Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011

johnbanfield is on a distinguished road
Staysail sheeting for PSC37

Hi all,
I am converting from sloop to cutter on my 37 and have a few questions:

1. Sheeting - do you actually use the track or does your car stay in the same place (like a lot of my Gennie cars). If so where is that?

2. Sheeting 2 - do you need 2 sets of sheets or can you just use the inner sheeting for downwind too?

2. Running backstays- where do they go to, and do you use a winch or a 5 to 1 block setup? I am thinking spectra with a 9/16 tail to a winch.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by johnbanfield; 06-29-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Senility
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2011

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road
John,
I'm far from an expert, but our 34 is set up with a staysail on roller furling.

1. Sheeting - My cars stay in the same place most of the time, but I would adjust them if I were to roller reef the staysail in a blow, in order to get a better sheet angle.

2. Sheeting 2 - I have a single set of sheets and rarely use the staysail when downwind. When I do I just let the sheet out like you would the jib.

3. I think you mean backstays - they have their own track on the deck (near the scupper drains). Mine are spectra with a 5-1 block. Unless I'm hard on the wind with the boom hauled in tight, they are disconnected from the deck and are moved forward and stowed next to the standing rigging - attached to a ring on the aft turnbuckle. They can't be permenantly attached because the boom cannot swing out very far when they are rigged.

Hope this helps.
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2011

Oops,
Sorry I do mean running backs. Thanks for the info.

Cheers, John
Old 06-29-2011

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
John,

I use T-900 (similar Spectra) spliced with solid thimbles at the running back tangs and use the sheet winches to tension. Works really well. Fewer things to break.

Dave Mancini
s/v Swan
Old 07-01-2011

Cool,
A bit cheaper too....
Thanks for the help, guys,
John
Old 07-30-2011

Followup- track and block sizes

Hi guys,
I have my inner forestay and spectra running backs done now. The sail comes in a few days so it is track and winch time. The setup I am considering for sheeting is

- standup 50 mm blocks on 1 inch tracks on each side

- the port sheet goes back straight to a new series 20 self tailing winch

- the starboard sheet goes through a cheek block at the end of the track, across the cabin, then through an organizer back to the port winch too

So what I'd like to know from any cutter owners out there is

Is 50 mm blocks and 1in track big enough?
Does this setup sound ok?
Any comments on track positioning? I am planning on using the drawing in the Ferenc Mate' Best Boats article as a guide, maybe going further fwd for when it's reefed.

There are already 8 lines going back to the stbd halyard winch so that's why I think I need to gO across the cabin top.

TIA,
JOHN
Old 07-31-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
The stbd sheet setup sounds very weird! Is the track on deck or on the cabin roof? If on deck shouldn't the sheets be run to your genoa winches? (I am also a non expert). On my 37 I have tracks and blocks on both, the coach roof track and blocks are used for a permanently installed boom brake setup. The blocks and track on the deck, inside the shrouds are used for the staysil. They run aft to the primary winches used for the headsail. The headsail track and blocks are on the caprail.

Last edited by brokesailor; 07-31-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2011
s/v Pelagic

jnewcomer is on a distinguished road
Just a comment on Indigo's post about the running backstays' deck attachment points.

Our C37 (1980 vintage cutter/yawl) came with stout pad eyes on deck just aft of the sloping, SS lifeline tube on each side, maybe 2-3 inches aft of the end of the inboard sail track. (Note: The inboard tracks may be a different length on newer boats.)

I am thinking the pad eye with four 5/16 bolts and a backing plate is going to be much stronger than a car on the sail track when the running back is used to counter the forward pull of our storm jib when it's hanked to the inner forestay.

We haven't used the inboard sail track but I think someone on the forum said it works well for a high-cut, yankee jib when sheeted inside the shrouds.

John
s/v Pelagic
C37 #22
Old 07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
The stbd sheet setup sounds very weird! Is the track on deck or on the cabin roof? If on deck shouldn't the sheets be run to your genoa winches? (I am also a non expert). On my 37 I have tracks and blocks on both, the coach roof track and blocks are used for a permanently installed boom brake setup. The blocks and track on the deck, inside the shrouds are used for the staysil. They run aft to the primary winches used for the headsail. The headsail track and blocks are on the caprail.
Hi, thanks for replying.

I have ordered a staysail that just reaches the gooseneck, so now I have had another look at the drawings and learned about the inboard tracks... I assume that there are for larger, overlapping, staysails. Is this the type of staysail you have? It seems for a smaller sail the cabin top ones are a better angle.

(Given the cabin top tracks, my idea for the stbd side is to save a winch by leading the sheet across to the other side through a couple of blocks.)

Cheers,
John

Last edited by johnbanfield; 07-31-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewcomer View Post
Just a comment on Indigo's post about the running backstays' deck attachment points.

Our C37 (1980 vintage cutter/yawl) came with stout pad eyes on deck just aft of the sloping, SS lifeline tube on each side, maybe 2-3 inches aft of the end of the inboard sail track. (Note: The inboard tracks may be a different length on newer boats.)

I am thinking the pad eye with four 5/16 bolts and a backing plate is going to be much stronger than a car on the sail track when the running back is used to counter the forward pull of our storm jib when it's hanked to the inner forestay.
Hi,
I agree about the running backs block point, and have a becket on the cheek block each side that is double bolted and should be stronger.

From these posts it sounds like all cutters came with both cabin top and inboard deck tracks, as well as those on the caprail. Is this right? Can you please tell me where they start and end, and how far in, or does someone have a photo?

Thanks,
John