Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010

Loos1 is on a distinguished road
If not Pacific Seacraft...what?

New to Sailnet...my first thread here. So a little backround..

I do not have bigger boat experience except for a 1 week charter with my brother on the Chesapeake 25 yrs ago. We slept out and nightsailed, practiced anchoring, etc., it was a great experience. Other than that, I have only sailed a Laser for two summers as a teen, and a Force 5 for 3 summers, also about 25 yrs. ago. I'd say I have lots of experience in all conditions on the dinghys, goofing around, sailing in aNYthing!

Okay, so now I want to sail around the world... :-) Well, one day maybe.. For now I'd like to learn to cruise, and acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to become a first rate captain, and gain the confidence to safely move on to the next step. But where to start?

Have been researching various boat manufacturers, and sizes, types. And keep coming back to Pacific Seacraft. I like the double enders, and while I am clearly not ready for passagemaking, since that is the ultimate goal, gaining experience with the type of boat I hope to one day possess seems partly reasonable at least. I've settled on 28-35', with my current lust for the PSC 34, hopefully something 1995 or newer. So I guess my main question is, as the title indicates, what boats would you Pacific Seacraft lovers consider seriously if you were to buy again? Another Pacific Seacraft, or what else perhaps?

About the only other manufacturers of recent vintage that interest me are:

Morris yachts- gorgeous, out of my price range though.

Malo- very fine manufacturer it seems, can they even be found in the US?

Najad- same problem

Tayana- nice boats, but seems 37' is standard, and that is too big for me for now I'd say.

34' might be too big for me for now as well.

Anyway, I'll have LOts of followup questions to any who are willing to share their experience and provide input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2010

Just want to say thanks to JohnRPollard and SecondWindNC for their replies in the other thread.

So if not NADA, then what is the best way to find a reasonable offer price, BUC perhaps?
Old 08-07-2010

adamowens is on a distinguished road
Well I am a perpetual boat dreamer and spend way too much of my time looking at boats. If I didn't have my 31 and were in the market ( and couldn't find another 31 or 34 or 37PSC...) these are some of the boats I like.

Baba 30 or 35
Tashiba 31 0r 36
Valiant 32
Passport 37
Nicholson 31
BCC 28
Shannon 28
Nor'sea 27
Cape Dory 31

If I had time for a project some of the classic plastic would catch my eye.

Alberg 35
Allied Princess
Allied Seabreeze

These boats cover a broad range in size, price, performance, etc. but they all appeal to me.

With that being said, every time I step on to my 31 or take it for a sail, I know that I found the right boat for me right now. I am extremely pleased with it. The only thing I can think of moving to in the near future is a PSC 37.

Adam
PSC 31 Journey
Old 08-07-2010

Thanks for the reply Adam. The PSC 31's look to be beautiful boats for sure, and are high on my desirability list. I should mention I've never been on one though.. But, haven't been on much else either. The only thing about them that I am not sure about is the fact that there is no bulkhead separating the v-berth section. I have been on exactly 2 sailboats other than dinghies. The first was about a 30' don't know what it was 25 yrs. ago, and the second a late 70's Islander 28. The chap with the Islander had quite a bit of "stuff" loaded in the v-berth area, Pfd's, paddles, poles, and Lord knows what else. So I've no way to know if that is normal ops for a boat that is actually being used or not. I am rather finicky, and would prefer everything to have a home. I am sure I would want a well squared away vessel. In any case, the 31's are extremely appealing, and would seem to make a great first step boat for coastal cruising.

Do you singlehand it?
Old 08-07-2010

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loos1 View Post
The only thing about them that I am not sure about is the fact that there is no bulkhead separating the v-berth section.
The chap with the Islander had quite a bit of "stuff" loaded in the v-berth area, Pfd's, paddles, poles, and Lord knows what else. So I've no way to know if that is normal ops for a boat that is actually being used or not. I am rather finicky, and would prefer everything to have a home
With smaller boats, because you can just roll off the side like you do on land, exiting and entering the v-berth takes a bit of a gymnastic move. A bulkhead would make it worst, some 31s come with a privacy curtain, something you can add if you wanted it.
With the 31, the big minus is lack of big cockpit lockers, so the large stuff will end up in the q-berth, if you don't like clutter, don't buy large items.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 08-07-2010

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loos1 View Post
Just want to say thanks to JohnRPollard and SecondWindNC for their replies in the other thread.

