SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Singlehanding a PSC37???

16K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  BillNorrie 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for some how-to's regarding singlehanding a PSC37. Some specific questions:

* Mainsail is pretty heavy to haul up without jumping at the mast while pulling the halyard. Anyone come up with some kind of mechanical advantage solution here?

* Same type of question with the genny... When tacking & gybing every once in a while the genny is very heavy due to incorrect timing (on my part) or heavier weather. Any options besides just pulling out of the tack or gybe slightly to lessen weight?

* When tacking or gybing, what +/- degrees would you suggest to use with the autopilot, plus anything unique to the PSC37 when tacking or gybing singlehanded?

* I have looked at a few singlehanded docking solutions for other sailboats. Seems knowing the balance point bow to stern is pretty important. Does anyone know this for a PSC37? Any suggestions on docking a PSC37 singlehanded?

* A related question, if you have used a jackline, where are you connecting it?

Any suggestions in this arena are appreciated!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You can mount a modern rail on the mast with modern sliders. A sail for a 38ft can that way be raised with your force, even without the use of winches.

Regarding the genoa, on normal conditions and good timing should not be a problem. With heavy weather you have normally the genoa already half furled, but if you have problems with medium winds (tacking) just furl the genoa a bit before tacking.

About the auto pilot, they come normally regulated to auto-tack with 45º of the apparent wind. Try that and if your boat needs more just increase 5º each time since you reach the situation you are more comfortable with.

Regards

Paulo

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Looks like the Harken Battcar is a perfect solution for the main. I have already called my local Larsen Marine folks to get a quote.

Looking forward to the flexibility this will provide! I certainly need to improve my sailing skills to singlehand my PSC37 dock to dock, but nothing like being able to actually practice all aspects.

#7 ·
Another question after giving the Battcar main solution some thought regarding reefing the main... Currently I need to go forward to hook the tack cringles on the gooseneck horn, and then tighten the main halyard. In order to not go forward when reefing, is the real option to rework the tack pennants and lead them back to the cockpit? I guess this would be the answer but just checking.

Sorry, a lot of singlehanding details to work through.

#11 ·
Looking for some how-to's regarding singlehanding a PSC37. Some specific questions:

* I have looked at a few singlehanded docking solutions for other sailboats. Seems knowing the balance point bow to stern is pretty important. Does anyone know this for a PSC37? Any suggestions on docking a PSC37 singlehanded?

SC:

The balance point seemed to us to be a few feet abaft the mid ships cleat.
You can see it below by the forward gate stanchion:

We found that the t track mounted Schaefer cleats worked great for docking. And as they're adjustable, you can fine tune that balance point.

There was a great article by Evans Starzinger, "Short-handed Docking Made Easier," Cruising World, July 2007, that I'd recommend.

#13 ·
To add to the information already posted:

Jack lines: I'm using flat webbing which is clipped to the pad eye to which the running backstays attach and then around the mooring cleats forward. One advantage of this set-up is that should I go over I won't go past the stern and can therefore (I hope) grab the emergency ladder and get back aboard.

Docking: With our fixed three-blade prop the stern walks to port a LOT in reverse. This is a godsend in single handed docking (on the face of a dock) as long as I can come in Port side to. I approach the dock at about 30 to 45 degrees, swing in, put it hard in reverse and stop the boat with it sitting quietly and parallel to the dock -- well almost every time. I then just step out, affix lines, and delight in looking like I know what I'm doing -- for once! Docking in a slip is terra incognita to me so I'd appreciate hearing how others do this.

Basically I find the boat so steady and dependable that single handing is quite easy in most conditions. The only time I've had a challenge was getting the anchor up in 25 to 30K winds. I'd love to hear how others handle this and any other single handing difficulties they have encountered.

Jay

PSC 37 Kenlanu

#34 ·
To add to the information already posted:

Docking: With our fixed three-blade prop the stern walks to port a LOT in reverse. This is a godsend in single handed docking (on the face of a dock) as long as I can come in Port side to. I approach the dock at about 30 to 45 degrees, swing in, put it hard in reverse and stop the boat with it sitting quietly and parallel to the dock -- well almost every time. I then just step out, affix lines, and delight in looking like I know what I'm doing -- for once! Docking in a slip is terra incognita to me so I'd appreciate hearing how others do this.

Jay

PSC 37 Kenlanu
Jay,
I also have a 3 blade prop and have a lot of prop walk. I go into my slip like you. My problem is backing out of the slip. The boat wants to do a 360 deg turn. I am in a double slip with no pilings between me and the boat next to me. My fear is damaging the boat next to me. When single handing the boat and getting out of the slip (with normal 15 knot trades trying to push me back into the slip) is high tension. I found the best way is to tie a line at mid ship and walk the boat out as far as I can then jump on and motor out.

I have also found placing the rudder on the starboard side counter acts the prop walk somewhat.

Do you have any ideas how to make backing easier?
Thanks

#14 ·
Wow, a lot of excellent points! First of all, Tides Marine Strong certainly looks like a better value. My question is, why would someone opt for Harken Battcar as their alternative?

Jay, thanks for the jackline connect points you are using and docking tips. My dock mate last season fastened lines in a v-shape towards the dock in his slip and then between the two boats in the slip. Kind of kept him from going any alternative direction and could bounce off the front lines before the bow hit. Finally, he used a dock line held up by a tall hook arrangement, quickly tying to the boat's balance point as he entered the slip. I thought I would try it after watching him a few more times, plus now Ted has provided me the balance point!

