Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Head on a 34

It appears that my Groco Model K is beyond rebuilding. Too much scoring on the cylinder so I am looking at replacing it. I liked the Model K very much, but a new one cost an arm and leg and I am a bit disappointed that is can't be rebuilt so I'm looking at alternatives.

What model heads does everyone have on their 34's? The big advantage with sticking with the Groco K is that I know it fits well in the limited space and I wouldn't have to reroute any of the plumbing.

Suggestions?

thanks
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
I just came to search the archives for almost the exact question. I think my Model K is also not worth rebuilding again. I just looked at a Raritan PHII and a Jabsco. Both appear to me to be too deep to install on the existing step. It looks like a Lavac Popular will fit in the existing space.

The below thread has some details with pictures of installing a Lavac on a 37. In his case it did not fit on the step. Not sure if the toilet has changed, the step on a 37 is not as deep (11 inches on the 34) or if I am figuring wrong. The Lavac site is not very helpful on that account.

Lavac

Keep me posted on what you find out. I need to complete this project soon to avoid a mutiny.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-24-2010

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
34 head

Sailnet sells a conversion kit to convert your present bowl to a Raritan PHII lower unit.The PHII pump is rated as the best lower cost unit and is easily rebuildable.Check with Peggy Hall on CSSB forums for further expert advice on marine heads.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 11-24-2010

Maybe just go with a new Groco K.

NiftyNickers, I have talked to Peggy and am considering that option, although if I'm not mistaken, the model K bowl is too big for the PHII. I have located a professionally rebuilt PHII for the same price as the conversion kit that I am considering, but I'd really like to hear a first hand account of fitting one into a PS 34, before I start.

RainDog, I have been thinking about the Lavac as well, but it look like a lot of work to get that pump installed out of the way on my boat. In the interest of not redesigning everything and simplifying my life and since I just want this project over with, I will probably bite the bullet and go with a new Groco K. If it lasts 20 years like the last one, it will outlast me. At any rate, I'll think on it over some turkey.

There is something about ice and snow on the boat that just makes me want to wrap this project up and go some place warm.
Old 11-25-2010

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
Groco will 'factory' re-condition your model K. I looked at doing this a while back. I can't remember the cost, but it was definitely less than a full-on replacement. I'll see if I can find the info to post.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 11-25-2010

JoBeth, I talked to the factory last week before I had the head apart and their view was that they wouldn't be doing anything to it that I couldn't do myself. They gave me good advice, though, and told me to call back if I ran into any problems or needed parts.

I've talked a local marine sanitation shop about it and he showed me couple groco K's he had apart that were destined to the scrap heap. They looked just like mine. I also took the cylinder to a local machinist and his opinion was that it was scrap. The cylinder would require too much stock removal to clean up.

However, I have been playing with it a bit and have decided that, while it will never be as good as new, I can make it a whole lot better than it was, so I'm going to finish putting the kit in it and hope I can get a couple of more years out of it.
Old 11-26-2010
Wing n' Wing

Lansdowne is on a distinguished road
John,
we took our K out while the boat was in charter; after a overhaul. they are really rough on heads. our solution was to use nor of the standards in stock at West Marine. cost was about $129.00 on sale. unbolt it in the spring an bolt a new one in. no problems for a year. beats rebuilding, and somebody on the dock's is always looking for a free one.
Old 11-26-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
John,

What boat do you have? What brand head did you use for your charters? Did it fit in the existing spot without modification?

The problem I have is finding one that fits without significant modifications of the boat.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 11-26-2010

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnharch View Post
JoBeth, I talked to the factory last week before I had the head apart and their view was that they wouldn't be doing anything to it that I couldn't do myself. They gave me good advice, though, and told me to call back if I ran into any problems or needed parts.

I've talked a local marine sanitation shop about it and he showed me couple groco K's he had apart that were destined to the scrap heap. They looked just like mine. I also took the cylinder to a local machinist and his opinion was that it was scrap. The cylinder would require too much stock removal to clean up.

However, I have been playing with it a bit and have decided that, while it will never be as good as new, I can make it a whole lot better than it was, so I'm going to finish putting the kit in it and hope I can get a couple of more years out of it.
Wow, I've not heard of one so far gone!

I sent pics of ours to Grocco and they felt the reman would be marginal and buy a little more time. That was about 18 months ago. We opted to do a kit rebuild and so far, so good.

I should point out that our current Grocco K is the second one installed aboard our 1984 PSC. We're the second owners; the original owners ordered her built new. It's our understanding they lived aboard full-time and cruised off and on from roughly 1986 through 2000. They replaced the original K in approximately 1995.

These Grocco K toilets may be pricey, but owners seem to get their money's worth when all is said and done.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 11-26-2010

I've talked to a quite a few people about this, including Peggy The Head Mistress, and it would seem that it is the norm for a model K the age of mine. 20 years.

I have pretty well decided to stick with the Groco K, it's jsut a matter now of whether I go with a new on or try to squeeze a couple more years out of mine. Interestingly, it turns out that right now West Marine has the best price on one.