What head will fit in a PS34? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 05-02-2011

If it's not the joker valve on your model K, you might want to check the piston rings (although removing the piston assembly to replace them can be a bear). A problem with suction or leakage might occur if the rings are worn or if they were damaged, e.g. nicked or scarred, during a rebuild, which can happen because they are a very snug fit and must be eased in very carefully...I use a lot of grease or petroleum jelly to slide them when doing a rebuild on ours.

You've already warned us not to try to "sell" you on the K, but I've got to say we've had one on JUNO since she was built and it works amazingly well for us -- never clogs, backs up, easy to pump, etc. But, as I mentioned, the rebuilding procedure is a real knuckle-buster.

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-02-2011
Not Finished Yet

I am getting pretty good at rebuilding them. My boat came with a 20 year old K and I rebuilt it 7 times (long story). It worked great except for an unfortunate leak we could never fix. Finally decided to get a brand new K.

First one leaked right out of the box. Tried for a few days to get it to stop leaking. Called Groco and they said it did not look new. Returned it for another new one. This is the one that has very little suction. So we are 0-3. 20 year old one leaked. Two different brand new ones did not work out of the box. After a while it just feels like time to give up and move on to another option.

Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 21 Old 05-03-2011

Was on the boat yesterday and measured my PHII. I measured 13 1/2 inches from bulkhead to center of front bolt. It needs a minimum of 14 inches and that is pretty tight. No way would it work with 11 inches.

Adam
PSC 31 Journey
post #14 of 21 Old 05-03-2011

You might look at the Raritan PHC which is just a PHII pump on their compact base.

Adam
PSC 31 Journey
post #15 of 21 Old 05-03-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, will look at the PHC.
Erika

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

post #16 of 21 Old 05-04-2011
Wing n' Wing

I will have to look up the head we use on our 34, going to the boat soon. during the ten years we had it in charter, we would replace it with a new one from west marine at the start of the season, about $150.00, unbolt, give away, rebolt. never gave any trouble. lot's of use. gave up on rebuilds...
post #17 of 21 Old 05-04-2011 Thread Starter

THANKS!! It would be great to hear what you have Wing n' Wing.
Erika

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

post #18 of 21 Old 05-18-2011 Thread Starter

Could not get the Groco to work, so we have removed and returned it ( thanks to west marine's great return policy).
We are now headless!

FYI I bought a Twistnlock by jabsco ( compact version) and it is too big by about 1 1/2 depth, So it will not work in a psc34.

So the saga continues.
Cheers,
Erika

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~

post #19 of 21 Old 06-13-2011
Wing n' Wing

ps 34 head

Okay, did get up to the boat, time for bottom paint.
While I was there, looked into how we fit the new head.
It is a "Twistnlock by jabsco ( compact version) and it is too big by about 1 1/2 depth;"
So we used a piece of white marine board, 3/8" thick; hung it over the edge of the fiberglass mounting area1 1/2" and lag bolted it to the existing four holes.
Then drilled out four new holes for the new head, with the two inboard holes bolted on the portion of marine board hanging 1 1/2" over the shower drain area.
The head on our's was rotated slightly to a more comfortable angle.
Still a tight fit.
Think I took a photo, will post if I can find it.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-13-2011
Not Finished Yet

We ended up going with a Raritan PHC (Compact version of the PHII, uses the same pump). Like Lansdowne, it was about 1 1/2" too deep. We also used the starboard base to extend the fiberglass shelve. In the end it fits and looks good, but for sure the Groco K is a better fit. Will post photos.

Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.