Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 10
In 2004 when we bought Irish Eyes we knew that water was entering the boat from the bottom of the mast and wetting the compression post. I opened the inspection plate on the bottom of the mast, placed a light inisde the mast, and poured fluid silicone caulk into the hole in the bottom of the mast where the cables enter the boat to stop the leak. That was successful. The leak was stopped. The leak had apparently started when radar was installed on the boat and the original cable seal was breached and not repaired.
A couple of years later while varnishing the cabin sole, I saw a small dry black spot at the base of the compression post. Probing first with my pocket knife and later with a screwdriver, I found a rotten void enclosing 3/4 of the base of the post. It looked like a cartoon rat hole. A baseball would fit inside. Also gone was the flooring between the compression post and the mush filled base on which the assembly rests. Bad news.
I live in East Tennessee and had a local hardwood lumber yard mill me five pieces of 3/4" white oak; four of which I built up into a replacement post and a fifth which made a new covering board for the cable way. I took the varnished new post and the boat to Oriental, NC where Sailcraft Services removed the old post, installed the new, and built up the base to the level of the cabin sole. After telephone discussions with LaFiel, Sailcraft welded a 6" tall 1" diameter aluminum pipe to the base plate of the mast to form a standpipe to keep water from again running from inside the mast, through the cable way, and into the compression post. So far, so good.
While the mast was off the boat we also replaced the standing rigging and put a new LED anchor light atop the mast.
1988 PSC 34
Last edited by wsmurdoch; 01-17-2011 at 09:14 PM.