Engine Cut Off Cable - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 09-14-2010

John:

I finally got a photo of the business end of the engine shut off cable. Don't know that it will help much since most of the fittings seem to be part of the engine rather than the cable.

Al

S/V Ann West
PSC 31 No. 55
Attached Thumbnails
engine stop cable.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 09-15-2010 Thread Starter

shut off cable

Al,

Thanks, I appreciate the photo. That looks very different than any cable I have seen so far with that little loop to tie off the end but the fittings line up right so - cool solution.

I bought a cable on the web that looks very different from what I have. It is longer and much fatter with a very different end piece. I will try to make it work but it will take some jerry rigging with the fittings.

I have not yet found a Yanmar cable the same length as the Morse cable I had but that should not be much of a problem.

John
post #13 of 14 Old 09-16-2010

Dear Al,

Knowing almost nothing about this, let me weigh in anyway. The cable is NOT a Morse (Teflex) cable at all but rather a regular "CONTROL CABLE 15' UTILITY & SHUT OFF" (e.g. Hamilton Marine). The central wire that moves in and out was bent back simply to keep the end (which I can attest is quite sharp) from puncturing you ever time you work on the engine.

If it were me I'd remove the cable, fill a baggie with your favorite rust-busting gunk, tape it *tightly* to the end of the cable jacket, and suspend the works for a week to see if the fluid will flow and lubricate the cable. I've saved a couple of cables this way -- and a couple not!

All the best, Jay

PSC 37, Kenlanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlLorman View Post
John:

I finally got a photo of the business end of the engine shut off cable. Don't know that it will help much since most of the fittings seem to be part of the engine rather than the cable.

Al

S/V Ann West
PSC 31 No. 55
post #14 of 14 Old 09-16-2010

Jay:

My cable (in the photo) works fine. I was just trying to help out John, who wondered what the business end looked like.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.