So if not NADA, then what is the best way to find a reasonable offer price, BUC perhaps?
You want a reasonable price, here is a 31 for $59,900. That's a steal, if I was looking I'd jump all over it.:
1990 Pacific Seacraft PC 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 08-07-2010

adamowens is on a distinguished road
Yes, the 31 is pretty easy to singlehand (even with non-sailing crew in your way.)
I have to agree with teejay on the drawbacks of the 31. Cockpit storage is very small and the quarter berth is becoming a little cluttered with big things such as spinnaker, cockpit cushions and the like.
The openness of the v-berth is one of the things that drew me to the 31. I spend 100+ nights a year on my boat and it still feels like a bigger boat than a 31.
I am still tied to land and only using the boat on weekends for daysails and maybe a week or so a year. When I get a chance to break away long term, storage is one of the things I will have to address (as with any small boat). I think it will actually force me simplify and really judge each items value on board.
Teejay has covered some miles in his 31 so he could tell us a lot more than I can.

Adam
PSC 31 Journey
Old 08-07-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We sail our 31 with a family of five aboard. Maybe it's necessity, but we are able to store our spinnaker in the large starboard cockpit locker, along with three fenders (two medium, one large) our shorepower cords, docklines, etc. I find that locker is pretty darn large for a boat this size.

We even have empty lockers belowdecks with nothing in them.

When we're aboard, our cockpit cushions are on the cockpit seats, so storing them below when we're away from the boat is not an issue. And I'd say most boats in this size range lack space in the cockpit lockers to stow cockpit cushions.

The boat is definitely getting tight as our family (kids) grow. But on the rare occasion when my wife and I get out for a sail as a couple, we invariably comment on how we could be perfectly happy on a boat this size and this well though-out. Maybe the fact that we normally sail with a large "crew" makes the boat feel that much more spacious when we are just two aboard?

And following-up on one of Adam's comments: Even to this day, after owning our 31 for seven years now, I never fail to get that "tickled" feeling when I step aboard. Tickled at how lucky we are to own such a fine boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-08-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Here is another thread, which focuses on boats in the <$75K range. The thread is a few years old, so that dollar figure has likely changed in the intervening years, but the gist is the same:

Dreaming of bluewater...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-08-2010

Thanks TeejayEvans. I looked at that 31 in Key West. Looks very nice, but kind of hard to tell from the poor photos. And it is a reasonable price. I was more referring to what would be the best source to determine a reasonable price on ANy boat. A source that keeps track of the selling prices, as that in the end is the true value. As sailboats are, on the whole it seems, depreciating assets, as a new entrant I want to try to get a feel for the level of expected depreciation from year to year. Of course one guys perfectly kept and upgraded '94 whatever boat will always be worth vastly more than an unused neglected one, there has to be some middle ground value.

While it would be great to find a fabulous deal, I am more trying to avoid making a really bad one. The world of boating is fraught with expenses, and finding the right balance of affordability to enjoyment could ultimately dictate whether one remains a boater or landlubber! Jeez, with the cost of the slip, and hauling out for winters, insurance, and TAXES... you've really got to be committed to even gain entry. That before you ever fix or upgrade a single thing. Yeah, we all know the old joke, but that's not to say we all aren't going to do everything we can to control the sIze of the hole in the wawa.

To JohnPollard- I can easily see where that "tickle" comes from. The Pacific Seacrafts are really magnificent boats. It must be a good feeling to know that if you were buying again right now, you'd buy the same boat. I'd rather spend a little too much, and at least know I got what I wanted. And 31' is a really nice number too.

I'd still love to hear other PSC lovers alternative boats (and why perhaps) for the sake of comparison.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.