Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010
s/v Cool Breez'n

lukinc is on a distinguished road
Watermaker for 37-Pacific Seacraft

I'm planning to purchasing a reverse osmosis watermaker for my 37-Pacific Seacraft (1993) and would like some advice on selecting the right water maker and on installation.

The choices seem to be limited power and water capacity.

For power there are systems that operate on 12-volt or ones that run off the engine.

Water production capacity goes fro a few gallons per hour to 20 galons or more.

I plan on using the water maker during a 6-month cruise to the Sea of Cortez from October to about March. On board there will be 3 people and possibly one dog. I assume that if we can make about 8 to 10 gallons per hour and plan to run the engine for about 2 hours per day will we should be able to stay away from port for a week or more at a time.

Does anyone have any experience with watermakers in 37-Pacific Seacraft?

If so, what kind did you decide to get?
Where did you install it?
How did it perform for you?
Would you select the same system if you had to do it again?

I sure would appreciate any advise.
Newbie to SailNet ...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2010

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
We have a Katadyn Pur Survivor 160 on our C37 NiftyNickers.It's output is approx 8 gph and it is a 12v system.The unit is installable by any reasonably mechanical person and less expensive than most RO units.Ive used the unit for two seasons in the Bahamas and have had no problems.Tech support is good by phone or email.It does use lots of amps when running as they all do but we run the engine and charge the batts and make hot water at the same time.The other factor that I think is important is the size of the unit,as the 37 is not a large vessel with a massive engine room.Ours is installed in the quarter berth and doesnt take up much space.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 10-15-2010

crazyfish is on a distinguished road
C37 Watermaker

installed a PUR 80 below the head sink. Works well, but you need to pay attention to the electrical budget.

The solar panels on the boat keep up with all the electrical needs of boat except the watermaker. Typically would run the water maker when either the solar panels were working really well (batteries back to full capacity by 10-11 AM) and would run it for the afternoon and the let the panels catch up over the next day or two. Or would run the watermaker on the day before we knew we would be motoring and/or while motoring. Would run the watermaker while
underway as long as the boat was not heeling to the port side.

The larger the unit the better as the electricity consumed per gallon of production remains about the same. Don't focus on the published specs of gallons produced per day and think more of the gallons produced per hour to see if it fits your needs. 80 gallons per day sounds like a lot, but it
is just over 3 gallons per hours which means 12-13 hours to fill one tank.

You also need to be careful where you run the any of the units as oil will kill the the RO membrane. Running it a crowded anchorage such as Zihuatenejo at Christmas time is questionable, but then you could always purchase purified water in 5 gallons bottles and have it delivered to the boat for a reasonable fee in Zihuatenejo. Along mainland Mexico you will likely use the watermaker less
frequently but up in the Sea of Cortez you will use it frequently.

Although I was envious of friends who ran an engine driven watermaker and made lots of water in
the hour or two they ran the engine everyday (required to keep their there freezer/refer going), I like to limit the engine running to times when I need to motor from one spot to another.

On a redo I would look at the PUR 160 or one the Spectre units.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207

Last edited by crazyfish; 10-15-2010 at 09:08 AM.