Anyone have experience rebuilding vertical electric windless ? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011
s/v Cool Breez'n

lukinc is on a distinguished road
Anyone have experience rebuilding vertical electric windless ?

I have a VRC vertical electric rope-chain windlass on my
1993 Pacific Seacraft-37 that I am going to rebuild.

I removed the motor but have some concerns about removing the gear box.
(the ger box is below deck in the chain locker).

It looks like the gear box is bolted to the windlass (obove deck) with 4 stainless hex head bolts. The grear box flange is aluminum and I believe the windlass flange is bronze (at this point I cannot see the flange above the gear box flange so I'm guessing its bronze). Does anyone know if the flange that the hex bolts are threaded into is bronze?

Does anyone have any experience removing the bolts that hold the gear box to the windless? Or removing the gear box? Am I going to find that the bolts are frozen to the aluminum flange? Any suggestions to make disassembly easier?

Thanks

Craig
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2011
Coastal Sailor

SalishCraig is on a distinguished road
Rebuilding Muir Windlass its not as hard as it looks

Last weekend I removed my vertical Muir windlass with help from the experts at IMTRA Corp. I was concerned that the 4 stainless steel bolts would be frozen to the aluminum gear box but that wasn't really a problem...seperating the shaft from the gear box was.

I was told by the service manager at IMTRA that after removing the 4 stainless steel bolts that connect the aluminum gear box to the brass windlass, I might not be able to slide the gear box off of the shaft. He was correct.

He then told me that its easier to take apart the windlass from the top down, and discribed how to remove the rope capstan, chain capstan and clutch plate (with pawls). Remove the rope capstan using a winch handle (if you already removed the bolts you'll have to put them back first). Remove the chain gear by removing the screw with a 1/8 allen key (this was really hard and I when the screw finally loosened I thought I actually broke the allan key instead.
The clutch plate is removed by tapping out a retainer pin. YOu might have to rotate the shaft to allow the pin to clear the windlass deck plate.

Put a old deck cushon under the gear box so when it drops it makes a soft landing. Once the clutch plate is removed just tap on the shaft and it will drop through the deck.

The IMTRA service manager said I'd need to take the gear box with shaft still connected to a machine shop to have the shaft pressed out with a hydaulic press. I took mine to Ballard Electric and they used their 20-ton press to push out the shaft. It took a great amount of force before it budged and when it did it made a loud pop. Shaft and gear box appeared unharmed.

I'm waiting for shipment of a new motor and gear box now. I'll update this thread after I install the new parts.

Craig
Old 10-10-2013

s/v lucita is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone have experience rebuilding vertical electric windless ?

I have just read your blog about removing a muir winch .I am doing that now and can not seperate the deck plate(everything above deck removed) from the gear box .Any tips? thanks hank
Old 10-10-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

we found it did help to have an instruction manual...my lofrans has one, so we rebuilt it 2 times in 3 yrs and mebbe it might live.... good luck.. might be able to find an online manual to use

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2013

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

I have had my Muir 800 vertical windlass apart twice; both times due to the destruction by corrosion of the aluminum spacer (or adaptor) between the aluminum gear box and the bronze windlass base. Muir in Australia provided me with assembly and installation information for their newer windlasses which are near matches for my older one. Imtra in the U.S. sold me the parts needed for the repairs. Both companies were a pleasure to deal with.

In addition to the spacer, the first failure destroyed both the gearbox and the motor shaft keyway and required the replacement of all the below deck equipment. We caught the second failure of the spacer before any additional damage was done to the drive components and only the spacer had to be replaced. Both times I was able to easily remove the Bonfiglioli spacer and gearbox along with the attached CIMA Motori 12v motor from the bottom of the windlass without any real problem. After removing the wiring and the four bolts, the entire assembly simply slid off the shaft.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

Tags
help rebuilding windlass , windlass , windlass rebuild