Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacurves View Post
Looking for some how-to's regarding singlehanding a PSC37. Some specific questions:

* I have looked at a few singlehanded docking solutions for other sailboats. Seems knowing the balance point bow to stern is pretty important. Does anyone know this for a PSC37? Any suggestions on docking a PSC37 singlehanded?

SC:

The balance point seemed to us to be a few feet abaft the mid ships cleat.
You can see it below by the forward gate stanchion:

We found that the t track mounted Schaefer cleats worked great for docking. And as they're adjustable, you can fine tune that balance point.

There was a great article by Evans Starzinger, “Short-handed Docking Made Easier,” Cruising World, July 2007, that I'd recommend.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamowens View Post
I have the Tides Marine Strong track on my 31 mainsail and it is one of the best improvements I've made to the boat. I can get my sail to the mast head by hand and only use the winch for final tensioning.

Adam
PSC 31 Journey
I use McLube on my track, I have steps so it isn't a big deal to go up the mast, and then can do the same. You have to redo it about every 6 months.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 03-07-2011

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
To add to the information already posted:

Jack lines: I'm using flat webbing which is clipped to the pad eye to which the running backstays attach and then around the mooring cleats forward. One advantage of this set-up is that should I go over I won't go past the stern and can therefore (I hope) grab the emergency ladder and get back aboard.

Docking: With our fixed three-blade prop the stern walks to port a LOT in reverse. This is a godsend in single handed docking (on the face of a dock) as long as I can come in Port side to. I approach the dock at about 30 to 45 degrees, swing in, put it hard in reverse and stop the boat with it sitting quietly and parallel to the dock -- well almost every time. I then just step out, affix lines, and delight in looking like I know what I'm doing -- for once! Docking in a slip is terra incognita to me so I'd appreciate hearing how others do this.

Basically I find the boat so steady and dependable that single handing is quite easy in most conditions. The only time I've had a challenge was getting the anchor up in 25 to 30K winds. I'd love to hear how others handle this and any other single handing difficulties they have encountered.

Jay

PSC 37 Kenlanu
Old 03-07-2011

Seacurves is on a distinguished road
Wow, a lot of excellent points! First of all, Tides Marine Strong certainly looks like a better value. My question is, why would someone opt for Harken Battcar as their alternative?

Jay, thanks for the jackline connect points you are using and docking tips. My dock mate last season fastened lines in a v-shape towards the dock in his slip and then between the two boats in the slip. Kind of kept him from going any alternative direction and could bounce off the front lines before the bow hit. Finally, he used a dock line held up by a tall hook arrangement, quickly tying to the boat's balance point as he entered the slip. I thought I would try it after watching him a few more times, plus now Ted has provided me the balance point!
PSC37 #359
Old 03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
SC:
Your PSC37 is setup for single line reefing (w/enough reef line length). We found there was a lot of friction so decided to set it up to only reef the clew and relied on the dogbones on the reef tacks.
Ted, is there any other option that also reduces friction that you tried/dismissed? The separate clew and tack pennants led back to the cockpit seem reasonable. Any comment as to why not this option?
PSC37 #359
Old 03-07-2011

Quote:
Ted, is there any other option that also reduces friction that you tried/dismissed? The separate clew and tack pennants led back to the cockpit seem reasonable. Any comment as to why not this option?
SC:

Separate reef clew and tack lines do reduce friction immensely, and that's what we went with on our current boat. But, it comes at the cost of more lines in the cockpit.

On your PSC37, you'll need to create a reef tackline attachment point on the mast (perhaps and eyestrap) and then two more blocks at the mast base, make provisions for line organizers back to the cockpit and a few more spinlock rope clutches.

The other options to reduce friction would be:

1) instead of ring grommets at the reef points in the sail, attach blocks or
2) instead of regular ol Stayset for reeflines, use something more slippery like spectra - but then you'll need to do something at the clutches so they'll hold. You might try cover or even something in the core to fatten it up. The latter is what Beth and Evans do on s/v Hawk.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 03-08-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
SC:

The other options to reduce friction would be:

1) instead of ring grommets at the reef points in the sail, attach blocks or
I've done this, works pretty well, but you need to mark the halyard because if you pull the block down too far on the fwd reef grommet, it will run into the boom damaging the block (depending on your tack, you won't be able to see this. It also adds a possible point of failure.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 03-09-2011

Again, thank you very much for the excellent input. I will be singlehanding in no time!! Even got my sailing mate to agree to practicing singlehanding with me!

Quick additional question: Does anyone have a picture the above noted methods of reefing the main. I am trying to follow but for me an illustration gets across better.

Cheers.
PSC37 #359
Old 03-10-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to back a Crealock 37 into a slip?
Old 03-10-2011

Quote:
Again, thank you very much for the excellent input. I will be singlehanding in no time!! Even got my sailing mate to agree to practicing singlehanding with me!

Quick additional question: Does anyone have a picture the above noted methods of reefing the main. I am trying to follow but for me an illustration gets across better.

Cheers.
Harken Single Line (on the PSC the line runs inside the boom):

Harken Double Line:

V42#186
s/v Little Wing