Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011

Seacurves is on a distinguished road
Ted,

You are too good! Super appreciate the single reefing graphics. A lot to try out this summer.

Thank you.
PSC37 #359
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2011

yzlian is on a distinguished road
the best mechanical advantage i've found for hauling the mainsail singlehanded was this: i put some 3M non-skid strips on the curved portion of the coaming just below the right-hand-side of the house top. then i stand back a little, put my right foot on the non-skid and then pull away! when pulling, my body is tilted a little back. that way, i can exert maximum pulling power on the main halyard, and also look at how close the head-board was to the mast top.

for the furling jib: i have fitted a jam cleat on a 1-inch raised platform at a point just before the furling line goes round its own cleat. that way, i can either pull and rest and pull, or i can put the line on the winch and grind away in a blow.

in light winds (< 8 knots?), the main usually got caught on the staysail when tack/gybing. have to got forward to free it and put it onto the other side. if staysail is not your staple, store it away.
Old 03-23-2011

steneck is on a distinguished road
I primarily sail my PSC 34 single-handedly. The previous owner improved the track friction but friction on the main remained. I found the solution by slacking the reefing lines to minimize friction on the main. Then I hoist the main at least 3/4 the way by hand and finish it on the stbd jib winch before rope clutching it fast.

Two things I've learned about my genoa is to routinely back wind it when coming about (except in strong wind when that's unnecessary) before easing it through the staysail slot. Sometimes wind and waves just aren't cooperating so I pull in my roller furling just enough east the tack (a trick Nigel Calder suggested to me). In heavy wind I sometimes jibe that way too.

I agree with the comment that the autopilot does a good job with tacking but my backwind method helps get me around and gives me time to shift my staysail.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bob Steneck
PSC 34' Alaria
Christmas Cove, Maine
Old 03-24-2011

ralopata is on a distinguished road
Two additional thoughts on the mainsail issue:

1) Be sure your vang tension is eased before hoisting.
2) Leave some slack in the mainsheet -- yes, it will cause the boom to jump around and the sail to slat a bit, but relieving these two pressure points greatly eases hoisting.

I agree with previous posts about Battcars and using a dry lubricant like McLube. Using this system on JUNO, which is a 40 and thus has an even bigger, heavier main, I am able to hoist the sail from the cockpit by hand except for the last few feet when I go to a winch.

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46
Old 04-10-2011

seabum is on a distinguished road
We have a PS 37 and had a Strong track installed last summer. It works fabulously. However, when I singlehand, hauling up the main from the cockpit, under the dodger, is still challenging for me (I'm female - not an excuse, just a fact!). I can get the main up very easily jumping the halyard at the mast, but then I have the problem of getting back to the cockpit to pull it through before the main falls down. I'm thinking of installing a clam cleat at the mast into which I could temporarily jam the halyard till I can get back to the cockpit to haul in the halyard. Hauling it in would then pull the halyard out of the clam cleat once all the slack has been taken out.
I'll let you know how it works when I get it installed!
Cheers
Old 04-10-2011

Barkmecrazy, I am also female (not an excuse, just a fact! ) and last season I pretty much did not single-hand with a key reason that I could not get the main up myself (it was also my first season with my PSC 37). Let me know how your clam cleat idea works out.

I have a feeling there will be much experimenting on my part in order to really figure out single-handing. But definitely looking forward to the adventure. I feel super lucky that so many PSC sailors have shared their methods and suggestions. I can't wait to get started. My boat launches for the season this next week. YEAH!!!
PSC37 #359
Old 04-10-2011

seabum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacurves View Post
Barkmecrazy, I am also female (not an excuse, just a fact! ) and last season I pretty much did not single-hand with a key reason that I could not get the main up myself (it was also my first season with my PSC 37). Let me know how your clam cleat idea works out.

I have a feeling there will be much experimenting on my part in order to really figure out single-handing. But definitely looking forward to the adventure. I feel super lucky that so many PSC sailors have shared their methods and suggestions. I can't wait to get started. My boat launches for the season this next week. YEAH!!!
Will do... as soon as I get to that part of the to-do list! I assume you have Otto to help steer (autohelm). He's invaluable when I'm single-handing.
Cheers
(I learned to sail in Chicago! Well, actually, in Lake Michigan)
Old 04-11-2011

Yes, Otto is an important member of the crew!
Old 04-27-2011
Wing n' Wing

Lansdowne is on a distinguished road
Okay, all great advice on the main; and if you really need to cheat in bad weather; you can buy a battery powered drill, with a 90 degree chuck; and a "winch bit" from the sailing magazines. Hoist by hand from the cockpit; slip on the drill to the winch, and pull the trigger.
Stop when you are close to the full hoist position; and EASE it the last foot.
These things are powerful. Can be run under the dodger in a blow....
Old 04-27-2011
Wing n' Wing

Lansdowne is on a distinguished road
As for the double line reefing, you can use this same "drill power" approach to the reefing winches under the dodger at the cockpit, go easy.