Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
Screens for PS34 1989

We ordered new screens from Schooner bay and to our disappointment they do not fit. I have schooner bay screens aboard Ocean Girl, my CD 30 and absolutely love them. Tough and pretty (kinda like my boat) . Schooner bay has been very helpful and willing to take the screens back for a full refund. But that still leaves us screenless.

Our ports aboard Rain Dog are different than the newer PS models. The ports do not have a slight recessed flange to fit the screen from the inside, the flange and retaining bolt for a screen fit flush with the frame so the screen must be attached from the outside. We have a PSC logo on each bronze port, and the measurements appear to be the same as the newer ports, just shaped a bit different at the corners.
I could not figure out how to post a picture but here is a link where I put our portlight photos.
RAIN DOG: PROJECTS AND BOAT PHOTOS

Does anyone, who has this type of port, have a source to buy ready made screens?

If you have made screens could you possible post or send me a link to some pictures?

I have zero complaints about the schooner bay screens, good screens by a good company.

Thanks for any help,
Erika

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2011

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
We ordered new screens from Schooner bay and to our disappointment they do not fit. I have schooner bay screens aboard Ocean Girl, my CD 30 and absolutely love them. Tough and pretty (kinda like my boat) . Schooner bay has been very helpful and willing to take the screens back for a full refund. But that still leaves us screenless.

Our ports aboard Rain Dog are different than the newer PS models. The ports do not have a slight recessed flange to fit the screen from the inside, the flange and retaining bolt for a screen fit flush with the frame so the screen must be attached from the outside. We have a PSC logo on each bronze port, and the measurements appear to be the same as the newer ports, just shaped a bit different at the corners.
I could not figure out how to post a picture but here is a link where I put our portlight photos.
RAIN DOG: PROJECTS AND BOAT PHOTOS

Does anyone, who has this type of port, have a source to buy ready made screens?

If you have made screens could you possible post or send me a link to some pictures?

I have zero complaints about the schooner bay screens, good screens by a good company.

Thanks for any help,
Erika
Coulda sworn we had the same ports and friction fit them from the outside, not inside. Worked great.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 04-11-2011

Thanks for the reply. We tried from the outside also, very tight with the gasket on the screen which causes it to almost buckle and too loose with the gasket off. Either way we fit it the screens have big gaps for bugs to enter. The corners are a bit rounder on the newer ports, we are more square (or it might be the other way around).

Thanks,
Erika

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

Old 04-15-2011

UPDATE: Schooner bay screens do work, with just a little mod.
So for all those PS with the odd sized ports here is what we did.

I removed the gasket from the screens. From the inside of the boat I lined the inside port with a weatherstripping which fills any slight gaps in the screen to port suface . I fit the screen from the outside and secured with copper wire. It looks nice and clean and is very sturdy. I will post a picture soon. It is worth the extra work cause these screens will last a lifetime.
Erika

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

Old 09-05-2011

DosMarinaros is on a distinguished road
After-Market Screens for Oval Portlights

Just a brief follow-up to the previous posts re Screens of Schooner Bay:

We ordered a complete set of screens in May of 2010 from Screens of Schooner Bay for Ruby, our 1988 Dana, hull no. 101 [the last boat PSC built in Costa Mesa]. As is the case with other Crealock-designed PSC models of that vintage, Ruby is equipped with the old style oval cast bronze portlights.

The screens we received from Schooner Bay were flawlessly fabricated and dimensionally consistent from screen to screen; they are a superlative product. However, we also experienced problems with the friction fit of those screens on a few of the portlights, both large and small, due to small dimensional inconsistencies in the inside of the ports’ frames.

We quickly and inexpensively fixed the problem by purchasing clear plastic tubing of appropriate diameter from TAP Plastics, cutting the tubing to a length that corresponded to the outside circumference dimensions of each of the screens. After splitting each length of tubing, we applied the split tubing around each screen’s edge, creating a tight gasket that securely holds the screen in place by friction. The friction fit was strong enough to keep a marauding raccoon at bay one zero-dark-thirty morning until the bandit was run off with a blast of wasp spray through the screen.

An additional advantage of this gasket installation is that it allowed us to install each screen snuggly against the closed portlight, permitting us to leave the screens in place and have the ability to open / close the portlights at will for as long as we are in port or at anchor. We do remove the screens while sailing, and over the past 14 months there has been no apparent wear on the tubing gaskets we fabricated.

Our screens have acquired an attractive patina that complements our bare bronze portlights. Suffice it to say we are very pleased with the Screens of Schooner Bay’s product.

The Cruisin’ Cronins
Melisse & Tim Cronin
s/v Ruby
Pacific Seacraft
Dana 24 No. 101
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /) ~~~~~~

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous people, for they may act their dream with open eyes and make it possible." – T.E. Lawrence

Last edited by DosMarinaros; 09-05-2011 at 05:51 PM.