Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Liferaft on a 31

I am preparing my 31 for offshore sailing and trying to decide between an on-deck canister vs a valise down below for a 4-man liferaft. Anyone have some experience/thoughts/suggestions on this question? Thanks!

Paul
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2010

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
I would have a read of the accident investigation into the yacht Pricewaterhouse Cooper (previously Shockwave) an 80ft maxi that crashed into Flinders Islet, off the caost of Sydney, Australia last year. Two people died.

The yacht had two soft pack liferafts stored below. After running aground the crew were unable to access the liferafts as it was pitch black below and they were buried under a mountain of debris. The relevant section from the report are:
Stowage of Liferafts
247. PwC’s crew considered deploying a liferaft but was unable to get access to or launch a raft. The boat carried soft pack liferafts which were stowed below decks next to the mast. After the grounding the mess below decks was described as a ‘death trap’ – it was flooded, the motion was violent, there were heavy bags of sails, the liferafts and other gear which could pin you down and trap you. It was also pitch black.
248. A single crew member could not lift a liferaft. Two or more crew would have found it extremely difficult to work together in the conditions to lift a raft onto the deck. Fortunately the liferafts were not required.
249. The YA Special Regulation 4.19.2 (c) does allow boats with an age of series date before 06/2001 to use liferafts packed in a valise “not exceeding 40 Kg securely stowed below deck adjacent to the companionway”. In addition Special Regulation 4.19.3(a) requires “each liferaft shall be capable of being got to the lifelines or launched within 15 seconds”. PwC met the age date criteria but the liferafts were not adjacent to the companionway and could not be launched in 15 seconds.
250. The crew strongly recommended that all liferafts should be stowed on deck. The Inquiry notes the current requirements for newer boats and suggests boats with an age date before 06/2001 be reminded of the applicable Special Regulations.
My suggestion would be to have liferafts on deck utilising a release that activates if the yacht sinks. There have been plenty of cases where yachts sink in minutes and there is no time to run around below trying to get a heavy liferaft on deck.

Fyi the Yacht Club of Australia safety report link is here

Ilenart

Last edited by Ilenart; 09-06-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2010

jubliado61 is on a distinguished road
On our 31 we chose the valise type. It is a Revere 4-person. It weighs around 80 lbs. We stow it in the quarter berth. It has strong heavy duty straps for lifting, but still a challenge to get up the companionway. We expect that in an emergency the adreneline would kick in making it easier.

We couldn't find an acceptable place to stow a canister on deck because all would have obstructed the view forward.

I would rather have on deck for the reasons noted in paragraph one. Maybe we are overlooking some place to stow on deck, but can't think of a good place.

We cruise in Florida and Bahamas and are offshore often enough to require an offshore raft.

Ed

PSC 31 " Patty Ann"

Daytona Beach, FL.
Old 09-06-2010

lsbrodsky is on a distinguished road
I had a soft pack but it was in the way on deck and too heavy to bring up from below so I just sold it. Figured my dinghy and EPIRB would have to do.
Larry
Old 09-07-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi3 View Post
I am preparing my 31 for offshore sailing and trying to decide between an on-deck canister vs a valise down below for a 4-man liferaft. Anyone have some experience/thoughts/suggestions on this question? Thanks!
Paul--

Given the relatively smaller size of your yacht, a deck cannister may be problematic. However, a heavy valise pack stored below-deck could also be a problem, particularly if you are injured and it is your wife or sailing partner who has to retrieve and launch the raft. We had a 4-man Avon in a valise pack but it was clearly evident that my wife would have had major difficulty with the 80# raft under any but the most favorable circumstances--which are unlikely in the event of an emergency. So we sold the Avon and will be replacing it with a Winslow Superlight vaccume packed in a valise (45#) that can be kept handy in a lazzaret locker. Some might argue that the raft is not sufficient for the deep but, given our cruising areas, where help (via GPIRB) is usually within 24 hours or less, it would seem that the Winslow is a good combination of utility and reliablilty. See http://www.winslowliferaft.com/downl...ftspecs/17.pdf . The Winslow is admittedly not inexpensive, but, as they say in their advertisements--"Isn't your (your wife's) life worth a Winslow?"

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 09-17-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We had a similar discussion not too long ago, when bjung asked about a liferaft for his 31:

PSC 31 Liferaft Options

I am partial to the Winslow Superlight soft valise (mentioned by svHyLyte), stored in the port cockpit locker. Folks unfamiliar with the PSC might question this location, but it is a shallow locker (about 6" deep) approximately 2'x2.5'. So it wouldn't be lost down in the depths of the locker -- it would be the only thing in it, right at the top, very handy.

Brainstorming, another idea I've had would be to build a box that would fill the cockpit well forward of the binnacle, that would hold the liferaft. It would essentially become an extension of the bridgedeck, and could be removed in port/harbor.

Or, a soft valise in a low profile box that would lay on top of the bridgedeck. It would have tracks that drop into the channels for the companionway wash boards, and barrel bolt hardware on the trailing end where it would latch into the coachroof. It would end up serving as one more shallow step for exiting the companionway.

Let us know what you decide -- it's a tricky question and every solution represents a compromise to a certain extent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-07-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 09-10-2010

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone for your replies. That gives me plenty of food for thought. So from what I am hearing, no 31 owners have canister liferafts attached to their foredecks because of the space issues.

About 3 years ago I rented a soft pack 4-man for a 2 week trip and kept it in the aft quarter berth. It was pretty heavy, don't know if it was 80 lb, but I remember noting to myself that is was a very awkward package, and in the way below. I remember wondering to myself how it would be to actually have to deploy such a thing in an emergency.

It is very clear that a deck mount canister such as Ilenart describes is the safest option if space allows, and I will critically examine the real estate on my foredeck again when I am at the boat in a couple weeks.

I am surprised to hear of a 4-man liferaft that will fit in the 31's 6" high port cockpit locker! I will research that. I keep a lot of useful junk in that locker right now but could probably organize it in another locker.

It's amazing in this day and age how few yachts come with liferaft storage incorporated into their designs. Building a dedicated liferaft locker into the cockpit is an interesting thought but, hey, I guess it all boils down to how much to weigh that unlikely necessity for a liferaft against the day to day livability of one's boat.

In the end, I don't think any of us is drawn to the sea because it is 100% safe.

I'll let you know what I end up doing.
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 09-16-2010

FirstSightPS31 is on a distinguished road
Life raft

Interesting posts.

I have been trying to figure out how the winslow, which is listed as 9 inches height, would fit in the port lazarette, if the lazarette is only 6 inches height.

Also, would a small canniser not fit on the foredeck between the dorade boxes?
First Sight PS31 #128
Old 09-16-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Good question on the dimensions, there. I seem to recall looking into this previously, and some other folks too, and coming up with soft valise dimensions that would work for the port cockpit locker. There's always the possibility that the raft dimensions have changed over the years.

Another thing, though, is that the published dimensions are for standard packaging. Winslow will do a custom packing for you (at least, they used to offer it) to accommodate the dimensions of the storage locker. Maybe that was how it worked?

I don't see why a low profile canister wouldn't fit on the coachroof, either over the seahood or forward of the mast. Although, some folks worried about visibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-16-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Ours is in a hard case. immediately f'ward of the dodger. I'd probably prefer to store it off the boat but we are on a mooring and moving it is a pain.

Needs to come off for a service so will then leave it ashore until we head offshore in the new year.

To some extent , yes it does interfere with vision f'ward but that is something we have learnt to live with. As the old Eskimo saying goes...you can't have your kayak and heat it.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.