Annapolis is the regional dealer for Espar. Ed Hamilton there is very helpful and if you buy from them will come out and do a shipcheck and provide mounting and routing recommendations.

- Another boat in the marina got their DL5 from a tractor-trailer supplier. He has problems with his coking up (soot) after running for prolonged periods at a low setting. That may be due to it being a truck unit, I don't know.

That's all I can share at the moment, but if I get into it before you, I'll share the many inevitable lessons learned.

Ryan
Old 08-14-2010
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Ryan,

Thanks for the info. I will be contacting Ed at Ocean Options for advice and may even stop in and see them in October if we make it up to the Annapolis show. Let me know how your install progresses.

John Schwab
PSC 34 # 201
Norstar
Old 08-14-2010

Ocean Options Contact

John,

One correction. Ed Hamilton is at the RI office. There is a Jeff Hamilton down in Annapolis. I talked to Ed. But if you're closer to MD than RI, they'll probably send you to the Annapolis shop.

Lowe's sells that shiny aluminum ducting for clothes dryers, 8 ft for about $10, in both 4" and 3" diameters, so I'm going to buy some this weekend and try to mock up the routing. I talked to Ed earlier this week and he said that the routing on PacSea's is very tight. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 08-16-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVArgo View Post
- Not sure where you're at, but Ocean Options in Annapolis is the regional dealer for Espar.
Based on personal experience trying to get service on MarineAir A/C, filters and parts for a Mastervolt generator, and a new Espar system I would avoid Ocean Options in Annapolis.

For Espar (and Webasto) in the Annapolis area I highly recommend Annapolis Cruisair. No relationship other than as a very satisfied customer.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2010
Wing n' Wing

Lansdowne is on a distinguished road
We have an Espar unit in our crealock34, mounted in the port cockpit locker. direct wired to the house batteries with a fuse 12" from the batteries. very large wire size. duct is routed thru the locker up high and outboard, then thru the bulkhead into the galley locker. (taking up a lot of space) It has two y's in it, one is just above the stove, one leg goes straight down an has a vent behind the stove. (always open) The other leg continues thru the galley locker until just below the silverware drawer, one leg going into the area below the garbage can, and with another y, the straight leg (which becomes a 3" duct frome here on) goes behind the port sette, mounted up high, and runs thru the bulkhead into the head locker. Yet another y, one leg goes to a vent, (always open) mounted just fwd of the head in the side of the sink cabinet. The other leg goes thru the bulkhead and goes to a vent under the berth. Back to that y under the garbage can, the leg we have not followed yet stay's 4", and goes thru the bulkhead to under the port side settee. It attaches to two vents under here splitting at a y.
I did not install this. When we picked up the boat we were not happy with the routing. Ten year's later, we have thought up any better route. I do remember seeing a install running along the starboard side, which I did not like any better.
On the west coast the pro's for Espar are out of Seattle, and they have a few words to the wise.
Don't run Espar's on low, they coke up. Run on high until you are warm, shut down, repeat. We do both. It coke's up. Have the pro's show you how to clean the pot's, add it to your list.
The comment about running on fully charged batteries is right on, become's erratic if you try to cheat.
Spare fuses, blow a fuse you are going to be cold.
Keep the wiring plug clean and corrosion free, weekly check.
During the install, make sure that two of the vents are the type that can not be closed, no backpressure.
These things take a lot of air, think about the source, propane fumes, restricted, etc.
When mounting the exhaust, avoid it pointing right a a dock level, these things are hot! They also put out a low growl thru the exhaust, out the stern will be best. Watch that rubber dink!
Our's was installed as our boat went into charter. Ten years in charter, three more since, a lot of hours. We are in the northwest and I sail thru the winter's, would not do it without.
I could provide picture's in a couple of week's if you need.
Old 12-21-2010

I wanted to solicit some info on the exhaust. Can anyone advise EXACTLY where their Espar exhaust through hull is? The folks at Seacraft ( a dealer/installer) sternly advised me not to run the exhaust into the propane locker, which makes perfect safety sense to me, even though the engine exhaust is in that space.

However, if it goes through in the port cockpit locker, I'm worried a quartering sea may tend to poop it. Any info, thoughts, and experiences would be appreciated.
Ryan