Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010

adamowens is on a distinguished road
I've actually been pondering a liferaft also and measured the port cockpit locker on my 31 and if memory serves it is closer to nine inches deep to the bottom of the lid. The problem is the cutaway on the inside aft corner eats up some length and width. I think the Winslow Ultra light 4 man would fit but it's designed for racers looking to save weight and the construction specs and inventory show that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2010

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
I've seen other boats (including a 31) store one on the stern rail. My plan is to go down with the boat. Most likely she'll out live me.
PSC 31 #84
Talisman
Old 09-18-2010

bjung is on a distinguished road
I purchased a Givens Buoy 6 person raft in valise, to be stored in the aft cockpit locker. According to the dimensions given by the manufacturer it was supposed to fit..., but it was a couple inches larger in every dimension, and so it ended up behind the companion way ladder in the aft berth. Actually works well there and would be easy to get out and deploy.
I think for coastal cruising I would check into JRP's suggestion of the winslow in the port locker, sounds like it would work perfectly. Except that the port locker also makes a perfect toolbox(until you get pooped).
Bernd
PSC 31 #83
Old 09-19-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
I am now totally confused in this conversation. I do not know much about life-rafts, so maybe I just need a better education.

I had never considered the starboard (on the 34) locker for a liferaft, but it really does sound ideal if I can get a raft in there. It seems like the solution for a problem I thought would not have a good solution.

My first point of confusion is which raft you all are referring to when you say Winslow Superlight. Winslow seems to use this name for every raft they make (WINSLOW® Liferaft Company - Marine-Sail Home.

It seems like these are very respected rafts. Winslow claims "WINSLOW® Life Rafts are the only life rafts to be heralded with top honors and the number one rating in every category – offshore, coastal and inshore – by Practical Sailor."

Several people here have implied that these are not really suitable for offshore.

What am I missing? Are you all referring to just a subset of the Winslow rafts when you say Winslow Superlight? Do only some of them fit in the cockpit locker? Is Winslow stretching the truth when they claim top offshore honors in Practical Sailor?

For example this raft: WINSLOW® Liferaft Company - Life Raft Features seems like a great raft for a cruiser, and their claimed size is: 8 x 17 x 36. I have not measured yet, but it seems like it would fit in that locker if that is the true size.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-19-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have a winslow 4 man and keep it in a valise below handy to the companionway. It is only 45 pounds so it isnt hard to get up to the cockpit. I didnt put it on deck because on a 33 there just wasnt any practical place to put it that was closer to the cockpit than where it is.

One thing that might be important to some people. When I bought the raft (at the Annapolis boat show last year) the Winslow guy said that they could pack it in different shapes if you need it to fit a specific spot. That is, they may cite e.g. 8x17x36 but they can make it narrower or wider or longer or shorter if you need that (within certain limits - but there is definitely some wiggle room)

Also, FWIW, on the SSCA equipment survey of 400+ longtime cruisers Winslow was the most cited liferaft by a good margin.
Old 10-13-2010

FirstSightPS31 is on a distinguished road
Winslow

I talked to Charles Daneko at the Annapolis boat show this week. He was manning the Winslow booth. He was VERY anxious to help with this type of problem and he emphasized (as others have stated) that Winslow would package the raft as you might need for your personal location on the boat.

800 838 3012 the company phone
First Sight PS31 #128
Old 02-23-2011

mcgray is on a distinguished road
Have carried a Winslow in a soft valise in front of the Dodger and yes it does interfere with visibility when maneuvering in close quarters. Plan to build an area on the bridge deck to store and also to have this area as a seat to get out of the wind under the dodger. No way it could be lifted in a hurry out of the aft berth. It has to be on deck when off shore.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.