Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011

myfalkor is on a distinguished road
vertical clearance

I just got a 1978 PSC Mariah MKII and the previous owner does not know the vertical clearance required for bridge passages. Can anyone help me before I hit a bridge?

Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Go up the mast with a tape measure (and measure also the antenna, etc. heights) ... the only 'correct' way to do this.
Old 04-23-2011

Thanks Rich for your reply. I know that is the best way but I am slightly disabled and un able to go aloft. I hoping to find someone to go up but until then was hoping someone knew the vertical height.
As I get into this boat I'm sure I'll have more questions and hope to get some answers.
Old 04-24-2011
kcbillb

kcbillb2 is on a distinguished road
Another option is, in a word, trigonometry. Seriously, it's just a right triangle problem. With the boat moored to the dock, pick a point on the dock and measure from there to the mast. Then measure the angle from that point to the top of the mast. The only problem would be measuring this angle accurately, but that's most likely not an issue unless you're trying to measure the height to the nearest inch. Then just plug your measurements into the appropriate formula to get mast height.
S/V Transmogrifier
1974 Mutineer 15
Old 04-24-2011

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
I posted the following elsewhere.

I took a 6 ft long 1"x1" stick and duct taped one end of a 100 ft steel tape measure to a spot one foot above its lower end. I tied the two ends of the main halyard together and duct taped the lower 1 ft of the stick to the looped halyard so that the stick extended vertically upwards along the halyard. I raised the assembly to the top of the mast with the stick rising above the mast. My wife stood at a distance on the dock and coached me as I adjusted the top end of the stick to match the top of the highest thing on the mast - the VHF antenna. I placed a board abeam across the boat deck and with the steel tape measured down to the top of the board. I then measured up from the water at the side of the boat to the top of the board. Add it all up and I had the distance from the water surface to the top of the highest thing on the mast.

I got lots of advice from on lookers.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 04-24-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hi,

Taking a quick look around, most of the listings for Mariahs indicate a bridge clearance of either 45'4" or 48'4". This could be the difference between Mark I and Mark II rigs (although I had thought the difference was in length of the sprit, not height of mast), or just bad info.

Obviously an exact measurement would be good to have, but for your general purposes, you'd probably be safe if you figured 50' with VHF antenna.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-25-2011

My thanks to all for the advice. I'm going to try them. Will let you know the out come.
Thanks again,
Mike Bartholomew
1978 31' PSC Mariah MKII
Old 07-04-2011

Thanks for all the input. I used Bill Murdocks idea using a 6' stick and duct tape. Result: 44'3'' to top antenna
41'3" to top of tricolor light
40'3" to top of mast.
Thanks again for all the input
Old 07-04-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfalkor View Post
Thanks Rich for your reply. I know that is the best way but I am slightly disabled and unable to go aloft. I hoping to find someone to go up but until then was hoping someone knew the vertical height.
As I get into this boat I'm sure I'll have more questions and hope to get some answers.
Then use a long (100') fabric tape and hoist it up a halyard and add some for the antennas and masthead. Then add for the height above the water. Alternatively, hoist a rope and then measure it, adding a few inches for stretch. There is no need to climb for this.

I would NOT take anyone's word, as the rig could have been modified.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.