SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Need advice on buying a new genoa (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/76337-need-advice-buying-new-genoa.html)

okapi3 07-15-2011 11:27 PM

Need advice on buying a new genoa

I brought my torn genoa to the sail shop at my marina (Quantum Sails) and after inspecting my sail he told me it was severely UV-damaged and wasn't worth repairing.

He quoted me a price of $2800 for a new 130% for my PSC31 with padded luff for furling and their highest quality sun protection strip (Sunbrella I think).

Does anyone know what kind of price to expect for a new sail like this? Do you think I should shop around online? How can I know how Quantum's sails compare in quality to other shops? It sure would be convenient to be able to walk from my boat to the sail shop and for them to be able to walk over and look at the sail on the boat if there are any problems.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (donations, too:().

teejayevans 07-16-2011 05:55 AM

That price sounds good to me, a 100% quoted from factory cost that much 7 years ago.
Tom

deniseO30 07-16-2011 09:06 AM

I got a 140 for less then $500 used from Bacon sails in Annapolis ms

AlLorman 07-16-2011 11:53 AM

I bought a Rolly Tasker (Thailand) 130 RF genny for my 31 with foam luff and Sunbrella sun shield from National Sail Supply in Florida for $1,495 plus about $25 shipping. It is a well-made sail and if it is not as good as a Quantum, it costs half as much.

I'm in Annapolis so you're welcome to have a look at the sail.

Al Lorman
PSC 31 No. 55 Ann West

stevemac00 07-16-2011 11:55 AM

Last year for my PSC31 I had a new 135% made using Challenge's 7.03 ounce Low Aspect, High Modulus sailcloth with a dacron UV cover. I got a 135 size but added a padded foam luff to give the sail better shape when rolled up to a 120 which I need for better balance in +15knot winds. I couldn't have been happier with the result and we sailed in all kinds of offshore weather. Absolutely no regrets. Cost was $2301. Make sure they quote you on the type of cloth being used so you can compare appropriately.

Call Charlie at Dorsal Sails (920) 743-4126. Even if you want to get something locally, give Charlie a call for his advice. He's also been mentioned in Practical Sailor. His website is Dorsal Sails and Canvas

jrd22 07-16-2011 02:21 PM

I'll second Al's recommendation for Rolly Tasker/National Sail. I had both headsails made by them(3 years ago) and couldn't be happier with the quality of workmanship and the fabric. I've had sails "made" by local shops and even for twice the price wasn't as impressed. No affiliation.

okapi3 07-17-2011 04:40 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice and experiences. I see there is a lot of variability in price. I want to go with a new sail, not used. I'll have to be careful to compare the same quality of sail cloth when doing my shopping. I suspect I can probably get a very good sail from an outside company for a lot less money than at my local shop, and with a quality company and shipping being as low as Al says, the convenience factor may not be such a big issue. I will get a quote from Rolly Tasker and contact Charlie from Dorsal sails.

Any other success stories? Any lemons?

mdbee 07-17-2011 05:50 PM

Sails are very complex creatures. There are many variables when buying one. Certainly the cloth is one item but even that can be hard to compare, with the limited information most lofts give you. (for that matter some don't have a clue about some of the more technical issues of the cloth) There are many different types of cloths than come under the same broad name. (have you ever tried to compare bed mattresses?)

There is also the issue of where you normally sail, local conditions, how you sail (racer, cruiser) how much wind you are comfortable with. How often you sail...

There are many dimensions to measure as well. Your old sail measurements. Also,whether you were happy with it. Pictures even of your old genoa while under sail can even be of help in designing a new sail. A minimum of about half dozen (closer to a dozen) measurements of your boat and it's rigging.

The list is almost endless that a good sailmaker will ask you.

On the other hand 75% of people won't know the difference and can buy something off the shelf with the "standard" measurements. And admittedly, some people go a bit overboard. :)

okapi3 07-17-2011 09:34 PM

I believe I'm one of the 75% who won't know the difference. I won't be racing, just cruising, but I want something that points well and can stand up to offshore conditions and the captain's lack of experience, and won't need to be replaced for a long long time. I guess I will recognize a "good sailmaker" by how many questions he asks. ;) Fortunately I don't need this sail in a hurry, I've got other headsails I can make due with until I find what I'm looking for (but that assumes I know what I'm looking for).

Pegasus34 07-17-2011 09:37 PM

A couple of years ago we purchased a 130 for our PSC34 from Charlie at Dorsal Sails in Sturgeon Bay, WI. I recall we spent about $2,200 and have been very happy with the sail.