Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road
Installing a dedicated oil change pump

In the interest of making another dreaded chore less of a drudgery I am considering installing a dedicated oil change pump. Most likely plumbed to the oil drain plug at the bottom of my 3GM35F.

Has anyone tried that might have some input ?

I believe I'll install the pump on the engine room stbd wall next to the fuel filter.

I like the idea of flipping a switch and having the old oil simply poor into a drain bucket. Not sure if this is an option but it would be nice if I could simply (after draining) reverse the process with clean oil. How cool would that be ???

Thanks for reading!
Keith
S/V Charity Rose
PSC 34'
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2011

billbalme is on a distinguished road
Smile

The previous owner of my 37 had installed a pump for just this reason - installed it just below the Racor filter on the starboard wall as you describe. It works like a gem - although in the last year or so, I've had to bang and wiggle the contacts to get the pump going - but it's always started for me. Makes changing oil a breeze.

I recently sold the 37, and now have an Outbound 44. Just to make you REALLY jealous, this boat has a generator too... Both the engine and generator are hooked up to an X-Change-R (X-Change-R® Oil Change Systems Reversible Impeller Gear Oil Pumps Marine Service Maintenance) system which will allow me to drain - and refill both units!

Bill
s/v Toodle-oo!
Outbound 44 #27
Old 05-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
It seems to me to be an over complication for what is after all only a once a year task.

Keeping an uninstalled pump nicely wrapped up for most of the year and only bringing it out when needed seems a good way to prevent things like contacts getting clagged up.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-24-2011

Fortunately, I have not installed one. Equally fortunately, I'm really pleased that the previous owners of both my PS37 and OB44 did! I used to HATE the annual oil change procedure on ourS2 with manual pump out of the dipstick - and then trying not to spill remnant oil out of the silly pump - for years after! I still have that pump - and it still leaks black oil every time I move it from one spot in the basement to another! Any one want a manual oil removing pump - going cheap!

I really like the automation associated with changing oil! (Can yer tell!???)

Bill
Old 05-24-2011

AlLorman is on a distinguished road
What oil drain plug? My 3GM30F doesn't have one, and neither did my previous 2GM20F's. If you've got one, someone added it, you lucky devil.

Al Lorman
s/v Ann West PSC 31 No. 55
Old 05-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbalme View Post
Fortunately, I have not installed one. Equally fortunately, I'm really pleased that the previous owners of both my PS37 and OB44 did! I used to HATE the annual oil change procedure on ourS2 with manual pump out of the dipstick - and then trying not to spill remnant oil out of the silly pump - for years after! I still have that pump - and it still leaks black oil every time I move it from one spot in the basement to another! Any one want a manual oil removing pump - going cheap!

I really like the automation associated with changing oil! (Can yer tell!???)

Bill
ah .. I take your point. I have a mate who comes over once a year, gives the old donk a check up and while he's at it changes the oil. His pump has never leaked any oil at all.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-24-2011

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
On NiftyNickers we have a Beta engine with a oil change pump built-in.
All filters and pump upfront --what a concept.
Previous engine Universal 5432 installed electric oil change pump--Beautiful thing!

Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 05-24-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Something like this oil extractor pump and bucket: Economy Oil Changer Pump - ITT Jabsco 17850-1012 - iboats.com
makes extracting your old oil quite easy and is nearly dripless and clean. Once extracted I bring the unit home and use my car battery (with engine idling) to pour the old oil back into containers for recycling. I hardly ever spill dirty old oil but have spilled clean oil when refilling.
I'm sure it is handy to have an oil extraction/refilling pump on your engine but it does add an extra system that can be damaged or fail.
I use a 12V pump bucket like the one I linked to above twice a year for oil changes.
Your boat, your choice.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Yanmars have the oil filter on the side, anybody figure out how to change the filter without spilling oil?
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 05-25-2011

Unbolt the engine mounts, decouple the prop, disconnect the muffler, attach a hoist, lift the engine till vertical and then remove the filter!

Sorry - Couldn't resist!

I always put an oil blanket right under the filter before spilling dirty oil all over the place... System sucks!

Bill