Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010

Loos1 is on a distinguished road
Sailing Fool- great advice. PHRF ratings are something I have yet to investigate. I have looked at the S&S 34 though. Very nice boats to be sure. They are not easy to find it seems.

cnolan- I have certainly not ruled this thinking out. The ability to singlehand is something that is important to me, and a go anytime boat is always best.

Andrew- Outstanding and poignant realism. Just what I would expect from a NZealander, masters of the sea! If you get that 34 in CA, give me a call, I'll come along for your return trip! We have seriously considered just what you have suggested, even considered relocating to NZ. Navigating the tax implications is a mess though, and for now at least has deterred us. Score one for the tiller! In truly crummy weather/seas, wouldn't a wheel be preferred though? I have no way to know, but it just seems easier to be standing on the centerline braced in and hanging on in such a situation if things got squirrely.

Great community here! thanks to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2010

rlaird is on a distinguished road
Note that if you really want to sail, a little wood goes a long way. I fell for a Baba 30 before buying my PSC31. Once I considered the time commitment to care for the wood I backed off. I'm a new owner and very pleased. This design provides creature comforts in a package that I like better than my Bayfield & Cape Dory, which had the bulkhead separated V-berth. If you can spring for the '34 that's a different deal! Rob
Old 08-11-2010

MitchM is on a distinguished road
well i was in love with the PSC 31 and pilothouse 34s before i saw the nauticats. the nauticat 33 or 321 packs a huge amount of storage space into a 33 ft boat. pilothouse design with dual steer stations. 2 cabins with nice size berths. large cockpit locker that holds a genset, diesel heater, and liferaft in addition to the other typical flotsam of buckets, cushions, etc. absolute top of the line quality in all the construction and fittings . Ocean A rated by lloyds. other boats on my old short list included the cabo ricos and vancouver 34 pilothouse. but when i saw the nauticat i fell in love...since they are made in finland they are much more common in europe than the USA..there is an active nauticat board on yahoo.

S/v Eagleswing
port of erie PA
Old 08-11-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
Andrew

Quote:
If you really want to take the circimnavigation plunge, why not buy a boat in NZ or Australia. They are cheaper and there are plenty of high quality yards and supplies to get you away.
I know things are 25% cheaper over your side of the ditch but my research would show that comparative boats are a whole lot cheaper in the US. The Aus/NZ market opens up a lot of capable boats that are not found elsewhere.

Ken
Old 08-12-2010

Since the PHRF ratings were mentioned previously, I've been doing a little research in this regard.

Does anyone have a favorite link to a comprehensive PHRF rating page for say East and West coast of the US?

What might represent an average speed rating be for a 31' moderate displacement cruiser?
Old 08-12-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Here is one pretty comprehensive list:

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...+Handicaps.pdf

However it has these two entries, which makes me doubt the validity of the data:

Boat Lowest Highest Average
PACIFIC SEACRAFT 34 192 192 192
CREALOCK 34 196 210 201
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-12-2010

Hmm...that does seem a little suspect..

Hey, here's a cool calculator I found, not PHRF, but some other nifty stuff.
Gives definitions as well for a little perspective.

SA / D Ratio
Old 08-12-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
well i was in love with the PSC 31 and pilothouse 34s before i saw the nauticats. the nauticat 33 or 321 packs a huge amount of storage space into a 33 ft boat. pilothouse design with dual steer stations. 2 cabins with nice size berths. large cockpit locker that holds a genset, diesel heater, and liferaft in addition to the other typical flotsam of buckets, cushions, etc. absolute top of the line quality in all the construction and fittings . Ocean A rated by lloyds. other boats on my old short list included the cabo ricos and vancouver 34 pilothouse. but when i saw the nauticat i fell in love...since they are made in finland they are much more common in europe than the USA..there is an active nauticat board on yahoo.S/v Eagleswing
port of erie PA
Just a little correction..... the 33's or my 331 (they made the switch/upgrades in '99) are only B Rated because of the sliding pilothouse doors. Built like a tank and many are sailing the world but the doors left them out of the 'A Open Ocean' rating.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 08-12-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loos1 View Post
Since the PHRF ratings were mentioned previously, I've been doing a little research in this regard.

Does anyone have a favorite link to a comprehensive PHRF rating page for say East and West coast of the US?

What might represent an average speed rating be for a 31' moderate displacement cruiser?
Unless you are looking to get into racing, I would not focus too much attention on PHRF ratings. They do reflect speed potential under certain conditions, but if your focus will primarily be cruising and passagemaking, they are of limited use since they do not correlate well to passage speeds for cruising boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-13-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
John raises a very valid point. PHRF ratings generally are based on a fully crewed, well prepared boat racing in the average conditions for the region in which that rating is valid. In most cases these ratings are a pretty fair indicator of relative speed in moderate conditions. In a general sense, when cruising with small crews, and in other than average conditions, the relative passage speeds will vary pretty widely from what might be anticipated with the relative passage speeds of dedicated cruising boats way slower than might be predicted by their PHRF ratings.

In other words, dedicated long distance style cruising boats generally would not have as fast a passage time as their PHRF ratings would predict relative to the passage time of a race boat or a high performance cruising boat sailed with a small crew.

There are a lot of reasons for this. Few cruising boats have the sail inventory and sail handling gear to take full advantage of the winds that they are sailing in. Few have the kind of preparation that a performance boat would have in terms of bottom finish and weight distribution.

The speed advantage of a higher performance boat, especially at the light and heavy ends of the wind and seastate range, allows it to cherry pick its routing to optimize its conditions. In other words, a higher performance boat can offen make good speeds in winds that a heavier more traditional boat can't sail in. This allows them to sail out of a light air wind system and get moving sooner. The heavier cruiser either needs to motor of sit. If motoring is anticipated, this means that the cruiser must carry more fuel, and therefore slows its speeds in the middle wind ranges. Those kinds of 'tactical' advantages are not anticipated in PHRF Ratings.

That said, in coastal cruising situations, where running the engine is not a big deal, the relative passage times for a traditional cruiser may beat their rating, but at the price of more engine hours.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.