Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010

ralopata is on a distinguished road
RI/Narragansett Bay Recommendations?

We're thinking about moving JUNO north next summer and taking a mooring or slip as a base of operations in the Narragansett Bay/Sakonnet River area and are wondering if anyone on the list has any recommendations.

We don't care for the crowds and wakes of Newport or Jamestown harbors, but have had pleasant stays in the past on moorings at Dutch Harbor and at Wickford Marina, however, we're wondering what else like-minded sailors might have to recommend.

Important considerations are access to laundry, groceries, pumpout boat (if on a mooring), and friendliness towards liveaboards in particular and everyone in general. We'll still be going off on extended cruising from this port, but we need a place we can park the boat while we go home and take care of the nagging necessities of land life...unfortunately we've still got a lot of mooring lines tied up to responsibilities ashore.

We'd welcome suggestions -- either on-list or contact me off-list at ralopata@verizon.net.
Thanks/Fair Winds,

Roger & Cynthia Lopata
JUNO -- PSC 40 -- #46
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Hi Roger...... well.... if you have stayed at the Wickford Marina you have already seen the best..... so I don't know what else to say I am serious by the way. Before I bailed out of the Greenwich Bay Marina when the previous owner decided more slips for power boats were more important than breakwaters (he tore down part of it) it was ok ...... but not now. The one next (south) to it that I also think Brewers bought is still ok and a lot of the sailboaters that bailed from GBM when I did went (6 years ago) there. I've never seen the other Brewers purchase in upper Greenwich Bay. The Brewers in Wickford is ok and one good thing about Brewers is since they have grown so large they share privileges for a cruising benefit.
You mentioned the Sakonnett River and although it is fairly well protected from serious ocean waves now that the old bridge mess that was a real squeeze has been removed I would think large power boat traffic/waves might be more of a problem than it used to be.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 08-16-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Wickford Marina is excellent and there are an abundance of moorings. Slips are less available but check early in the season. BYY in Wickford does have slip as well as mooring availability last I checked. Easy access and only an hour sail to the mouth of the Bay; lots of shops, stores and a limited number of restaurants.
If you belong to a YC, you might prefer EGYC. No slips on a seasonal basis but they do have moorings as does BYY in Warwick (Cowesset).