#18 ·
Again, thank you very much for the excellent input. I will be singlehanding in no time!! Even got my sailing mate to agree to practicing singlehanding with me!

Quick additional question: Does anyone have a picture the above noted methods of reefing the main. I am trying to follow but for me an illustration gets across better.

Cheers.

#22 ·
the best mechanical advantage i've found for hauling the mainsail singlehanded was this: i put some 3M non-skid strips on the curved portion of the coaming just below the right-hand-side of the house top. then i stand back a little, put my right foot on the non-skid and then pull away! when pulling, my body is tilted a little back. that way, i can exert maximum pulling power on the main halyard, and also look at how close the head-board was to the mast top.

for the furling jib: i have fitted a jam cleat on a 1-inch raised platform at a point just before the furling line goes round its own cleat. that way, i can either pull and rest and pull, or i can put the line on the winch and grind away in a blow.

in light winds (< 8 knots?), the main usually got caught on the staysail when tack/gybing. have to got forward to free it and put it onto the other side. if staysail is not your staple, store it away.

#23 ·
I primarily sail my PSC 34 single-handedly. The previous owner improved the track friction but friction on the main remained. I found the solution by slacking the reefing lines to minimize friction on the main. Then I hoist the main at least 3/4 the way by hand and finish it on the stbd jib winch before rope clutching it fast.

Two things I've learned about my genoa is to routinely back wind it when coming about (except in strong wind when that's unnecessary) before easing it through the staysail slot. Sometimes wind and waves just aren't cooperating so I pull in my roller furling just enough east the tack (a trick Nigel Calder suggested to me). In heavy wind I sometimes jibe that way too.

I agree with the comment that the autopilot does a good job with tacking but my backwind method helps get me around and gives me time to shift my staysail.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bob Steneck
PSC 34' Alaria
Christmas Cove, Maine

#24 ·
Two additional thoughts on the mainsail issue:

1) Be sure your vang tension is eased before hoisting.
2) Leave some slack in the mainsheet -- yes, it will cause the boom to jump around and the sail to slat a bit, but relieving these two pressure points greatly eases hoisting.

I agree with previous posts about Battcars and using a dry lubricant like McLube. Using this system on JUNO, which is a 40 and thus has an even bigger, heavier main, I am able to hoist the sail from the cockpit by hand except for the last few feet when I go to a winch.

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46

#25 ·
We have a PS 37 and had a Strong track installed last summer. It works fabulously. However, when I singlehand, hauling up the main from the cockpit, under the dodger, is still challenging for me (I'm female - not an excuse, just a fact!). I can get the main up very easily jumping the halyard at the mast, but then I have the problem of getting back to the cockpit to pull it through before the main falls down. I'm thinking of installing a clam cleat at the mast into which I could temporarily jam the halyard till I can get back to the cockpit to haul in the halyard. Hauling it in would then pull the halyard out of the clam cleat once all the slack has been taken out.
I'll let you know how it works when I get it installed!
Cheers

#26 ·
Barkmecrazy, I am also female (not an excuse, just a fact! :) ) and last season I pretty much did not single-hand with a key reason that I could not get the main up myself (it was also my first season with my PSC 37). Let me know how your clam cleat idea works out.

I have a feeling there will be much experimenting on my part in order to really figure out single-handing. But definitely looking forward to the adventure. I feel super lucky that so many PSC sailors have shared their methods and suggestions. I can't wait to get started. My boat launches for the season this next week. YEAH!!!

#27 ·
Barkmecrazy, I am also female (not an excuse, just a fact! :) ) and last season I pretty much did not single-hand with a key reason that I could not get the main up myself (it was also my first season with my PSC 37). Let me know how your clam cleat idea works out.

I have a feeling there will be much experimenting on my part in order to really figure out single-handing. But definitely looking forward to the adventure. I feel super lucky that so many PSC sailors have shared their methods and suggestions. I can't wait to get started. My boat launches for the season this next week. YEAH!!!
Will do... as soon as I get to that part of the to-do list! I assume you have Otto to help steer (autohelm). He's invaluable when I'm single-handing.
Cheers
(I learned to sail in Chicago! Well, actually, in Lake Michigan)

#29 ·
Okay, all great advice on the main; and if you really need to cheat in bad weather; you can buy a battery powered drill, with a 90 degree chuck; and a "winch bit" from the sailing magazines. Hoist by hand from the cockpit; slip on the drill to the winch, and pull the trigger.
Stop when you are close to the full hoist position; and EASE it the last foot.
These things are powerful. Can be run under the dodger in a blow....

#38 ·
One of the other singlehanded rigs I have found to be great is a line with a "U shaped 3/8" hook on the end. You can throw it across a dock as you are coming alongside, and "grapple" the other side with the hook, wrap the line around a winch in the cockpit, throw the rudder over, and it brings the boat up tight while you get a line on her.

#39 ·
A lot of great advise from my single handing a PSC 37 question! Plenty of experienced salts out there willing to share!! :) Thank you!

So far this season I have attempted raising the main, furling and unfurling the jib, plus docking -- all single handed. A few things I have learned on the way... 1) muscles are super necessary and should be ready for the task, however, can't make up for technique that provides mechanical advantage (e.g. loosened mainsheet when raising last feet of main, or a bit more head to wind when furling the jib); 2) the auto-pilot is not responding the way I thought it would for a tack or a gybe so more experimentation is needed; 3) my husband isn't thrilled with letting me learn single handing.

Still learning... And again thanks for the shared ideas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.