Join Date: Aug 2002
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
lighthouse 1501 windlass motor burned (?)
hello all, i encountered a serious problem with my 1501:
while trying out the windlass (hooked up only to the bank battery; boat engine undergoing repair and NOT running), the motor at first operated normally, but before finishing pulling 30 ft of chain or so, the motor stopped working, probably because of using up all the power in the battery bank, and became very hot. the heat also melted the perko switch, which no longer conducts current.
after this happened, the battery bank went flat but later accepted charge.
the unit's motor housing has been very much rusted. the unit is probably 18 years old. worked quite well up to now.
question: (1) what happened? (2) would the motor be burned & now destroyed beyond repair? -- i hope not... the 1501 motor is supposed to be overload-proof, etc, right? (3) what may have caused it to happen?