Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011

adamowens is on a distinguished road
Edson CD-i steering/ Raymarine wheelpilot

Do any of you who own newer 31s with Edson CD-i rack and pinion steering use a Raymarine wheelpilot? I just replaced my Yacht Specialties pedestal with the Edson and I've got remount my Raymarine wheelpilot. I know that there is space between the inner wall of the pedestal and the torque tube but I'm not sure how much. My concern is drilling into the pedestal to mount the post bracket for the pilot.

I contacted the person at Edson that I ordered the pedestal from but he wouldn't give me exact numbers, only said that he couldn't recommend drilling into the pedestal because the clearance was not sufficient.

I have some PSC factory photos of this setup so I know it is possible.

Has anyone of you done this actual install?

Adam
PSC 31 Journey
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012

mcgray is on a distinguished road
New Edson Steering

What model pedasatal, steering etc did you get? What was your solution to the autopilot? What did you do about gear shifter and throttle control? Am considering upgrading my 1989 #56 sterring from the old Yacht Specialities.
Old 01-07-2012

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
Hi Adam,
I did the install on a 2007 two years ago, PSC 31 w/classic CDi. I do not recall having a problem with the clearance off the torque tube. Drill through the pedestal and try not to let the drill bit pull into the work, if you've done a fair amount of drilling this will make sense. You will be able to use the bit ( not turning ) to see how much space there is.
The problem I had with the S1 ray marine wheel pilot is that the factory slot for bracket brought the motor too high which affected my compass . I ended up drilling a new, close to identical, elongated slot in the back of the stationary plate of the wheel pilot to keep the motor as low as possible. It worked well and had no adverse affect on the pilots performance.
I installed the S1 pilot that uses the rudder reference unit, that was a bit tricky. Most likely you are using the gyro equipped pilot which is the way to go. You will be very pleased with the rack and pinion system.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2012

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
Hi Adam,
There is one thing I did not mention in my previous post. I have the single lever throttle/shift that did not allow me to mount the motor of the wheel pilot to the starboard side of the pedestal where it would be low. I had no choice but to mount it to port which brought the motor very high with the standard pre-drilled slot. That is why I had to drill another mounting slot in the back of the pilot.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life