Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Thanks Podjo,

Thumper sent me some pictures of a conversion PSC did. Nice work. Too bad I'm not on the East Coast.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
Engine controls

Dave,
My 1982 C37 NiftyNickers is a tiller boat and had the engine controls mounted on the starboard side of the cockpit about calf high. When guests were aboard or when manuevering at dockside the controls were very difficult to access.When I repowered 4 years ago I decided to move the controls onto the starboard combing forward of the main jib winch.
Remember on a tiller boat you are seated forward of the tiller closer to the companionway so the controls need to be forward also.
Moving the controls was one of the best moves I've ever made and highly recommend ding the same.
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 09-23-2010

Dianne and Chuck,

Very interesting. Hadn't thought of that at all. The 34's quarter berth is on the starboard side and galley to port, but I could mount it on the port side forward of the winch. Or, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe still to starboard by bringing the cables in above the trim panel above the berth. Thanks for the idea. When it stops raining I'll go on deck and check it out.

Dave
Old 10-09-2010

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Dave:

Here is a C34 for sale up in Milwaukee w/tiller:

V42#186
s/v Little Wing

Last edited by arisatx; 10-09-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added link to boat listing
Old 10-11-2010

adamowens is on a distinguished road
I've given serious thought in the past couple of years to converting my 31 from wheel to tiller. Does anyone on the board have a 31 with a tiller or photos of the tiller and rudder head?

Dave:
I saw a photo on your site of the extension you welded to the rudder shaft. Did you sleeve it or just weld pipe to pipe?

Adam
PSC 31 Journey
Old 10-12-2010

Thanks Ted. Great picture. Looks like an original install. I've already moved the controls. They're nearer the bilge pump than in the picture. It was NOT an easy job. Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would put them there again. I think PSC's retrofit position (stbd aft in a separate box) would have been easier and not required as big a hole in the cockpit.

Adam: I had a piece of solid stainless machined to fit inside the rudder shaft and extension about 1.5 inches each side. The "plug" was welded into the shaft. The extension was then welded to the plug. The gap was then filled with stainless filler metal. If you have this done, be sure to stress to the welder that the rudder is fiberglass so the shaft must be cooled between the weld and the rudder during the welding (wet rags, etc.).

Dave
Old 10-12-2010

Thanks Dave,
I thought you must have done something to that effect. I haven't talked myself into the conversion quite yet but I can't wait to watch your progress.

Now to figure how to fill the hole in the cockpit sole and match 22 year old faded gelcoat.

Adam
Old 10-13-2010

Hi Adam,

I'm not going to fill the holes (there's also the holes for the pedestal guard feet). I'm going to cover them with something decorative in teak, stainless or bronze that covers all the holes. Haven't figured it out yet. Waiting for the inspiration.

Dave
Old 10-13-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Dave,

For some reason I thought you had converted over to tiller before the big trip? I guess that must be a memory aberration on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANKA View Post
...I think that the only time a wheel might be better is reversing under power or if your boat is badly balanced for some reason. Since we all try to avoid this as much as possible, the wheel is really decorative....
We have some good threads here on Sailnet that debate the pros/cons of tillers vs. wheels. I don't want to sidetrack Dave's tiller conversion thread, but in those threads you can find a lot of good reasons to opt for the wheel.

It's difficult to make sweeping generalizations that one is better than the other. What may seem like the better solution for a singlehander or couple, may be untenable for a family or crewed boat. Personal preference and other circumstances may dictate different solutions even for identical models with identical cockpit layouts.

In the case of the Crealock 31, the cockpit is proportionally larger and was specifically designed to better accommodate a wheel (i.e., "T"-shaped footwell, as opposed to rectangular like the 34 and 37). I prefer the feel of a tiller, but I wouldn't want one on our boat. I can easily see how others might make the opposite choice. It's good to have options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2010

Dave,
Any progress on the conversion? I saw a pic on your site of the Tides Marine rudder bearing. Is this necessary or more of a belt and suspenders idea?
I have been giving alot of serious thought to converting myself and was wondering what everyone thought about the impact of a conversion on resale value if any. I have no plans of selling anytime in the near future but it is a point I am considering.
Those of you that have shopped for a 31 recently, would you have considered a tiller boat?

Adam
PSC 31 Journey