Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
PS 34 trash can lid, anyone hinge theirs?

Howdy all,
this is Erika first mate to Rain Dog. I am in the process of restoring the trash can lid (chopping block). I would like to hinge the lid for convenience and also secure it in such a fashion that prevents it from flying if in a knock down (hopefully that will never be tested ;-) ).
Thanks for any input.
Erika
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010

Podjo is on a distinguished road
After Beth restored ours, she asked me to add a brass piano hinge to the outside edge. It was much easier to handle after that. Small cabinet bumpers on the bottom would be a good idea to soften the blow when is closes accidentally.
Old 11-30-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the PSC forum on Sailnet Oceangirl. I've noticed your postings on Cruisersforum - Congratulations on snagging a PSC owner - must be a great catch!

Podjo - I'd be interested in seeing open / closed pic's of the piano-hinged cutting board if you have them and would care to share.

I tried a different solution using Footman's Loops (see pic below) on either side of the cutting board, plus an additional one above the top port-side drawer. I use adjustable webbing strap through all three and then back together to cinch down the cutting board and the two port-side drawers when it gets rough. I use a similar approach to secure the extra v-berth wedge in place along with the drawers just under it. Of course the drawers already have built-in stops, so this provides a little extra security for them. While in port I store the webbing straps for easier access to everything.

While you're at it, you may also want to think about some means of preventing stray water spilled from the sink from running down past the waste bin and into the storage compartment (if you haven't done that already Raindog). There's an older post on this topic here . . . Water on counter top getting under trash bin . I've just been using the high-tech towel-based approach suggested in one of the posts, but wouldn't mind implementing a better solution if you can think of one.
Attached Thumbnails
PS 34 trash can lid, anyone hinge theirs?-footmans-loop-533893.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input. would also love to see pictures when convenient. Our lid does not fit flush due to it being routed along the lower edge. Was your hinge difficult to fit?

Thanks for the water stopper link, I too have adapted a "towel dam" approach, would be nice to have something more efficient.

And finally, thanks for the well wishes for Brian and I. We are having such a blast getting Rain Dog ready to go, the s. pacific is calling and we should be ready in two (says me) or three (says him) years :-).

I love the PS34. I owned a PS25, so knew she was a boat that can take care of me when the poop hits the fan, but I am continually surprised by her turn of speed! We came in 2nd in our division for Harvest Moon race, a honor I give all the Brian and his fantastic sailing skills (I wanted to reef, he wanted to go faster, since it was a race - he won).

Sorry for the thread drift.
Thanks again,
Erika

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2010
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
One other solution and on my "to do" list is to attach a small piece of teak stock to the face of the trim just to the right of the 2 galley drawers with 1 screw in the center. Install the piece parallel with the trim. When the trash lid board is up, turn the installed piece 90 degrees to lock it in place to prevent slamming down. This won't secure it in a knockdown but will keep it under control otherwise.

John S
PSC 34 # 201
Norstar
Old 12-05-2010

samchristo is on a distinguished road
We installed ABI quick release hinges on our trash can lid years ago and liked the solution. We need to take the cover off for access into the locker fairly often and the detachable hinges offered a good solution. Unfortunately ABI no longer offers the model we used and the hinges are failing.

If you install detachable hinges be aware of left and right sided options as you'll need to pull the lid aft to detach.

Good luck,
Sam
s/v Grace PSC34