Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010

granche1 is on a distinguished road
water tanks leaching plastic taste

The water that comes out of the tanks in my 1986 crealock 37 tastes like a toxic plastic elixir. After a couple months of this, my mate and I found that we were simply drinking more mexican beer to compensate for our aversion to the plastic tank water. This does not really help in our desire to stay hydrated. I have not owned the boat for long and it is presently in mexico while I live in northern california so I dont have easy access to examine the tanks. Can someone outline for me what I will find when I am able to open up the plywood covers under either the V-berth or the quarter berth? I am actually wondering if there could be osmotic blisters inside of the water tanks! It tastes that bad. Has anyone retrofitted stainless tanks into that space. Wondering about putting some sort of water bladder in there. A filter on the output is not really an option unless it could actually remove the plastic molecules because we are not really into ingesting plastic for long periods of time. I apreciate any input.

Grant
s/v Viandante
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
What is the material composition of your water tanks???? Can give you a definitive answer if you reply with the above info. ;-)
Old 09-17-2010

My understanding is that the tanks are part of the hull liner. I know that my hull is fiberglass. I do not know what the hull liner is or what material it is comprised of, and I have not looked inside the tanks because removal and reinstall of the tank lids is a job that I have not made time for. I am hopping that someone with a similar year crealock 37 has explored their water tanks and can give me a heads up on what to expect in there. The boat is 2000 miles away and when I head down there for the winter, I want to bring with me whatever I need to correct the water tank situation. Many thanks.

Grant
s/v Viandante
Old 09-17-2010
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
PSC water tanks are built into the liner and are gelcoated. That may be leeching, could be old plumbing too??? i have an Orion, not a 37 but the water tanks are similar.

When you get in there you'll find some plastic thru hulls penetrating the tank (one vent, one bigger fill, and a supply to the water system). Not much else in there.

the water tank under the quartberth may have a support that is molded into the tank somewhere in the middle so when you lay on the quarter berth it doesn't stress the tank lid (mine does).

I installed watertight clear screw down deck plates in my tank lids for easy inspection and cleaning. Might want to concider it when you get into your tanks.
Old 09-17-2010

So the material that the fresh water is in contact with is gellcoat? Does that mean that I could have osmotic blisters bursting their yummy cocktail into my water supply? Not a good scenario. Any ideas on how to isolate the fresh water from the current interior of the water tanks? No amount of Tang can cover up the taste of hydrolyzed fiberglass resin!
Old 09-17-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Is really necessary to drink water from your tanks? Sure it costs a few $ more to buy bottled water but it's sure going to taste better. I never liked "tank" water myself.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Is really necessary to drink water from your tanks? Sure it costs a few $ more to buy bottled water but it's sure going to taste better. I never liked "tank" water myself.
But then you have all those damn plastic bottles which are toxic to make and never go away!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
agreed, but still the water isn't likely to be nasty like tanks get. ew.

My boat is for sale.
Old 09-17-2010

legarots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
But then you have all those damn plastic bottles which are toxic to make and never go away!
You could get unflavored carbonated water in cans. I love that stuff.

You could also get 2.5 gallon sized water containers and pour into a cup.
Old 09-17-2010
1934 Chickering

Grant.. if the tanks are glass.. maybe you can take the tops off and install water bags. they work pretty well. I have one we put under the port bunk for when we go on trips and need more water then the oem 35 gal. tees and valves are needed but not very $

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.