Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
Deck Drain / Fairlead Leak

We have been discovering water under the stove from time to time for a year or more. Up to now I've blamed it on sloppy dishwashing, but I have been wrong. The leak seems to be coming from the inner side of the deck drain that passes through the bulwark between the two posts of the aft port side gate stanchion. (I've also used the rather nice bronze lined hole as a fairlead for a spring line when I needed a lead from more aft than the midship cleat.) The leak drips on the liquor bottles in the cabinet behind the stove then runs into the pan under the stove, so has done little damage.

I am not sure I want to take it apart here in George Town, Exuma. It might be best to just wait until we get back to New Bern, NC in June where I have more tools and a car to go and get things.

I have no idea how the thing is constructed. To me it looks like two thru hulls joined by a piece of rubber hose with no hose clamps on the hose. I am guessing it can be pried apart, cleaned up, and reinserted with new caulking. While I see screws on the outside piece, I just do not see any screws or nuts on the inside piece that would hold it on.

Has anyone taken one of these apart? How is it made? Should there be hose clamps on the hose? How much work is involved in re-bedding the fitting?

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2011
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
My surveyor told me to rebed those, but I have not done so yet. Mine also has no hose clamps. I do have three screws on the inside fitting.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2011

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
Bill,
Both the midship hawspipes and the bow hawspipes are two pieces with exhaust hose between them. No clamps were used just sealant.They are easy to replace.Mine had screws holding both the inner pieces and the outer pieces.It's amazing how much water can leak in thru those pieces when the hose gets old and leaks.Temporarily you might load them up with 5200 until you get home.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 04-11-2011

johnharch is on a distinguished road
What kind of sealant did you use? And what type hose?
Old 04-11-2011

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
I used exhaust hose with wire reinforcement and 3m 5200 sealant.There are no hoseclamps so the sealant keeps everything watertight.
If memory serves the midship hawspipes are 2" hose and the bow were 4" hose.Interestingly the screws on the bow pipes were corroded away and had to be removed with vicegrips.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139