Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011

bobdugan is on a distinguished road
Nice discussion about this topic on the Cape Dory Board

Stripping Bottom Paint

A number of CD owners have had luck with Soy Strip...

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2011

DGriffith is on a distinguished road
Alot of good input. I do have a breakdown of items on the bid. The yard charges 55.00 per hour labor which is 10.00 less than local yards because of their location and has a good reputation and refrences. I would be using Gulf Coast Soda Blasting. The owner is a fellow yacht club member and also has a very good reputation for quality work. His SSCA presentation at our local luncheon (he is a member) was informative. He claims soda blasting is the least damaging way to remove bottoms and the greenest way also, no damage to gelcoat. His charge 1500.00 with one days labor. If I were to try a DIYS job my yard fees would be just that for weekend only labor. Yes you can consider Galveston Bay tropcial with 96 degree water temps in summer but 55 degree temps in winter. Alot of expantion and contraction. I do like the recomendation about ablative paint but I must be honest, we don't sail our boat enough to keep it clean. My diver scrubs the bottom 4 times a year and keeps the zinks fresh. At 389.00 haul block and launch a 2 year bottom racks up the $$$. I get 4 years on a hard bottom. In the bid the material cost is more than the labor. Please keep the posts coming I still haven't made up my mind. Doug
Old 03-03-2011

Pegasus34 is on a distinguished road
We stripped the bottom paint off our PSC 34 a couple of years ago using soy strip. While we didn't have problems with fumes, it was the worst job we have ever done! If we ever need to do it again, I'll pay someone.
Old 03-04-2011

lsbrodsky is on a distinguished road
My factory barrier coat on Asylum was flaking off in sheets. Interlux said I got enough life out of the paint, but it did not seem right to me. nevertheless I was faced with a complete redo. At the time, money was tight so I chemical stripped all of the old paint off then paid a guy to sand for new barrier coat. I put on 5 coats of barrier coat, then new ablative. There was not a single blister. No experience with the blasting but I don't see why it would not be OK unless he uses minimum wage labor.
Larry
Old 03-04-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
they all use minimum wage labor.
Old 03-04-2011

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriffith View Post
...I must be honest, we don't sail our boat enough to keep it clean.
Nobody does, at least not in regions of moderate to high fouling. Ablative paints need to be cleaned just as often as any other type. The "self-cleaning" bit is pretty much BS. Certainly is in California, anyway.
Old 03-04-2011

DGriffith is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all for the input. Haul and block Monday. Soda blast and 5 barrier coats and 3 coats of PPG ABC3 self polishing anti fungal bottom paint. 5 year bottom, the same paint the US Navy and all commercial vessels in our area use. Mutch less expencive than Pettit with better reviews. With the slowdown it gulf drilling, the work boats are idle and divers attest to clean bottoms. I'll post an update when I see results. Doug Griffith PSC 37 #249 Kindred Spirit
Old 04-08-2011

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriffith View Post
Thanks to all for the input. Haul and block Monday. Soda blast and 5 barrier coats and 3 coats of PPG ABC3 self polishing anti fungal bottom paint. 5 year bottom, the same paint the US Navy and all commercial vessels in our area use. Mutch less expencive than Pettit with better reviews. With the slowdown it gulf drilling, the work boats are idle and divers attest to clean bottoms. I'll post an update when I see results. Doug Griffith PSC 37 #249 Kindred Spirit
I just ran accross this thread now. How did it go?

I think you made the right decision. I'll disagree with most other posters. I think soda blasting is the way to go. I was going to do my own bottom job. I started with the chemical strippers, which did pretty much nothing but make a big gooey mess. I decided to turn the job over to the pros, who have the experience and equipment to do it and do it well.

That in itself was a project. I called many yards throughout New England. Many promised quotes. Only one delivered. I want to the Newport (Rhode Island) boat show. Twelve yards promised me quotes "within a week." Guess how many provided quotes? If you said zero, you get the prize. This at the height of the recession. I finally gave the job to Lars Guck, of Guck Inc. in Bristol, RI. His references were great and he encouraged me to come by frequently to see each step of the work.

It started with the soda blasting. All the paint was gone, and every blister was opened up. Every blister was then sanded to remove the rough edges and filled with epoxy. Then sanding. Then the barrier coat. Then more sanding still. More barrier coat, more sanding, wash, rinse, repeat. Then a hard paint, Baltoplate. Then sanding again. More paint, more sanding, more paint and finally, you guessed it, more sanding.

Here are some pictures at various stages:

Bottom Pictures Before Bottom Job | Jim's Scampi 30 MK-IV Site - Helios

Bottom Job Progress - The Hull After Soda Blasting | Jim's Scampi 30 MK-IV Site - Helios

Bottom Job | Jim's Scampi 30 MK-IV Site - Helios

During the job, they notied that all kinds of crap had been attached to my keel along the years. Fiberglass. Wood. Eben foam board and bondo. They brought it right down to lead, had a computer design a template for proper shape, and fixed it right.

Yes, it was very expensive. The boat won;t be sold for many years now! At $55.00 per hour, if they do good work, you are doing very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2011

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Wow, the stripped the bottom, faired it and the keel, then barrier coat and bottom paint. I'm sure that cost a fortune. I did that on my 25 footer (and templated the rudder) and it took forever.

But,

The bottom is working all the time, and water is way more dense than air. I'd do it all over again if I had to. Biggest single improvement I've ever done to the boat. Good onya Jim.
Old 04-08-2011

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
The bottom is working all the time, and water is way more dense than air. I'd do it all over again if I had to. Biggest single improvement I've ever done to the boat. Good onya Jim.
Exactly. If I had to do it all again, knowing now what I didn't know then, I would not have bought this boat. I probably would not have even taken this boat for free. Not because it's a Scampi. Having an unusual boat has its advantages, mostly in that no one is going to translate the class rules from Sweedish and throw them in my face. But still, I probably would have bought a class boat, maybe a J/29.

Next time I buy a boat, I'm going to check simple things like, is the mast appropriate for the boat? How many layers of paint are on the bottom? And I'll definitely hire a different surveyer.

Hey, it's only money, right?

That said, I have only one big item left to replace (the rig) and once that's done, well, it will be one hell of a good boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.