Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011
pc237

pc37howard is on a distinguished road
windlass 12vdc

my boat is a 37ft 1991 pacific seacraft, i have a manual muir windlass , has any one changed to a 12v windlass. is it best to put a battery close to the windlass.thanks for the replys pc37howard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011

johnharch is on a distinguished road
I replaced my Muir manual with a Lewmar H3 on my 34 and am very happy with it. I run it straight off the house batteries. I did a bit of research on whether or not to use a dedicated battery back when I did it, but that was four or more years ago and I don't remember the details of the pros and cons. It was, however, far simpler and less expensive to just run large cable than it would have been to install a separate battery and have to figure out the proper charging and cabling requirements to do so.
Old 04-27-2011

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
I just installed a lewmar H3 on my 31. Overkill but the H2 did not get a good review. My 31 came factoy pre wired for a windlass.
The factory ran 2/0 cables from the anchor locker back to the hanging locker just aft of the electrical panel. Behind the panel there was an empty large bus that was fed off the battery switch, This should have been where I landed my 2/0 cable to feed the windlass however....... The cable going back from the selector switch to the batteries is only #2. I found out this is how a boat is set up from the factory w/o a windlass. Since mine came pre wired for a windlass 2/0 should have been used for the battery to selector switch connection and all battery wiring. (California finshed boat)
I butt spliced the cables and ran them back to the house battery. I contemplated a dedicated battery but space and weight were an issue.
Charging the dedicated battery would have been easy with an echo charger however the total cost for an AGM battery, echo charger plus battery hold down and wire would have exceeded the cost of the additional 2/0 cable. Since more than half of my 2/0 cable was already installed my decision was easier than yours.
If you are starting from scratch then the 2/0 cable will probably exceed the cost of setting up a dedicated battery, you may even need larger cable depending on your windlass selection and total round trip cable run for a 37. IMHO If you have the space and don't mind the extra weight then dedicated battery would be my choice.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2011

PCSSailor is on a distinguished road
ELE Windlass on 37

I installed the Muir 1250 (vertical / below deck motor). I ran 2/0 cable to the pannel. While the compartment between the chain locker and the vbirth is ideal for a battery, I to wanted to minimize weight. Nice windlass but not real happy with the chrome pitting. If you can get the stainless or bronze, I'd go with that. FYI there was...is a used Lighthouse windlass at Bacons in Annapolis for a good price. Probably gone by now but worth a call.

Couple of considerations.
1. Strongly consider a horizontal windlass because the anchor locker is small and if for some reason you ever need to crawl in it, you won't be able to with a vertical. Also, they are easier to service. Cons are the motor is exposed to more moisture and they are chunky looking.

2. If your batteries are in the mid ship compartment (at the mast), add the cut-off at that location and run wire directly to the windlass.

3. 2/0 wire, thermal breakers, lugs, shrink tubbing etc. are expensive. Shop around...on the internet...you can find tinned 2/0 military spec for $6-7/foot compared to the outrageous $13 prices elsewhere.

4. I positioned my foot switches close to the toe rail (one on each side) where the bow railing fastens to the deck. I didn't want them near each other, near the windlass (hate to get my toe caught in a 100 amp motor), or out in the open.

5. I ran cable under the cap rail. Pretty easy access except for lockers. Don't forget to jacket the cable anywhere it can rub against sharp objects. Swim noodles fit perfectly around the cable and can be stuffed under the rail.

6. I used pvc elbows connected to a drain fitting below deck to route chain to a suitable drop point.... still gets hung up though.... 200' of chain plus 250 feet of line so it's a little cramped. Sure would be nice if there was a way to extend the pvc just below the vbirth....maintaining a good gravity drop... to the deeper locker further aft. Doubt it would work but it's fun to dream.