Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011

PCSSailor is on a distinguished road
PCS Battery Location Ideas

Need ideas re battery location. They are currently aft of icebox on a strange factory molded shelf with some kind of 1/2 cylinder cut-out...another question...another time.

Have 3 batteries which is fine now, but me or a lucky new owner might need more amp hours to run the washer and dryer...not

My sights are set on aft of the mast compression post, starboard side under settee.

Pro's
1. Lowet center of gravity
2. Easier access
3. Plenty of expansion room

Con's
1. Don't fix it if it ain't broke (thanks dad)
2. Closer to the water-line...God forbid but I'll need lights to find the Scotch and ditch bag
3. Slightly longer cable run ($200)
4. Cut's/scraps/verbal assaults and associated apologies to my neighbor
5. Goodbye air conditioning (I'm somewhat embarrassed when the needle approaches 100 and I disappear below)...but without it there will be more verbal assaults and less appologies.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2011

BluesHarp is on a distinguished road
What size boat?
Old 02-25-2011

peikenberry is on a distinguished road
Battery location should be

1. close to engine and power panel. This shortens the length of wire and reduces voltage drop. (also reduces the amount of wire you need). The circuit breaker or fuse is required to be within seven inches of the source of power (the battery) or 40 inches if contained in a sheath.
2, In a ventilated space away from sources of ignition. This includes electrical equipment, stoves, heaters and people smoking.
3. Low as possible (batteries are heavy) but not in the bilge.
4. Not under or over any fuel tanks, fuel lines or fuel fittings.
5 It should not be under anything that is going to be affected by corrosive gases. Batteries not only outgas hydrogen they also outgas corrosive gas (they are full of acid). The gas can corrode things above the batteries.

see New Boatbuilders Home Page - Everything Boat Building - Electrical Page 1 for the rules on electrical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Boating Safety Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!
Old 02-26-2011

Yep size of boat would help wouldn't it....she's a 37
Ike, all great points thanks.
Old 02-27-2011
s/v Pelagic

jnewcomer is on a distinguished road
I bought the factory shelf (when the factory was in Fullerton) and glassed and bolted it in under the settee aft of the head as you have mentioned. It fits four group 31 AGM's and our Heart 1500 inverter/charger. There is also room for a group 27 starting battery under the chart table seat (depending on the year of your boat).

It's hard to see in the picture but I have three high amperage fuses outboard of the batteries for the house bank, inverter and windlass.

By the way the round cutout shape where your batteries are now was for a CNG tank. Back when the boats first came out CNG was all the rage. Our boat came with two tanks in the lazarette.

Thumper could probably give you a quote on the battery shelf.

John Newcomer
s/v Pelagic
C37 #22 1980
Attached Thumbnails
PCS Battery Location Ideas-img_1195c.jpg  
Old 03-02-2011

Perfect, thanks John. Exactly what I'm envisioning. Looks like my AC compressor will be moving next to the icebox refirgeration or off the boat. Probably the latter.

Where'd you run your cable. I was thinking of up through the aft closet, then below the bulwark/cap rail.

I figured the cut-out was for a CNG bottle but wasn't sure when (or if) the regs changed requiring even light air gasses to be in a vented locker.
Old 03-06-2011
s/v Pelagic

jnewcomer is on a distinguished road
I ran my cables in the PVC conduit under the cabin sole and up through the engine compartment to the master switches on the bulkhead under the ladder. If you use this conduit I suggest you leave an 1/8" dacron cord in it so you can pull future wires through. I have 1/8" cords dangling in numerous places where it's hard to get wires through the first time.
Old 03-06-2011

AlLorman is on a distinguished road
Speaking of batteries....

The PO of my 31 replaced the batteries not long before I bought her this summer. Like most things he did, it was a sloppy job and the batteries really aren't attached to anything that will hold them down. It also looks like he removed the factory installed battery box. Would some kind owner of a 31 be willing to post a photo of what the original battery box looked like?

Many thanks.

Al
PSC 31 No. 55, Ann West
Old 03-14-2011

crazyfish is on a distinguished road
Battery Location

On Crazy Fish, a Crealock 37 which was built in 1989 the batteries were factory installed on shelf in the same location as on Pelagic. There were 3 AGMs, one in one bank and two on the other bank.

I cut the shelf out and built a new shelf fiberglassed into the same location but lower and was able to fit 4 Trojan T105s (6 volt golf cart batteries). These are are on the house bank. On the other bank I have 1 AGM starting battery mounted next to the engine in the locker just forward of the quarter berth.

Marc Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewcomer View Post
I bought the factory shelf (when the factory was in Fullerton) and glassed and bolted it in under the settee aft of the head as you have mentioned. It fits four group 31 AGM's and our Heart 1500 inverter/charger. There is also room for a group 27 starting battery under the chart table seat (depending on the year of your boat).

It's hard to see in the picture but I have three high amperage fuses outboard of the batteries for the house bank, inverter and windlass.

By the way the round cutout shape where your batteries are now was for a CNG tank. Back when the boats first came out CNG was all the rage. Our boat came with two tanks in the lazarette.

Thumper could probably give you a quote on the battery shelf.

John Newcomer
s/v Pelagic
C37 #22 1980