Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011

adamowens is on a distinguished road
Yacht Specialties Idler Pulley

One of the idlers in my YS Steering system failed this weekend. Sort of ruined a nice day of sailing.
Any one have a spare or a leftover from a steering upgrade that they would be willing to sell?

Adam PSC 31 Journey

Attached Thumbnails
Yacht Specialties Idler Pulley-idlerpulleysmall.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2011

wmjr is on a distinguished road
idler

Adam,

One of mine failed a few years ago. I believe I saved the bits. I will look tonight to see which parts I have.

John
PCS 31 #28
Old 04-11-2011

Thanks. I'd like to hear more about how yours failed also. Maybe its time for me to bite the bullet and think about a new edson pedestal or do what I really want and go back to a tiller.
Mine failed with a pop after a really ugly jibe in about 15-20 knots. I wasn't steering at the time so I don't know what kind of loads could have been on it but it really shouldn't have been anything to crazy. I'm sorta baffled.

Thanks
Adam
PSC 31 Journey
Old 04-11-2011

Adam,

Mine failed with mixed seas, there were very heavy following seas out of the south plus heavy seas from the west. There was someone who had very little experience at the helm while I was taking care of something else so I think he was fighting the helm.

Later, when I tried to figure out what caused the problem it looked suspiciously like the steering cables were a little too loose.

John
PCS 31 Watermark
Old 04-11-2011

AlLorman is on a distinguished road
If there are no parts missing, you could fix that with epoxy.

Al Lorman
PSC31 No. 55 Ann West
Old 04-11-2011

No Luck

Adam,

Sorry, I thought I had bought two and replaced both but I only bought and replaced the bad one. All I have is the wheel which you still have.

John
PCS 31
Old 04-11-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
What did you do after the failure, did you use the emergency tiller?
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 04-11-2011

John,
Thanks for looking. Do you remember where you bought yours? I've sent emails to several used gear/consignment stores on both coasts with no luck yet.

Tom,
Well the emergency tiller that was in my boat when I bought it is a joke. I am assuming it is factory. It is a 12-14 inch long aluminum pipe with a slot cut to go over the radial drive bolt. On top it has a wooden hadle about 12 inches long. It wouldn't go all the way in because it measures 1.5 inches o.d. and the ruuder shaft is 1.5 inches i.d. A little corrosion and its not going in. I tried it later to straighten the rudder while being towed back to my slip and there's not even close to enough leverage.
Luckily we were running down wind when it happened and got the engine started and the sails down. The boat tracked beautifully and we were only about a mile (very straight course) from my marina. Since only one idler broke the cables were still attached and we could keep the rudder from going to to one stop or the other, we just couldn't turn very well. once we got to the marina a little "tugboat" help from a friend in a Whaler got used tied up to an outside dock.
As soon as we got sails down I took the windlass handle forward and got the anchor ready to deploy but didn't need to. One thing I noticed once we got back and took the cover down to see what was wrong, was that the cables were pretty kinked from the lock to lock turns we were doing when we were trying to figure out what was going on. They're gonna need to be replaced too. So as soon as I get this fixed my priority is going to be to make an emergency tiller that really works and to order a spare chain and cable set before taking off on anything more than a daysail.

Adam
Old 04-12-2011

steering

Adam,

I believe I got the parts from Edson but I will check tonight to be sure.

I had exactly the same problem with the emergency tiller. I could not believe Pacific Seacraft made a mistake like that so I blamed it on the previous owner. Looks like the factory was to blame.

When I had the bottom painted I asked the yard to grind down the metal and now it works great. Too short of course but much linger and you start hitting the helm.

John
Watermark
PCS 31 #28
Old 04-12-2011

Adam,

I talked to the admiral. I did not get it from Edson. I got them from Minneys in Costa Mesa. MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE (949)548-4192 I will be glad to run down there if you need me to check that they have the right part. Always fun to look around there anyway. Massive place.

John
PCS 31 #28

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.