Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010

AlLorman is on a distinguished road
Newbie question

I've just purchased the 1990 PSC 31 that was for sale in Key West. She's a bit rough cosmetically but quite sound structurally and mechanically. She's on her way to the Chesapeake in the care of a professional delivery captain.

I'm sure that I'll have all sorts of questions as time goes by, but I have one right now about the Vetus dorades and cowl vents that were standard equipment. These are missing from my new boat. The currently available replacement dorades are plastic, rather than aluminum. I found a set of the older aluminum dorades as well as the cowl vents at Bacon's in Annapolis. Can anyone tell me how the dorades were finished when new? The ones I've bought appear to have been dipped in a white plastic coating. Is this original?

Many thanks.

Al Lorman
PSC 31 No. 55
S/V Ann West
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2010

lsbrodsky is on a distinguished road
My originals in 94 were white plastic. I replaced them once and 2 part epoxy painted them the second time.
Larry
Old 08-29-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Welcome good choice ps are great boats.marc
Old 08-29-2010
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
I also had the aluminum ones, they got pretty corroded, so I had them blasted, primed them with zinc aluminum primer then topcoated with the PacSea topside color paint (I think it's Eggshell, can check if you need to know).

That said, if you haven't got the new ones on yet, I would strongly recommend jettisoning the Vetus dorade boxes, they really don't perform that well and anything over a light rain ships water in the boat, not to mention actually taking waves. I'd recommend a properly engineered traditional dorade box and pipe system. Also, if you do put the Vetus boxes on, ensure that a) you don't put a steel vent lock ring on and b) that if you use aluminum or plastic rings slather a liberal amount of Anti-Seize (from NAPA Auto Parts) on the threads, they tend to lock up very easily.

Oh yeah, the plastic lock rings have a bad habit of snapping when the vent is subjected to a load, bumping into it, stays'l sheet fouling it, etc.

Ryan
Old 08-29-2010

AlLorman is on a distinguished road
Many thanks, Ryan. It does sound like there's no simple solution. Do your Vetus vents have the clamshell vents inside? It was my understanding that a Vetus clamshell is installed inside the dorade to keep the water out. Do you have an assembly like that?

I considered going the te4ak dorade box and stainless vent route, but that would both be more expensive and take more time to install. I will probably put in the Vetus ones I have now and upgrade them at some time in the future when my not inconsiderable "to do" list is shorter.

Al
Old 08-29-2010
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlLorman View Post
Many thanks, Ryan. It does sound like there's no simple solution. Do your Vetus vents have the clamshell vents inside? It was my understanding that a Vetus clamshell is installed inside the dorade to keep the water out. Do you have an assembly like that?

Al
I do have the clamshell vents, they are semi-effective when fully closed, not when open, but the purpose of the dorade system is to maintain ventilation when it's wet. So during a steamy downpour in Miami, we can't keep air flowing through the boat and it gets quite sticky and stuffy. I agree that the teak boxes definitely involve more time, money, space, blood, sweat, tears, and beers. Let me know when you figure out a way to make the to do list get shorter, I can't seem to do it.
Old 08-30-2010

wiley586 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVArgo View Post
I do have the clamshell vents, they are semi-effective when fully closed, not when open, but the purpose of the dorade system is to maintain ventilation when it's wet. So during a steamy downpour in Miami, we can't keep air flowing through the boat and it gets quite sticky and stuffy. I agree that the teak boxes definitely involve more time, money, space, blood, sweat, tears, and beers. Let me know when you figure out a way to make the to do list get shorter, I can't seem to do it.

I don't doubt your experience, but my experience on my 1988 31 differs. I have the plastic Vetus with the clamshells. I don't like them much, but not because of leaks of any sort. I have never noticed any leak whatsoever under any conditions of wind, rain, or spray. Solid water would probably be another thing, but I'd expect that.

On the other hand, the ventilation provided is negligible in normal conditions and the teak dorades are much better looking to my eye.
Old 08-30-2010

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
I just turfed my dorades in favor of nicro day night solar fans... I am never looking back. They sit an inch off my deck, snag no lines and run 24 hours a day with or without a breese.
Old 04-04-2011

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
Sorry for posting on an old thread...

We have a psc34 with old vetus aluminiun dorades with inner mushroom vents. We would like to install the nicro vents. Could you tell me which nicro you purchased and if you needed to retro fit it, the cut out of our dorades seems to be about 5 inches.
Thanks,
Erika

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2011

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
Hey,

Welcome Alorman!

We have a PSC 34 with the original Vetus mushroom vents and the plastic/flexible dorade cowls. As far as I'm aware, these are original to PSC boats built in the '80's through the mid '90's. (Ours is an '84.) I seem to recall that Vetus had a 'maintenance kit' available that included some sort of cleaning solution and spray paint for re-coating the cowls.

Ours work well enough, but look horrible. FWIW, our future plans include replacing them with proper dorade boxes and bronze dorade vents, with bars to prevent line snags. That's a bit down the road though; we've bigger fish to fry, as the saying goes...
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.